My collection so far..

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

My collection so far..

Post by jay1976 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:45 pm

A few pics of my garden railway rolling stock..I dont as yet have a railway in the garden just a test track.. I plan to start building next year some time but before then I want rolling stock of things I like as well as track (I dont have loads of cash to buy new bits so all mine are either cheap bargains or secondhand items.)
A wooden guards van I bought off ebay also there is a grey wagon van I bought from same buyer.

2 mamod wagons which are the first things I bought 2 years ago.

A few other wagons bought cheaply.
A lima wagon

timpo wagon

Hudson hunslet I bought 2 weeks ago runs on battery power and quite slow.

A faller loco bought for 99p at a charity shop 2 years ago.This is electric power but I am converting it to battery.

and at same shop for same price a faller I think diesel shunter again electric power but is being converted to 7.2v battery power.

A nova bigbig train shunter bought cheaply along with 2 tipping wagons. I have also bought another 2 tipping wagons but as yet they havent arrived..The loco is battery powered and this may be converted to radio control.

Thats all my rolling stock so far..
Last edited by jay1976 on Mon May 06, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:48 pm

vid of the hudson running on a test track indoors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gsAnlgybmg

and 1 vid of the lima shunter running on hornby tin plate track..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSeIWYwumFY

A vid of the faller shunter running on a 7.2v camera battery .This was temporary wired up to a camera battery to se how quickly it runs,This is also the first run it has ever done on track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... mKu0Q&NR=1

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon May 06, 2013 6:58 pm

I was watching a few of those items on eBay ;)

Glad you are happy with them, good start!

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:01 pm

The seller with the hudson usually sells a few of them during the year,that loco and the lima one are the most recent locos bought this year and the 2 grey wagons/guards van are also recent(april) I plan to add centre buffers to all stock so they all have the same coupling

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:10 pm

Some interesting stock there, I like the faller stuff, its a great bashing basis. I recognise the Hudson, my dad built it :)
Thanks
Jack

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:25 pm

90733:83137 wrote:Some interesting stock there, I like the faller stuff, its a great bashing basis. I recognise the Hudson, my dad built it :)
This is the listing I got it from..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190826114648? ... 1439.l2649

I did ask the seller if he was making any more as I could do with another..he said his son lazer cut them and they made 1 up every now and then..
I was happy to pay the price as well(£37.99 delivered to the door) came with 2 aaa batterys installed which I have since replaced with rechargables and stuck the batt box to the cab floor and covered with a bit of black cloth to look like a tarp folded onthe cab floor(the cloth is some of my glasses cleaning cloth)

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:02 pm

That would be me he was on about then :) I haven't cut any recenly but might be doing some more soonish.
Thanks
Jack

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:20 pm

I got the seller as my fav seller on ebay..
Only bad bit (and thats v minor)about them) its a bit light which I am in process of adding more weight from lead pellets under the bonnet and inside the chassis has now got a few lead strips by me doing the extra weight it runs very smoothly and pulls all my stock on a test track..
like I say I am v happy with them.. oh and I need to add A driver(wife said I need a female driver)

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 pm

jay1976:83146 wrote:I got the seller as my fav seller on ebay..
Only bad bit (and thats v minor)about them) its a bit light which I am in process of adding more weight from lead pellets under the bonnet and inside the chassis has now got a few lead strips by me doing the extra weight it runs very smoothly and pulls all my stock on a test track..
like I say I am v happy with them.. oh and I need to add A driver(wife said I need a female driver)
Yep, I can understand them been a bit light, the one I've kept is too,the problem with ply,doens'tway much. Thank you for your positives though. very much aprecciated!
Thanks
Jack

Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

My Collection

Post by Catweasel » Tue May 07, 2013 1:38 pm

I als have one of the Hunslets,but with a cab. I took it apart and fitted 4 wheel drive. That made a big difference. If any more become available I'd have another, preferably unbuilt though.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way.

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:23 pm

that was also my plan to add double axle drive..I was just going to use a pulley on each axle and a stretchy metal band...but really once i added the weight it will pull all my stock ok.I do plan to add a second switch to alow even slower movement and painting the switches to look like cab controls..

Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

My Collection

Post by Catweasel » Tue May 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Similar to mine. I changed the switch to give me forward and reverse, then added a second for cutting 1 battery.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way.

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:05 pm

mine already had forward and reverse with off being in the middle..I adapted the battery wires on the battery box to accept a plug in the cab so no need to remove the box to change the batterys,I may even repaint it at some time and add a few details..Been a warm day today so I left it running round and round my tin plate test track till the batterys went flat which took about 5 hours of constant running but also the batterys had already been used for runing for 2 hours or so the week before (total of about 7 hours give or take a hour as I didnt really time it exactly)
It ran round and round with 3 wagons..

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:20 am

hudson with its macdonalds pirate driver..in this pic you can see the charging socket i added between the axles so no need to remove driver and the cover over the rechargable batterys..
even the faller got the charging socket added with a radio control car 7.2v battery stick which just fits inside the body with a small amount of trimming....the big big train one also got the same with socket right at the front I used the original battery location with 4 rechargable batterys I also fitted a rehostat to slow the big big one down a bit..
direction switch added on the roof.

direction switch has been put in the roof and the original switch has been removed(it didnt work very well anyway) also removed the couplings and the stock now fits closer together it can push the wagons along ok as well..