The Backyard & Southern Railroad (BS RR)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:37 pm

Latest update:

The RailBoss system developed a snag. Seems that when running at anything above 75-80% throttle going forward would cause the esc to shut down abruptly. I would have to back the throttle down to 0% and allow the esc to reboot before starting forward again. This problem didn't occur when running in reverse.

An exchange of emails with the RailBoss' developer never rectified the problem although I have to give him kudos for attempting to resolve the issue. The last resort being to send the RailBoss to him to be tested for $25.

I figured I'd save the money and put it towards another option... that being the purchase of a ProBoat ESC which has the simple forward/reverse feature I want. I picked one up for $42.

Temporarily stuffed the ESC into the hood of the Davenport...

Dropped in the LiPo...

And shot a video of the test run...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVy82WWpzuc

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Spent the afternoon finalizing the positions of the ESC and the on/off switch. I used velcro to hold the ESC and the LiPo battery. Time will tell how well it holds up to the job.

Positioned the on/off switch on the left side of the hood.

The only remaining component to position is the receiver seen here riding loosely in the cab.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:22 pm

Forgot to post this short video of the rc components temporarily installed and the engine tested.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TVy82WWpzuc

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:27 am

Back in 2006, I bought an Accucraft Ruby kit and a ready to run Ida.

After building Ruby, it and Ida became dust collectors on my bookshelf since I lacked a garden railroad. When I began building this railroad in mid-May, I purposefully built it level with the plan that someday I'd run steam.

Today was that day. Ida had the honors of being the first to be fired up and take away my live steam virginity. Aside from some minor finger tip burns, all went well and I'm enjoying the learning of how to run live steam. :)

Here are a couple of short videos of Ida running down the track. Tomorrow's plan is to fire up Ruby for her first time as well.

https://youtu.be/3n7tx-OqcQc

https://youtu.be/vDTys7IZhvY

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:00 am

looking good I like the davenport conversion looks very good

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Very nice - those little locos really suit the line, looking forward to seeing them with a train behind them too...

You might want to change the sound card though, not at all sure about the police car siren sound effect in the second clip...

Was hoping for a run myself this weekend, lovely weather but, alasb, I've been stuck indoors...

Andrew.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi Dwayne,

Nice to see an update and even nicer to see some steam in action, your loco looks great, I look forward to seeing Ruby put through her paces.

I have to say that your railroad is looking really established, it's amazing in such a short time. It blends into the landscape like it's been there for years. You should be proud of your efforts.

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:08 pm

Fellas, thanks for the kind words. Definitely plan on changing out the sound card... makes the foxes behind my property in the woods yip yap like crazy.

Ran Ruby for the first time and she's going to require some tuning... typical of machines that are referred to as "she". :lol:

The line still has a long way to go before it takes on a more established look. I shot this photo last week after our first rainfall in a month. On the positive side we only had three or four days that topped the 100°F mark this year. On the negative side we must have had weeks of mid-90's temps that took a toll on my monthly water bill trying to keep anything green from turning brown.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:44 am

A couple of days ago I found some long lost Ozark Miniatures coil spring braced journals in a box in my storage shed. Very fortuitous as I've been wanting to put together a short string of identical freight cars for the BS. I already had three pairs of Sierra Valley wheelsets on hand and a quick fit showed that the axle ends fit inside the journals perfectly.

I took a piece of scrap wood and began ripping some side and end beams on my table saw. Squared things up by eyeballing everything as I added the journals to the frames using CA.

Added cross members to support the tanks...

Glued down some planks on either end of each car...

A preview of the finished cars behind Ida.

All that remains to complete them is prime and paint the tanks, paint the journals and install some link & pin couplers. Maybe add some details though I tend to forego adding small details as I like modeling using the "10 foot rule".

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:03 am

Looking good!

I quite enjoy adding detail, but I don't think it necessarily adds to realism - from a usual viewing distance, your 10' for example, I reckon realism's more down to the overall look, the shape and proportions of a model, and the paint finish. Sorry, didn't mean to start musing untidily all over your thread, I think what I really mean is - detail or not - if they're anything like your little IC loco then these tank wagons are going to look great...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:18 pm

I too love detail but at this stage I'm keen on getting things up and running to satisfy my need for instant gratification. Chances are I'll add detail at a later date when the weather completely goes to hades and I find myself inside looking out with nothing to do except add detailing that I put off today. :D

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:36 pm

Sprayed the cans (formerly filled with chicken broth) with grey primer. Next on the agenda is to fabricate some link & pin couplers.

I met with a couple of fellow 7/8ths members here in my area and after breakfast together we visited the home of a Bill Martinson who lives in Norman, OK. His layout is a simple, folded dog-bone without switches. He uses code 250 aluminum rail slipped into plastic tie sections. Radii are tight, about 48" I'm guessing.

I ran Ida around a few times on his layout. This was his first time he or David Miller have actually seen a live steam engine operate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UeCPP80xWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nwPxLlssjM

And a final video of one of Bill's extremely well scratchbuilt and detailed critters traversing his track. Simple on/off switch with a single speed. Bill tends to enjoy building engines and freight cars more than operating though after seeing my radio controlled equiped Davenport also run around his track, he's interested in maybe outfitting an engine with rc to get a start with that aspect of running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ttqMqB0e40

Dave is anxious to get his layout started as he and his wife just recently moved into a new place and he has plans for a layout already going through his mind. He hopes to get it laid and operational by next spring. I gave him seven LGB switches I never used (they were given to me) to give him a push into getting started. :)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:30 am

I love Ozark miniatures models. I bought a few of them for my Dad to go with his little live-steam engine, and I saw them after he had built them. He is an experienced modeller, but I was very impressed with the level of detail already present in the kits. Very impressed indeed. For the price, it is uncommon to see this level of detail in a wagon from the U.K. They look like very well-made scratch-built models... but they're kits.

I prefer British-outline rolling stock myself, but the Ozark kits almost made me change my mind.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:57 am

Started fabricating the link & pin couplers after work today. Nothing fancy, just using materials out of my scrap box. Managed to get two of the tankers completed this evening.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:28 pm

Today marks a major milestone for the BS RR. The line's first freight consist was put together and set into operation. :)

Video of the first run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bMg0B-UDOg

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:18 am

Thats nice Dwayne, well done. Like the speed and smooth running.

Must also admit, I spent most of the film wondering what would happen when the dogs realised it was coming their way!!
Philip

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:38 pm

The girls behaved well. It was their first time seeing an entire train rolling along the tracks. They'd gotten use to single engines so they had to check out this new thing out. :)

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:58 pm

Today I picked out the location for the first switch for the BS which will serve Sciurus Carolinensis Pecan Company... the reason I started building tank cars whose beauty is that one can't tell if it's full or empty, unlike a ore car (skip).

It took about two hours to get most of the switch built. I didn't have time to fabricate the points which I hope to complete tomorrow evening.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:39 am

Finished the switch and laid the track for the siding. Next up is a small bridge to cross the dry creek located a couple of feet from the switch. And then a structure for the pecan oil company to load the tankers.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:53 pm

Nice work, very nice. Quick too. I wish I could work that fast!

Don't forget a little bit of flare on the end of your check and wing rails, it helps avoid flanges striking the check rail end on and climbing off the road! :evil:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"