Paddock Garden Railway - SVR

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
dougrail
Driver
Driver

Paddock Garden Railway - SVR

Post by dougrail » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Afternoon folks,

I'd say the Severn Valley Railway is my 'local' line - and what a 'local line' to have :D One of Britain's top three lines, 17 miles each way running with a variety of stock and a GWR/BR theme - two good pubs and three Western Region hydraulics, [2 Westerns and a Warship, plus an out of use Hymek] what more could I ask for? 8)

Well, the fact that one of its intermediate stations - Hampton Loade has a 16mm live steam railway [32mm gauge] to boot of course!

After three years of a number of casual visits and a few chats with the resident steamers, learning the hobby or just coming to have a nose and take photos, I finally got to actually steam up and run my own stock on the Paddock Garden Railway - another long term ambition realised.

Today I elected to take my Accucraft Caradoc, "Cadno" and the TR rake with me as they had not had a run since March.

First run...

Through the yard...

Train formation

Large trains...

For my train, I was allocated an extremely convenient siding connected to the main line from where the loco could be stabled, stock serviced and running tweaks made as required as the shed was becoming full.

When my loco ran out and ended its journey, another Caradoc steamed on to take its place!

Some of the other locos on shed...

RH tender William coming off shed...

RH Billy with a nice matching rack of stock

RH 'Cric' diesel on shunting duties

RH William comes off the depot turntable...

And commences dutis for the afternoon

Tunnel view...

Two Caradocs side by side...

########################

SECOND HALF:

RH Millie 'Taurus' was also lit up and steamed off for a 'Snowdon Mountain' style special excursion...

Meanwhile, on the Big Railway, this beauty came through!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also had the privilege of seeing the ELR Engineering's coal-fired NGG16 Garrett in action in running - very fetching shade of blue and a very reliable runner to boot - coal fired, whistle fitted and RC - very swish 8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Cadno' for the off again...

Little Trains, Big Trains...!

~

Over the viaduct...

Around the lake...

And through the deopt again...

Last Train of the Day...

On shed with the Garrett

Close-up

And time to go home.....

Train to Bridgnorth!

Warship again :D

And a well-earned pint at the King & Castle whle awaiting my mainline connection.

Job done.

I'd say it was a pretty great day for what was a short trip [not getting to the PDR until 1:30pm, leaving at 5:30 for the Severn Valley train back to Kidderminster. All going well, I shall hopefully be going again and making a full day of it!
8)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Nice pictures (and a nice line - ran there for the first time this year) but some of the images aren't appearing...............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:10 pm

localish to me as well..(I am in redditch)

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:52 pm

A perfect day out!

Had a brilliant day myself on the SVR a few months back. I caught a glimpse of the Paddock Railway but it was freezing cold - started snowing briefly- and there was no one at the 16mm line.

Enjoyed a trip in the teaks behind the large prairie, which I'm told is coming out of service soon for a major overhaul and boiler cert.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:45 am

MDLR:84892 wrote:Nice pictures (and a nice line - ran there for the first time this year) but some of the images aren't appearing...............
Thanks Brian - it's first time for me too and it was a very enjoyable, challenging drive - the steep back around the depot is something one must be aware of. :)

Strange about the images though? They all appear to me at the time of typing :shock: - try again?
jay1976:84895 wrote:localish to me as well..(I am in redditch)
Nicely done. I have to travel from Walsallish - bus to Bham, train from Moor St to Kidderminster, then steam train upto Hampton Loade. Just under two hours I count each way. Shorter than some of my other 16mm trips...! [and conveniently timed too ;)]
invicta280:84902 wrote:A perfect day out!

Had a brilliant day myself on the SVR a few months back. I caught a glimpse of the Paddock Railway but it was freezing cold - started snowing briefly- and there was no one at the 16mm line.

Enjoyed a trip  in the teaks behind the large prairie, which I'm told is coming out of service soon for a major overhaul and boiler cert.

It was a near perfect day out - save for the immense signalling delays on the way home - made up for by a trip to the pub and a pint of Bathams :)

The PDR runs strictly on Sundays only, from March to mid November, with Dec-Feb being maintenance and dormancy in the cold weather.

I visit the railway some Saturdays and get the diesel diagram...when it's a specific diesel hauling it. ;)

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:48 am

Thanks for posting Doug, it looks like a very nice day out :D
(It also reminds me that I have to put together a 32mm rake of stock! ;) )

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:06 am

I went through Hampton Loade the other week - but had no idea that the 16mm railway was there - whereabouts at Hampton Loade is it?

Must pay it a visit.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:41 am

Si:84911 wrote:I went through Hampton Loade the other week - but had no idea that the 16mm railway was there - whereabouts at Hampton Loade is it?
http://goo.gl/maps/eD1V8 - in the area above the triangular grassy area, next to the track - you can see how close from one of the pictures above..
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Cheers! I went right past it then, as I was going off down the cycle path...must keep eyes open next week!

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Found it today....now all I have to do is go on the right day!

Got all excited when I ready the notice inviting anyone to bring their 16mm stuff along for a run, but then noticed it said 'live steam', so rules out my battery diesels....probably for the best as doing 20 miles in my panniers probably wouldn't have been good for them.

However, my memory has been stirred and I realised that I've heard of the railway before. One of my archaeology friends told me that he'd been called in to do the pre-construct work before they built a new narrow gauge railway at the SVR. Got all excited until we found out that it was to be a model (not that the model isn't exciting, but would have preferred the real thing!).