Meths Burner

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Meths Burner

Post by fred » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:35 pm

Dear All, can anyone help me YES IT IS ME AGAIN! :oops: I have won a Mamod meths burner off Ebay, how do you fit it to Loco? :?: I have taken rear buffer off but still won't fit, I know it must sound stupid but I can't work out how it fits in, the wick holders - the 4 pipes sticking up seem too high
Many Thanks
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!
'WILL IT GO ROUND THAT CURVE?'

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Re: Meths Burner

Post by mhlr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:21 pm

It depends on what sort it is. Normally, they just slot into the frames like a burner tray. I presume you won the one with the wide tank. Im not sure, I think the rear of the loco will need modifying.

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Meths Burner

Post by fred » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:56 pm

Dear Pete,
yes you have the right one, the tank will sit comfortably on the floor of the loco, the long tank slides neatly into burner slot, BUT the pipes that hold the wicks are far too high to fit into the burner slot even with rear off, I don't know whether to cut down the wick holders (4) down to a size that will just slide into burner slot and then they won't foul bottom of boiler, it does mean that the pipes will only be 1/4 to 3/8ths high.
I emailed the seller and he said it was bought for old type engine which mine is, do you think I should cut to above height :?
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:20 pm

Do you have a camera? If you do, it could help with some pictures to see exactly what is happening (pics say a 1000 words ;) ).

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:21 pm

I'd wait for Chris Cairns to reply he has quite a decent knowledge of such modifications.

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fred » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:00 am

Dear Pete,
here is a photo of the burner it is the 4 upright pipes that are too high
Image[/img]
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:58 am

Fred dont shorten the burner tubes. that burner fits under the loco. I believe CCairns has one of those and would be able to explain how to fit it very well :D

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:33 am

Hi Fred.

It is a pity that you did not ask about this burner first, but even then I would have been unable to reply in time being in internet-less Aberdeen.

Unfortunately these burners require some serious surgery to your loco that I would not recommend. I've not got one, or even photos of one fitted (although seen one fitted on an ebay loco some time ago).

It requires you to cut off the rear chassis frames to allow the tank to fit under the cab floor, and I think it is held in place with the clip on the front of the tank going underneath the brass rear boiler cover where the combustion chamber has been bent horizontally to allow a solid fuel burner tray to fit.

Your posting has highlighted the fact that I've not posted a topic in this Forum (have done on the other Forum) on the various burners available (I've 3 different Meths Burners & 2 different Gas Burners).

The Meths burner I would recommend is the IP Eng one, as fitted to the IP Jane, but these usually go for almost new price on ebay. It has now been remarketed by Dream Steam - http://www.dream-steam.com/upgrade_parts.html 2nd item down, which is a better package than the same burner sold by PPS.

The one sold by Chasteam & Forest Classics has a design fault which makes it a worse burner. I'll try and get a burner comparison topic done at some point.

Sorry it is bad news I've posted this time. I’d stick it back on ebay with some careful wording in the listing to get some money back.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:26 pm

OK my guide to some of the Mamod/MSS burners is now up in the Library - http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/sutra9738.php#9738

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Meths Burner

Post by fred » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:59 pm

Dear Chris,
thanks again for help it was only £12 +pp so it is not too bad, does the one on DreamSteam need any alteration to Loco if not I'll go for that, I do not want to alter the locos in any way, will look forward to your reply ;) by the bye do you want to buy a burner :lol:
Kind Regards
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:08 pm

If you read through my Burner topic in the Library Fred for the meths burners you will see that you may have to file the slot out a little in the rear drag beam, and shorten the screws holding the side tank panels to the chassis frames below the cab floor. But these slight mods are not noticeable and I've done it on most of my Mamods & the 1 MSS that I keep as runners (I've got several which are for collection purposes only).

Sorry but that burner is no use to me, but it is not the 1st I've seen on ebay either (wish I had saved the photos of the loco which was fitted with one).

If you do go for the Dream Steam Meths Burner I would recommend a water top up valve as well if you've not got one. An uprated safety valve is also a good idea for meths burner fitted locos, but not essential.

You can see how this hobby gets very addictive!!

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Meths Burner

Post by fred » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Dear Chris,
thanks for that comparison video and the photo and list, it is great to learn this way, I built a webpage at freeweb and have mentioned this forum - but didn't ask first - hope this is O.K
yours
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Meths Burner

Post by fred » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:23 pm

Dear Chris if you want to see a bad site go to  www.freewebs.com/fred7 please don't laugh too much it was late and I am going to have to redo it  :oops:
I cannot get rid of that Bhudda pic no matter what I do
Kind Regards
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:30 pm

Is that vertical boiler stationary loco yours Fred? If so it looks very interesting as I have an engine that's very similar with a horizontal boiler and have only seen one other of a similar design.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:33 pm

lovely site Fred, I love the TE1A, very nice! I look forward to seeing more on there!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:26 pm

Welcome to the world of Freewebs Fred.

There is a way of replacing the heading photos in those templates, but I cannot remember how at present, and I cannot log in to Freewebs (probably too many people on their site at present).

Looks like you have really caught the steam bug alright with a Wilesco D21 & a Fleischmann 226 Schöpfrad (Pumping Station).

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:43 pm

OK finally got on to Freewebs.

Log on, go to 'edit my site', select 'Edit Titles & Footer', not sure about the new site designer so select 'old page click here', and then you have the Site Picture/Logo at the bottom. May not be able to edit this depending on the template used.

Hope this helps Fred, as that is how I changed the default newspaper photo to one of my SP3 instead on my website. No time at present to update my site either.

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Meths Burner

Post by fred » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Dear William, yes it is my little vertical, I used a smaller than usual paint pot and put a wick in and a very tiny hole as a meths burner, linked boiler and flywheel with R/C silicone tubing and she goes like a 'bat out of hell' I use a screw as a regulator ;) don't know where boiler came from no name or that, got flywheel off Ebay
Yours
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Meths Burner

Post by fred » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:04 pm

Dear Chris, thanks for kind words and help, will try and see what I can do ;)
Yours
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Meths Burner

Post by fred » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:06 pm

Dear Eric, many thanks for the info on freewebs I'll try it out tomorrow, and see if I can depose him :lol:
Yours
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!