Garden Railway TV Series

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Garden Railway TV Series

Post by SpudUk » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:00 am

Hello Folks,

I've recently re-watched the Discovery Channel's Garden Railway TV series on YouTube (not sure of the overall feeling of the show on here, but I endure it), and I was wondering if anyone knew if John Besley's Exe Hill Light Railway still existed? It can be seen here are around 10 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4YkNqZK0os
Chris Auckland

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:40 pm

I'm afraid that line had a very short life indeed, I think it was taken up not long after the series was filmed, and John is not in the hobby at all now as the religion he took up prohibits him from having hobbies... :roll:
That series, and in particular the EHLR is the main reason I'm into garden railways, something about that line just looked so right.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:46 pm

Thats a great pity about the EHLR. That little inspection car is lovely. I wonder what happened to it.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by listerboy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:30 am

laalratty:105336 wrote:I'm afraid that line had a very short life indeed, I think it was taken up not long after the series was filmed, and John is not in the hobby at all now as the religion he took up prohibits him from having hobbies... :roll:
That series, and in particular the EHLR is the main reason I'm into garden railways, something about that line just looked so right.
If there's one thing I hate it's religion telling people what to do. That was a lovely railway, I hope the diesel went to a good home.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:09 pm

The railway channel series is largely to blame for my involvement in garden railways as well. Criminal that a chap so talented should be forced to stop.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:47 pm

What religion did he join? I can't think of any mainstream ones that forbid hobbies.
Each to their own but frankly that kind of narrow mindedness is not good for anyone.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!