A little "Ruston"

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
DLRdan
Driver
Driver

A little "Ruston"

Post by DLRdan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:07 am

Thought I would show you all the newest addition to the DLR fleet. It is based loosely on a Ruston LAT, while not a scale model I've tried to incorporate the major features of these little locos. The body is a pretty basic box made from various thicknesses of plywood with plasticard detailing on top. The exhaust is a left over bit of copper pipe. Those that read my Ruston Repaint thread may recognise the gear box design, this one follows the same pattern but with a round seat instead of square.

The chassis is one of Phil's from Ebay and is rather nice. Its based on the Hudson Hunslet locos and builds into a very solid base. As can be seen in the last photo it has a sub chassis carrying the running gear leaving the external axle boxes for display only. An initial test with the stock set up was very disappointing, with a max haulage of 2 small wagons. With that in mind I set about fitting 4 wheel drive which involved opening out the wheels, axle bearings and gear to fit an 1/8" axle. In doing so I managed to break a small section of the frame away (oops). With all that done I tried again only to find that I had increased the haulage by another wagon.

During the test the postman arrived so I left the chassis skidding on the loop with its short test train. Upon returning the chassis and its train had left the loop and was now progressing around the garden with out any trouble, it was even able to take the rest of the wagons I had out. What I think happened was while the wheels were slipping the glossy surface on the plastic wheel had been rubbed off leaving the rougher surface under it. As a result the loco has tons of grip and the train in the pictures is now no issue.

If the weather stays decent I may do a short video of the loco in action.

One last thing, the blocks of steel aren't for extra grip. They are to stop it pulling wheelies :D
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:55 am

Beautifully done.... all very neat and tidy and looks good with your stock there.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:30 pm

Marvelous to see it up and running, these diesels of yours appear to be getting smaller with more things packed in them...
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:50 pm

Bring it to Peterborough next year...................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:55 pm

Lovely little loco Dan, it captures the look of the prototype superbly. :D

daveyrd11
Cleaner
Cleaner