Plastic hose in the boiler

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
AFGadd
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by AFGadd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Keith S:95805 wrote:Water boils at a much higher temperature than 100 degrees when it's in a vessel under pressure.
I think you'll find that the heat required to boil water increases as the pressure rises but the water temperature remains at 100 degrees centigrade. At 100 DC water boils into steam.
The fundamental principle of a locomotive boiler is that the water keeps the copper firebox from melting.
As I mention above, the water remains cool enough to prevent the lead in a fusible plug from melting.
Andrew

AFGadd
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by AFGadd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:26 pm

AFGadd:95806 wrote:
Keith S:95805 wrote:Water boils at a much higher temperature than 100 degrees when it's in a vessel under pressure.
I think you'll find that the heat required to boil water increases as the pressure rises but the water temperature remains at 100 degrees centigrade. At 100 DC water boils into steam.
The fundamental principle of a locomotive boiler is that the water keeps the copper firebox from melting.
As I mention above, the water remains cool enough to prevent the lead in a fusible plug from melting.
Actually, now I've sat and thought about it I may be incorrect.

However, my reasoning still stands, in a boiler set to 40 psi the water can only reach 130 DC. Not hot enough to melt the plastic tube I would hazzard?

The point I'm making is the temperature inside the boiler (the water) is never as high as most would imagine?

The burner will of course, will be much hotter.

I still believe that the loco will be fine to steam, I've just tried dipping the end of a length of RH rubber hose (attached to one of their syringes) into a boiling kettle and it was absolutely fine. No deformation at all.
Andrew

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:07 pm

AFGadd:95809 wrote:
AFGadd:95806 wrote:
Actually, now I've sat and thought about it I may be incorrect.

However, my reasoning still stands, in a boiler set to 40 psi the water can only reach 130 DC. Not hot enough to melt the plastic tube I would hazzard?

The point I'm making is the temperature inside the boiler (the water) is never as high as most would imagine?

The burner will of course, will be much hotter.

I still believe that the loco will be fine to steam, I've just tried dipping the end of a length of RH rubber hose (attached to one of their syringes) into a boiling kettle and it was absolutely fine. No deformation at all.
The issue with this is when put into boiling water for a short time period plastics will soften. Running a loco is typically 30mins of boiling water. This is not considered a short time for plastics to last. Even though it may just appear to deform, the heating of the plastic will cause it to 'sweat' and will leave trace amounts of plastic in any water. This can then in turn make its way through steam passages and is likely to present problems. Unless the plastic is specifically manufactured to withstand high temp for a long time period (which I doubt) I would not risk running.
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

Woodfields Light Railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:39 am

Is it out yet?
"So, when is this newfangled railway coming?"
"When we have enough money..."
"Where is this money coming from?"
"Havent thought that far..."

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:54 am

Is there a solvent that could be used to disolve it then wash out the boiler?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:55 pm

Woodfields Light Railway:96299 wrote:Is it out yet?
Thanks for asking. No, I haven't had time to look at it.

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:96327 wrote:Is there a solvent that could be used to disolve it then wash out the boiler?
My first thought was acetone, mainly from the experience I've had in the labs of pouring some into a plastic weighing boat to come back 20mins later to find acetone everywhere and a flat weighing boat :lol:

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:25 am

The hose is out! :D

Yesterday I got time to take a look at my loco again. I dismounted the boiler and after some heavy shaking I could spot the hose. Then I spent some time fiddling with different tweezers before I found out I could use two. One through the safety valve hole and one through the steam outlet hole. Then it was easy to get the hose in position to grab it by the end and drag it out.

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:07 pm

Well done glad you got it out. "Don't do it again".
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Congratulations! :lol: :lol:
Philip

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:01 pm

perseverance often pays, well done..

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Glad you've managed to sort that little saga, one for other members to be wary of in the future
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Well done! From now on use a long hose ;)
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html