R/C Hudson Hunslet Project

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

R/C Hudson Hunslet Project

Post by alan2525 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:11 pm

This is a little R/C electric loco I started making last year. Powered by 5 AA NiMh batteries with a compact R/C car Electronic Speed control, Just testing it with a 40Mhz AM receiver, eventually will have the full size Receiver replaced with a micro 40Mhz FM unit. Frames are just temporary aluminium strip. I've machined some from Brass and have some nice brass buffer beams and fabricated multi-height coupling too.

Loco performs well, gives a very scale speed with the worm reduction from the IP engineering gearbox, 1.5mm Footplate gives it a lot of weight too. Only 2 wheel drive as such a small prototype hard pressed to fit chain and sprockets to give 4 wheel drive.

Controllability is good and can inch forward a mm or so at a time with the car esc. It really needs a sep powersupply for the R/C though, maybe a 9volt PP3 battery.

I would have persevered with this loco but it's just really too small to fit in all the bits that I wanted.

http://alan-briggs.fotopic.net/p54392109.html
For Custom CNC Engraved Nameplates and Worksplates
http://www.loco-plates.co.uk

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:25 pm

Cracking little model there.

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:25 pm

Looks very nice!
Passengers are reminded not to tease the engines

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:47 pm

Lovely, I was going to make a 7 1/4 gauge one of these once, but financially, I wasn't prepared to bother!!! Super little loco, will you manufacture these with your superduper machinery?

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:08 pm

I was going to make this in brass, the styrene was just a trial run to ensure everything fitted in. I like the look of it, the only problem, for the amount of work in fabricating the parts, it's really just too small to be of much use in a garden railway.

Also if I wanted to market the loco I can't see where it would fit in with the smaller white metal kits from the likes of IP and the bigger more toylike but still quite cheap IP Jessie etc.

I think i'll go back to it when I have some time free though, you can pretty much fit everything inside, even the miniature receiver can be poked away under the drivers seat, it would make a quite convincing scale model, but with full R/C and a fair bit of weight and quite torquey pulling power too.

I was thinking of producing a small 0-4-0 diesel battery loco with R/C, but have been looking at drawings of some of the small Rustons.

I'm still undecided though, but definitely based on actual prototype than freelance.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:29 pm

Well I'll tell you what, I've not seen a Huddy Hunslet in 16mm comercially before... so it could well be a good seller... ;)

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:01 pm

IP do a looky likey but in all honesty if not painted well it looks quite naff

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:29 pm

Everything looks naff if it's not painted properley, and I.P don't do one of these!!

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:11 pm

Didn't IP do a hunslet that was all made out of lasercut styrene with little crude white metal axle boxes araldited onto the sides?

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:12 pm

SB like i said
IP do a looky likey
Please read posts before jumping in as the big I AM

ta!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:13 pm

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:18 pm

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:22 pm

And this is a www.frheritage.org.uk/wiki/Harold
When it was green we use to take the poor thing seriously.

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:25 pm

SillyBilly wrote:And this is a www.frheritage.org.uk/wiki/Harold
When it was green we use to take the poor thing seriously.
Thats a big old thing tho 39 hp! Mine is the 24 hp!

I quite like my little loco finished in red primer and needing a bit of a superficial make over! It seems to be quite appropriate for a Small NG diesel. Runs pretty well, but dog slow, not very glamorous, in need of a paint job and with the gear needed to run it just tucked up inside the cab!

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:59 pm

Whats the verdict about this little Ruston for a possibility of making an R/C battery 16mm loco?

:crybaby: or :love10:?

I've come across a set of drawings for the loco, and were thinking about the possibility of making it the contender for a small batch of garden railway loco models.

It is a typical small industrial loco, I rather like it, it's not pretty but it does look rather rugged and would make a nice little workhorse., plus it has the advantage of being a type that nobody has actually made a commercial kit of!

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:18 pm

Yeah, I like that too! Go ahead, if the motor and gearbox are tough, should be a brilliant loco for pulling skips about etc. I've been wanting one, since the Newlyn system used a couple, so suitably 'Cornish'!

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:35 pm

go for it!

Would you start with a small batch and work up or just make say 50 and try and flog em all?

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:41 pm

made-in-england wrote:go for it!

Would you start with a small batch and work up or just make say 50 and try and flog em all?
Would be more for fun really, and maybe build a few to order depending on the interest. Batches would only be 10 or so at a time.

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:06 pm

I've bought some Meccano Gears and some geared motors for the Ruston. I bodged a little rolling chassis together out of some meccano plates today.

Using a worm gear with a central output shaft, driving the two axles via sprockets and chain drives. Running it with an RS540 on 4.8 volts and it chuggs along quite happily! I'll need to do something with the axles and wheels as at present to fit everything within the 32mm gauge the sprockets are running slightly out of line. Actual loco will use a small 280 motor with a neat little reduction gearbox. When I get to test the loco with its r/c and electronic speed control I may have to tweak the reduction required to get more of a scale running speed.

I'm using the rcs train radio control as I've heard great things about it, should be an interesting project as it's all new ground for me!

I really wanted the wheels to fit with a grub screw rather than a press fit on the axles, so it's a little crowded fitting everything into such a tight space.

I'll keep you updated! Once I've got the running gear sorted I'll cnc up the frames and spacers to make the basis of a proper loco.

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:04 pm

The 4.8 Volt battery was just one I had around to test the running gear. I've been advised to use 12 AA Batterys for the RCS system! Which is going to be a task fitting them all in as I'll have to have multiple packs mounted around the loco. One thing about it, it should have no worries about being too light to get any traction!

:D