Very true on all your points Chris, but a clarification on one that I made.
No, there is no Mamod bodywork either, I was more wondering why we have not seen it in in general in the hobby.
The hobby seems to be in two sections and no, nothing wrong with either aspect, just an observation:
a) The open the box and let it run group and any maintenance issues are handled by the mfgr or someone like Rhos Hyleg or the like.
b) The full workshop/machinists that build nice locos out of very few, if any, commercial bits.
The "middle", other than some cosmetic bits, does not have a lot of options now. And if there is no demand, then no economic reason for anyone to go down that route. Alan tried it for a while with some Mamod stuff, unfortunately, that was short lived.
And yes, the Mamodification aspect was to get things running back in the day, as it was reallly the only cheap option. So the Chaney, Sidestreet, Shirley, etc items were the way to go. Otherwise, in the early 1980s a RH loco such as Dylan when adjusted for inflation would be more than the RH "Millie" now, and the products are nearly technically identical excluding meths to gas firing.
I also suspect that the pricing advantage to the SL line back in the day was volume, one that Mamod may not be seing now. Case in point, the saddle tank loco in the video you posted is #14.
Me? I have often wonered about building a loco out of some basic components that are available with some sheetmetal work. For example, using DS/RWM/Mamod cylinders to make an outside frame loco chasis?
Or, if you want something a bit more involved, look at The Association's website for this month:
http://www.16mm.org.uk/newsite/motm/mom2012-11.html
More food for thought.
And Steamie/Eric, agreed, now we do have a solid runner by the looks of it. So it is left for us to "bling" them up. Thank you Mamod, now to decide on which one I wish to buy next.
A tip on darts, look at DJB, I used them on my two locos, and are BA6 thread, so maybe they will work in the Mk/William holes?
http://www.djbengineering.co.uk/fittings.html
(Wow, they updated their website!)
Using those was a tip from Peter "superbiker UK".
Happy steaming!