coal load - modelling
- planty
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 169
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Wakefield
- Contact:
coal load - modelling
Anyone know of either
A) whether any shops sell resin or similar coal loads for wagons? Saw in some old posts modeltown and andel used to but nothing on their sites now
B) what scratch built options people have used for modelling coal loads (i haven't access to real coal without having to buy a bag, so crushed real coal probably not a cheap option for me)
A) whether any shops sell resin or similar coal loads for wagons? Saw in some old posts modeltown and andel used to but nothing on their sites now
B) what scratch built options people have used for modelling coal loads (i haven't access to real coal without having to buy a bag, so crushed real coal probably not a cheap option for me)
- ge_rik
- Administrator

- Posts: 8005
- Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
- Location: Cheshire
- Contact:
I use crushed coal - to my mind it's the most realistic even when scaled down.

I make my loads removable so I can run the wagons Down the line loaded and return Up the line as empties.
I'll happily send you a bag of coal for the cost of postage. Since we've replaced our fireplace with a multi-fuel burner which only burns logs or smokeless, I still have some real coal left over which I'll happily bag up for you.
Rik
I make my loads removable so I can run the wagons Down the line loaded and return Up the line as empties.
I'll happily send you a bag of coal for the cost of postage. Since we've replaced our fireplace with a multi-fuel burner which only burns logs or smokeless, I still have some real coal left over which I'll happily bag up for you.
Rik
- planty
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 169
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Wakefield
- Contact:
- ge_rik
- Administrator

- Posts: 8005
- Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
- Location: Cheshire
- Contact:
Plenty of PVA. A base layer of coal, then a couple of increasingly smaller layers rising to the centre of the wagon.planty:106892 wrote:How did you secure/seal the coal to the removable base?
In hindsight, I should have given the plywood insert a coat of matt black before applying the PVA. The PVA dries clear eventually.
Rik
-
Gralyn
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests