L&B mad Mallet project
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:24 pm
I have been taken by the 009 masterpiece "County Gate" for some time. The thing I loved on the "what might have been" extension to the L&B to Minehead was a realisation of a suitable goods loco to cope with the proposed gradients - The mad Mallet, a Manning Wardle that has been put on a diet of steroids. I was given permission of this loco's originator to use the attached drawing to illustrate.

The original idea was to produce it in live steam form using modified Roundhouse kit with a body formed from etched brass. However on second thought I felt I would be way overreaching myself both financially and in terms of skill level.
All the bits have now been bought to produce an R/C battery powered loco with the body fashioned from 100 thou plastic sheet, power units and motions from 2 Bachmann Annie' chassis (possibly not ideal as the are outside frame not inside as per the picture) and a host of detailing bits from GRS. Phoenix do a very nice white lining transfer sheet that will avoid the need for an expensive lining service.
Got as far as cutting down one of the Bachmann units and re-positioning where the connecting rods pick up. That and the boiler barrel being fashioned. Might need some specialist services to modify the connecting rods. Now a bit of head scratching and taking a deep breath to go on. Will update as and when things happen. Max.

The original idea was to produce it in live steam form using modified Roundhouse kit with a body formed from etched brass. However on second thought I felt I would be way overreaching myself both financially and in terms of skill level.
All the bits have now been bought to produce an R/C battery powered loco with the body fashioned from 100 thou plastic sheet, power units and motions from 2 Bachmann Annie' chassis (possibly not ideal as the are outside frame not inside as per the picture) and a host of detailing bits from GRS. Phoenix do a very nice white lining transfer sheet that will avoid the need for an expensive lining service.
Got as far as cutting down one of the Bachmann units and re-positioning where the connecting rods pick up. That and the boiler barrel being fashioned. Might need some specialist services to modify the connecting rods. Now a bit of head scratching and taking a deep breath to go on. Will update as and when things happen. Max.