ESME Mk II

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Post Reply
MDLR

ESME Mk II

Post by MDLR » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Tonight, I've started work on my partially built (bought on Fleabay) IP Engineering Lollipop Railcar. Unfortunately the previous owner (who I think may be a Forum member) had subscribed to the "use as little glue as possible" school of thought, with the result that a lot of it fell apart when I started on it! Still, it's all NEARLY in one piece again and the wheels, axles, gear and chain sprockets are all sorted.

Pictures tomorrow (maybe)

Catweasel

Esme

Post by Catweasel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:44 pm

I know what you mean Brian. Happened to me a few times.

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Made some more progress today - decided I didn't want a "flat" look and I'd already decided not to use the lights so I planked the body with planks from coffee stirring sticks, of which I have a LARGE stock!


Image

More pictures and words at: http://www.mdlr.co.uk/loco12.html
Last edited by MDLR on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 pm
Location: Stockton

Post by Steven.T » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Looks good Brian, can't beat coffee sticks for planking!

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Looks good Brian are you going to paint or stain it

User avatar
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver
Posts: 2372
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:55 pm

The problem I found with my IP Lollypop Railcar is that the strip wood used is so small that it is difficult to get glue to take a proper hold.

Thus it remains in a fragile state until you get the roof on, but I've still got some painting & wiring to complete before the roof can go on.

What glue do you use Brian?

Chris Cairns.

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:43 pm

For the "Woodwork" I've used PVA - when it comes to attaching the axleboxes and the radiator and exhaust I'll use 5 minute epoxy. I'll probably use Evo-stik for the roof and to fix the switch just inside the sliding door.

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:21 pm

................... and to answer Dave, I'm doing a bit of all sorts! The ends will largely be painted Warning Panel Yellow, as the loco's going to be operating in an industrial environment. The sides are going to be green garden furniture stain, the the bulkhead behind the cab will be wood stained and the underframe and axle boxes will be painted!

Jerm
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:06 pm
Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

Post by Jerm » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Loving it so far. The planking gives it a nice hefty work-a-day look.

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:04 pm

Image

The name and number plates have now arrived and I've attacked it with the weathering powder.............

It remains to be seen whether or not the matt varnish affects the finish.

More pictures at:www.mdlr.co.uk/loco12.html

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:33 pm

Blimey, thats a bit grubbier then I remember the Mark 1 version being!

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Nothing on the MDLR was ever weathered, but there's going to be weathering (and battering of wagons) on Flagg Fluorspar...........

User avatar
Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm
Location: Kent

Post by Gremlin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Nice, seen a few wooden things looking like that.

User avatar
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver
Posts: 2372
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:52 pm

That has a very nice industrial look to it now Brian.

I have a similar Lollypop railcar which awaits finishing in my workshop. I notice you have mounted the 4 wheel drive chain with the same amount of slack that mine currently has. Does it run OK like that or would it benefit from having one more link removed from the chain (I intend doing that but I'm finding it difficult to get the shortened chain to join properly)?

Chris Cairns.

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Chris Cairns:81345 wrote:I notice you have mounted the 4 wheel drive chain with the same amount of slack that mine currently has. Does it run OK like that or would it benefit from having one more link removed from the chain (I intend doing that but I'm finding it difficult to get the shortened chain to join properly)?
It runs fine, and I couldn't get that link out, either!

Thanks for the compliment, too!

Jerm
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:06 pm
Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

Post by Jerm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:43 pm

Nice weathering! I've never found a need to weather when I run outdoors, so it always strikes me as odd that someone should. But given the situation. I've been watching this little line develop since it was first announced and so far pretty amazing!

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:12 am

I've been of the same mind, but for Flagg Fluorspar there's going to be quite a lot of weathering....................

Lner fan Sam

Post by Lner fan Sam » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:09 pm

What brand of reversing switch do you use brian for your ip engineering loco kits?

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:17 pm

ESME came with a slide centre-off switch - otherwise I've gor RS Components ones, though I've nearly run out................

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests