New Loco for The OVLR.

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

New Loco for The OVLR.

Post by Gralyn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Just back from the Llanfair Garden Railway show where I bought a Prestige Models "Danny" 0-4-0 Diesel outline Loco coloured Black. All you need to get it running from out of the box are AA batteries. The loco is supplied with a battery holder to make up to 12v but I didn't have enough charged batteries for that so I fitted a 9v battery pack and switched on, set the speed controller to mid way, and let go .
Three hours later the loco was still pulling a train weighing in at 3lbs and ran for another hour, before switching off, with an additional wagon weighing in at 1lb.
This is my first experienced of running a "Free of Control " loco and I find it a great way to have something running whilst doing other things around the garden and railway. The loco can be seen running on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYbk1FVRiNw
Regards Graham.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:00 pm

I think these locos are great. I was very tempted with the last one on John Suttons stand but common sense prevailed at the last minute. I think it will be on my list for next time.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:23 pm

I dithered for a while as there was an Accucraft 0-6-0 Electric loco in 45 mm Gauge at a similar price. The thought of having to modify and add a battery pack and speed control was the points that swayed me to the "Danny" - to be able to run without any further fixing other than the batteries. There are already lots of thoughts on detailing the loco in my mind and I think there will be more as I watch it Chug around The OVLR. A sound module come to mind.
Regards Graham.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:34 pm

That's a "put a train on the track and sit down with a bottle of beer to watch it go round" loco!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Wise purchase I think, the Dannys are excellent locos for the price, with plenty of scope for adding detail. The fact that they have bevel gears rather then worm and wheel is a big plus point in my mind too, they will freewheel rather then lock up solid when no power is applied.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."