Page 1 of 2

Small Tipper Wagon Kit

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:15 am
by Alan P
So impressed was i by Phil Sharples Small Welsh Coal Wagons that i decide to try another one of his kits.
This is his Small Tipper Wagon Kit. It only arrived yesterday so just a quick pic of the parts for now.

Image

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:33 am
by Alan P
Well the first one is complete apart from paint and couplings. I've made a crude attempt to get it to tip.

Hope Phil won't mind me chopping his wagons about too much :?

Image

Image

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:14 pm
by MDLR
Oh, dear - I see another rake of wagons coming on (which will make three new ones.............)

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:54 pm
by tom_tom_go
Great little wagon you have there.

The copper/brass additions would look the part if you chemically blackened them.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:06 pm
by Alan P
Paint & various chemicals will be applied shortly.   ;)

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:52 am
by Howardws
I have one of these wagons and think it is superb for the price. I hope to run a couple of rakes for my chalk quarry. I have a problem though. The chassis is 28mm wide and the wheels have a boss on the back so it is impossible to set the wheels at 28mm back to back. I've removed the bosses and can now get an acceptable 28.2mm back to back. Have I assembled the wagon incorrectly or is it a design fault?

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:01 pm
by Alan P
I've just measured the wheels back to back and on mine the distance is 29.5mm. That's with the wheels as they came, i agree it's not
the optimal 28mm but my little wagon runs around my line fine. I have quite tight curves (30" radius) and i'm using Peco 32mm track.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:48 pm
by Howardws
I'm hoping to use Chad Valley track in my quarry and the radius is about 15"! The wagon wouldn't go round without the wheels lifting. 28mm is the 32mm gauge back to back standard. Perhaps Wonkeyblue will see this and make his frames narrower!

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:24 am
by Chris Cairns
I've got a similar problem with his Beer Barrel Wagon kit.

There was no problems during a dry build, however the slots for the chassis frames appear to not have enough sideways allowance after you have painted the clear plastic (acrylic) chassis frames. Fortunately they are flexible enough to be bent inwards to allow a standard 28mm back to back without the wheels binding up.

Chris Cairns

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:58 am
by 90733
My dads seen this and looking into it :)
Isn't the back to back 28.4mm though? I've always thought it was?

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:56 am
by Howardws
The 16mm association standard is 28mm - I've just checked!

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:46 pm
by 90733
Howardws:112955 wrote:The 16mm association standard is 28mm - I've just checked!
Cheers, from what he's said, I think he's going to thin the frames down.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:40 am
by GTB
90733:112873 wrote: Isn't the back to back 28.4mm though? I've always thought it was?
28.4mm is the back to back for coarse scale O gauge wheels in model railway standards in much of the world eg. North America (NMRA) Europe (NEM) and Aust. (AMRA), all of which are compatible.

It's only that rainy little island off the French coast that uses 28mm.......:roll:

Apparently the BMRSB had something called a 'unified' standard in the early '50s that had a B to B of 28.5mm so that coarse scale wheels could run on fine scale track. Now sunk without trace, just like the BRMSB........

Regards,
Graeme

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:08 pm
by Alan P
Ok, here is the finished wagon. Unfortunately i like this just as much as the coal wagon so i guess i'll just have to get some more :?

Image

Image

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:43 pm
by Andrew
That looks fantastic! I wasn't sure about the MDF finish, but you've made it look very realistic... I must resist buying some...

Andrew

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:00 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Cracking - I can just picture a rake of those rattling along on an ironstone tramway.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 pm
by Alan P
Thanks Andrew. Painting is very definitely not my strong point but i asked Phil how he achieved the finish on the ebay listing photographs and just followed his instructions.
Still don't think mine is as good as his but it's not too shabby :?

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:17 pm
by Alan P
Mr. Bond of the DVLR:113012 wrote:Cracking - I can just picture a rake of those rattling along on an ironstone tramway.
Thanks Zach. Phil dosen't appear to have any more Tipper Wagons lsited at the moment but i'm quite taken with his Flat Wagon Kit With Slatted Ends. Oh dear, here we go again :?

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:25 pm
by Annie
I really like the look of these tipper wagons, but unfortunately Phil doesn't do overseas postage :cry:

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:47 am
by Alan P
Annie:115962 wrote:I really like the look of these tipper wagons, but unfortunately Phil doesn't do overseas postage  :cry:
If you want one or some Annie i'd be happy to purchase them and ship them out to you.