Llareggyb Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
SteveC
Cleaner
Cleaner

Llareggyb Light Railway

Post by SteveC » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:32 pm

At some point in the next three weeks, the Director of Finance of the Llareggyb Light Railway has said that I can get on with the site survey. The plot is about 25 x 15 metres, although not all of it will be railway! It is to be based on a fictional 2ft gauge Welsh line, using 45mm track, of which we already have just over 20 metres. The idea is initially a single track with a small yard at one end, and a balloon loop at the far end. I have been told that there has to be a water feature with a bridge, the DoF is thinking along the lines of the bridge at Barmouth, but I think that's a bit ovetr the top!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:42 pm

That is a wonderful bridge and in a beautiful setting too! If I were you I would go along with the plan, at least in theory, and you will receive your just reward.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:59 am

A working model of Barmouth bridge would truly be an achievement! However in garden terms, unless you have a lake rather than a pond, its length would be something of a problem. more of an issue would be the sheer number of piles that would need a flat and very solid base to sit on. Again difficult to achieve in a garden pond, which normally has a flexible liner.

Whatever you decide, welcome to the forum. There is lots of experience and help available here, you just have to ask.
Philip

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:18 am

Welcome. Waiting with bated breath :shock:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:06 am

Go for it. My view is nothing adds character more than bridges and real water. I am sorry we had to raise our pond but the ground conditions dictated it. Look forward to seeing this develop.

MVL Bridges
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by MVL Bridges » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:11 pm

You mean something like this?
This is a double bowstring I completed for Simon Kennedy. He supplied me with this photo once he had the bridge in place. It's one of the best bridge reflection photos I have seen with one of my bridges.
Forgive the plug but take a look at my MVL Bridges website if you want some ideas for bridges.
Good luck with your railway.
Michael
[/img]

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:17 pm

oh what a shame having to have a pond and bridge, sounds great and really like the bowstring in the picture.

SteveC
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SteveC » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:54 pm

Certainly something along those lines. What a superb model and picture. Sadly I can't start on construction for another 12 months, as we have to wait until the house is ready for habitation. Meanwhile I'm looking at a lot of other layouts, and doing some of the smaller bits of modelling, like rolling stock that I can ship out ahead of the move.

SteveC
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SteveC » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:38 pm

Didn't get very far this time round. The site matches that drawn up by the surveyor, so plenty of room. I've checked the levels, and the maximum gradient at the moment is 1:36 and is along the shortest side. The soil is going to be a bit of a problem as it has a lot of stones in it - actually I've just had a new septic tank put in and one rock they dug out was over 0.5 metre across! The local rock is schist which splits nice and easily and is pretty soft for working. I've also found a local free source of sandstone.