Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:39 pm

Interesting comment Phil. I must admit, having tried AAA's elsewhere and being dissatisfied with them I was reluctant to go in that direction. However, since reading your post at about 2.30 this afternoon I have had my Simplex running on 8 off, 950 mAh, rechargeable AAA's on a rolling road, and it is going like a train (sorry!) still at 18.30. I'll see how far it goes (time-wise) and decide later. Certainly there are advantages in going smaller.
I don't need any of my stock to do marathons as I very rarely use them. Once satisfied they work they end up put away in a box and brought out for exhibition use only.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:31 pm

Well, 8.30 pm and still going, I think I am convinced.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:04 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:31 pm Well, 8.30 pm and still going, I think I am convinced.
Modern miniature motor designs are very efficient and Slaters may well use coreless motors. The little railmotors I've built in recent years use a 6V N20 type motor and gearbox and will run for 3 hours or more on AAA size rechargeable batteries. Depending on the wheel size and max. design speed, all the models are fitted with either three or four AAA cells. Even the kids don't manage to run them flat when they visit. I usually lose interest after half an hour and can't remember the last time I ran a model long enough to run the batteries flat.

A 12v version of the N20 motor would draw half the current for the same output power and thus run for twice as long, but the downside of the higher voltage motor is that it requires twice as many cells in the battery. All engineering design is a compromise.........

If you are like me and don't run models that often, then seriously consider using Eneloop batteries. Unlike other NiMH cells, these will hold a charge for years. Most modellers complain about the extra initial cost, but I think it is worth it, as I rapidly got tired of keeping batteries charged when I don't run trains that often. Then having to replace dead ones when I forgot, let them run flat and left them that way for too long. The cost works out much the same over time. Generic NIMH cells were lasting only a few years, but I haven't replaced an Eneloops cell since I started using them six or more years ago.

The sun made a rare appearance this morning and I decided to run a test train to make sure the track was clear after a pruning session the other day. I deliberately chose Railmotor No. 1 which last ran three and a half years ago and hasn't been recharged since. I let it orbit the track for 45 mins. before I got bored and brought it back in to put it on the charger.

The speed of the railmotor stayed at a constant 17 scale miles per hour (smph) for the duration of the run and it travelled about two thirds of a real mile (3000+ft) in that time. The speed didn't drop at any time, so there was still a charge left in the battery after the run.

Regards,
Graeme

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:52 am

GTB wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:04 am
Peter Butler wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:31 pm Well, 8.30 pm and still going, I think I am convinced.
Modern miniature motor designs are very efficient and Slaters may well use coreless motors. The little railmotors I've built in recent years use a 6V N20 type motor and gearbox and will run for 3 hours or more on AAA size rechargeable batteries. Depending on the wheel size and max. design speed, all the models are fitted with either three or four AAA cells. Even the kids don't manage to run them flat when they visit. I usually lose interest after half an hour and can't remember the last time I ran a model long enough to run the batteries flat.

A 12v version of the N20 motor would draw half the current for the same output power and thus run for twice as long, but the downside of the higher voltage motor is that it requires twice as many cells in the battery. All engineering design is a compromise.........

If you are like me and don't run models that often, then seriously consider using Eneloop batteries. Unlike other NiMH cells, these will hold a charge for years. Most modellers complain about the extra initial cost, but I think it is worth it, as I rapidly got tired of keeping batteries charged when I don't run trains that often. Then having to replace dead ones when I forgot, let them run flat and left them that way for too long. The cost works out much the same over time. Generic NIMH cells were lasting only a few years, but I haven't replaced an Eneloops cell since I started using them six or more years ago.

The sun made a rare appearance this morning and I decided to run a test train to make sure the track was clear after a pruning session the other day. I deliberately chose Railmotor No. 1 which last ran three and a half years ago and hasn't been recharged since. I let it orbit the track for 45 mins. before I got bored and brought it back in to put it on the charger.

The speed of the railmotor stayed at a constant 17 scale miles per hour (smph) for the duration of the run and it travelled about two thirds of a real mile (3000+ft) in that time. The speed didn't drop at any time, so there was still a charge left in the battery after the run.

Regards,
Graeme
Very interesting and useful information. :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:38 pm

The Dandy wagon is now complete and ready for work, although the pony isn't so keen.....
IMG_9111.JPG
IMG_9111.JPG (117.46 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
IMG_9113.JPG
IMG_9113.JPG (112.21 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
IMG_9116.JPG
IMG_9116.JPG (117.09 KiB) Viewed 1895 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:51 pm

looks good, Peter. I do like the discolouration around the panels, very realistic.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:02 pm

Looking fine and dandy!

Sorry, someone had to... And it does look very good!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:16 am

Nice that Peter. Looks like the pony has had enough... :roll:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:47 pm

As discussed elsewhere on the Forum, I have no intention of joining the EV market. I do, however, acknowledge the use of electric traction in specific industries, for example, milk floats, waste collection vehicles and mine locomotives. My latest loco build falls into that category, simply because I thought it the best way to solve a dilemma.
The Slater's 'Simplex', shown in previous posts, is designed to be track powered with no space whatsoever for batteries. I initially thought about attaching a small waste wagon, but that proved to be too small to carry the ten AAA batteries (12v) plus the receiver, switch and charge socket with all the spaghetti involved too! It would always be connected whichever way the loco was working, so would look out of place.
My solution was to have another loco to double-head with it, thereby looking good whichever way it/they faced. What better to carry all those batteries than a battery powered loco?....

Meet... Sparky!
IMG_9138.JPG
IMG_9138.JPG (126.8 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
IMG_9139.JPG
IMG_9139.JPG (119.39 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
The battery loco is not self propelled, just the power supply to the Simplex, but makes much more sense as a working pair. With Dave Clavey's driver figures, which have poseable heads, they can each look where they are going to complete the picture.
IMG_9142.JPG
IMG_9142.JPG (136.23 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
IMG_9143.JPG
IMG_9143.JPG (141.45 KiB) Viewed 1655 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:16 am

What a novel and elegant solution Peter. Very well done.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:11 am

Brilliant again Peter. You do have a way with solving problems and still look fantastic at the end.

Are you keeping the colour or giving it a paint job only you can :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:36 am

A neat and very apt solution.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:37 pm

FWLR wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:11 am

Are you keeping the colour or giving it a paint job only you can :thumbright:
Not quite sure I understand the question Rod.... The loco model didn't just arrive that way; when I built it I painted it white, just as they are usually shown. I guess it was to enable them to be seen in underground locations where dark colours might not have been appropriate? My railway represents a preservation line, so, as an industrial loco, it is preserved as it would have been when in use. I hope that answers your question.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:21 am

I meant 'Sparky' Peter. But I do see your point on the colour. :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:56 am

I like that Peter!

I know this one's not powered, but wouldn't it look great hauling a rake of tubs round a "micro-layout" set in a coal mine?

I'm getting into this now, but you could build some of those metal bodied "man rider" carriages to go with it...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:04 pm

Andrew wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:56 am

I know this one's not powered, but wouldn't it look great hauling a rake of tubs round a "micro-layout" set in a coal mine?

Andrew.... what are you trying to do to me? The last thing I need is encouragement to build another layout!
But.... at our last model group meeting we discussed the possibility of constructing a small layout to take to shows, so the first seed has already been sown.
We are not a model railway group, and there are only a small number (about 3) of 16mm modellers, but enough to get something moving. Certainly a micro-layout would be practical as I could get it in my car..... aaaargh!!!! I'm falling for it already.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:22 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:04 pm
Andrew wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:56 am

Andrew.... what are you trying to do to me? The last thing I need is encouragement to build another layout!
But.... at our last model group meeting we discussed the possibility of constructing a small layout to take to shows, so the first seed has already been sown.
We are not a model railway group, and there are only a small number (about 3) of 16mm modellers, but enough to get something moving. Certainly a micro-layout would be practical as I could get it in my car..... aaaargh!!!! I'm falling for it already.
Oh no, sorry Peter!

I think my brain is hardwired to come up with layout designs as a result of practically learning to read on Railway Modeller... Personally, I'm thinking your little battery loco, plus a couple of others, would look great circling a kind of double-decker layout, with dimly lit tunnels below ground, and winding gear and general industrial detritus above.

Actually, I am considering a micro layout of my own, but in 009. My wife has a large Ikea "Kallax" set of shelves for her pottery stuff, which is split into 25 cubes. Ikea also sell an insert with a glass door - I'm thinking that, if she'll let me borrow a cube, I could build a tiny cube-shaped layout, with one of Bachmann's new Quarry Hunslets pulling a short rake of slate wagons through dramatic Welsh scenery, all neatly enclosed in a little glass-fronted box...

Enjoy the rest of your weekends all!

Andrew

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:51 pm

Brilliant modelling as usual Peter.
Very smart to think of a permanently coupled pair.
(I can just see them running around my new indoor layout)
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:00 pm

gregh wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:51 pm Brilliant modelling as usual Peter.
Very smart to think of a permanently coupled pair.
(I can just see them running around my new indoor layout)
Thanks Greg, a different approach to the normal, I think, and plenty of scope to make alternative small locomotives which can be paired with 'Sparky'.
A tiny two-pin plug is all that connects the two, so easily swapped over.

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:06 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:00 pm
Thanks Greg, a different approach to the normal, I think, and plenty of scope to make alternative small locomotives which can be paired with 'Sparky'.
A tiny two-pin plug is all that connects the two, so easily swapped over.
An even smarter idea. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm