Page 1 of 1

Echoes of 1947

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:28 pm
by davefort
As the builder of a garden railway set in the early post war period, the recent snow gave an opportunity to re-create the infamous winter of 1947. For a 5 inch gauge railway, the few inches of snow that fell equated in scale to the few feet of snow encountered during that awful winter.
I had hoped to get fully into the swing of things by steaming up a snowplough train on the Cats End Railway, but a frozen water column put paid to that; in retrospect this was probably just as well as If I had run the train, I fear that the driver may have ended up with a similar complaint!
Even without an engine in steam, however, the snowbound landscape looked quite picturesque. The photos below illustrate recent winter scenes interspersed with pics taken at roughly the same viewpoints last autumn.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Excellent pictures, I do like the idea of a scale landcape for 5 inch gauge. What is your overall track plan and have you got any video?

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:35 pm
by Big Al
Agree with Mr Bond wonderful looking railway, like the night photo.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:41 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
Some of the snow pictures would look excellent in black and white!

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:26 pm
by Stewart Gethin
Lovely railway. Must ask though, what is the deal with that tunnel at the top of the platform?

Stew

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:41 pm
by KjellAn
Very nice pics. :D

A bit of additional info

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:36 am
by davefort
Thanks for the comments one and all. In answer to your queries, the track plan is very simple comprising a ‘main line’ approximately 90 ft long with a single siding leading to a ‘quarry’. Only the last third or so of the railway is scenic, the remainder going down the alleyway and across the drive. The tunnel is very short. I would like to have made it longer but for some reason my neighbour does not want me burrowing under his house; also driving a train into the tunnel tends to decapitate the somewhat over-scale driver!
I will try to sort out some video to send in the near future.
You’re right, James, black and white does enhance the pics, giving an atmospheric look. Sepia also give a 1940s feel. A couple of examples are attached below.
Dave

Image
Image

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:04 pm
by davefort
As promised some video. Just low quality stuff that you can download for now, but I think you may find the second one amusing - it shows how the Cat's End Railway got its name. Hopefully better quality footage to follow.

Dave

Image
Click to download file

Image
Click to download file

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:46 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
videos don't seem to be working,

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:49 pm
by invicta280
Delightful railway. Enjoyed the vids. A couple of hair raising moments.
I feared for the driver as you headed towards the tunnel, and for the cat who seemed to regard the approaching loco with the aloof disdain for which cats are famed.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:52 am
by davefort
Thanks. I'll get the cat one day. May have to tie the little dear to the track though, as he always seems to jump clear at the last moment.

Some people seem to have trouble playing the video. I think QuickTime Player should work if Windows Media Player doesn't.

Dave