Roundhouse Harlech Castle, radio control springs.

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Warwickshiresteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Roundhouse Harlech Castle, radio control springs.

Post by Warwickshiresteam » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:28 pm

I have recently become owner of a brand new Harlech Castle and needless to say it is really quite superb. There is however one niggle that really annoys me, and that is when you let go of the rotational speed control in instantly resets by springs to central 'Off', thus to keep the loco running you have to keep hold of the dial; no chance to run Harlech whilst getting up steam on another loco, or do a bit of lineside maintenance whilst running. It also makes it more difficult for younger children to run and has the possibility to go from flat out to dead stop pretty much instantaneously, possibly causing derailments.
I am sure it must be possible to take apart the controller and remove the springs; has anyone done this and is it quite straightforward? Does it create any other problems?
I'm sure I can't be the only person who finds this annoying and that someone must have solved the problem. It's an ABSIMA CR2S.V2 system in case any has experience of it on another loco. Any help gratefully received.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:32 pm

You should be able to turn the controller off once the loco speed/direction is set and it will remember these settings until you turn the controller back on?

I remove the springs from my R/C controllers so take yours apart and have a look.

Warwickshiresteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Warwickshiresteam » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Thanks Tom Tom; I appreciate I can do that but it relies then on re-setting it back at pretty much the same place when switching it back on, and is not perhaps practical for children. Also raises the possibilities of altering the settings of the small knobs which the instructions say should not be touched.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:51 pm

My "Little John" came with a pair of washers that could be inserted behind the control knob - they seem to increase the resistance and thus remove the "centre off" function. I take it there's nothing similar in the bundle you received from RH?

Andrew.

Warwickshiresteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Warwickshiresteam » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:59 am

No, no washers with mine but gave me the idea - I've made a couple of crude (to be improved upon) card spacers and wedged them behind the wheel to act as a brake to overcome the spring's effects. Needs a little fine tuning with slightly thinner card but the principle seems OK. Thanks for the idea!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:17 am

Glad it seems to be working!

I read the downloadable "Little John" owner's manual after replying yesterday and notice that they now seem to be supplying O Rings to do the job of the washers - so that's another option.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Warwickshiresteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Warwickshiresteam » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:43 am

Sounds a good move. I did contact Roundhouse initially detailing the problem and asking about removing the springs but, perhaps oddly in light of what you have said, they did not suggest something along those lines. Still sort of sorted, so thanks again.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:23 pm

I had a similar niggle with the ACOMS controller for my Criccieth Castle. I was very careful taking it apart but couldn't find a way of removing the spring. I was also very careful putting it back together with the spring still in place. Problem was the thing never worked again.
In the end I had to buy another controller and consequently a new receiver with the complication that entailed. I eventually got it working but the horn wouldn't operate. I was so pleased I'd got my trusty diesel working at all that I put up with it for a while till I got some help and got it working with the help of some other area group members at a steam up.
I'm now out of pocket for a new controller and a RC receiver which works very well but I still have the initial problem.
My advice is if you don't know what you are doing jam a bit of shaped wood into the holes in the handle so that the wood jams the spongey part of the rotational speed control.
Good luck.
:shock:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Warwickshiresteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Warwickshiresteam » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:38 am

Andy - many thanks for the warning ! This has ruled out forever any thoughts of trying to remove the springs and I shall progress with the 'spacer brake' idea. Hope you get yours fully sorted soon.