Tin Turtles

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Driver
Driver

Tin Turtles

Post by 90733 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:04 pm

I don't think I've posted about these probally on here yet?
Me & my dad have always liked the protected simplexs, yet we never got round to building one. However, when my dad asked around if anyone had made one, he got the answer there to difficult with the curves etc.. So of he went to build one, and so did I (once I stole the drawings of him ;) )
Heres the start of mine, the curves were quite easy in the end, the 309 'rivets' (oo gauge track pins) were not...
Here are both together, my dads on the left. I didn't bother with opening doors, going for the lift of roof option (as did my dad in the end). You can also see different construction techniques, as I have used wood sides, my dad plastic.
And a jump to the finish line! Mine is the grey one, dads green.
On there first train together at a friends Thornyhold Light Railway

I am very happy with the outcome, and is probally the best thing I have ever built. They aren't perfect, and we have spotted places where they are inaccurate, however, at elsecar when someone who had 5 of the things in 16mm, couldn't spot or point out the mistakes!
The green one has now left.
Thanks
Jack

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:35 pm

Very nice - I think that the effort with all the rivets was well worth it.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:57 am

Yes the rivets are a real feature of these locos.

A nice pair of locos indeed.
What has Reality done for you lately?

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Well Done! :D

I have always liked these Simplexes, back in my H0e/009 days for starters and then was excited to hear AnDel were working on one (a wonderful model, unfortunately with a very high price tag).

Anyhow, were there ever drawings or plans published on the internet or otherwise for the armored Simplex turtles?
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:12 pm

Spule 4:76352 wrote:Well Done! :D

I have always liked these Simplexes, back in my H0e/009 days for starters and then was excited to hear AnDel were working on one (a wonderful model, unfortunately with a very high price tag).

Anyhow, were there ever drawings or plans published on the internet or otherwise for the armored Simplex turtles?
Heres an online drawing :)
http://murquick-mine.co.uk/simplex/img/simplex.jpg
Funny you should mention the AnDel one, my dads left for there ;)
Thanks
Jack

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:24 pm

90733:76354 wrote:

Isn't it about 0130 there in the UK now? 8)

Anyhow, thanks for the drawing!!!
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:00 am

Spule 4:76357 wrote:

Isn't it about 0130 there in the UK now?   8)

Nope, literally about to go midnight ;) Its the holidays though ;) And I always end up doing most of my modelling at night :P
Thanks
Jack

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:30 am

90733:76361 wrote:
Spule 4:76357 wrote:

Isn't it about 0130 there in the UK now?   8)

Nope, literally about to go midnight ;) Its the holidays though ;) And I always end up doing most of my modelling at night :P
I do too, but in the US, all the suppliers are closed by then! :D
Garrett