C.R.L.R. project.

What is your latest project?
Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

C.R.L.R. project.

Post by Big Al » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Slow start to my new track owing to poor weather I have dug a trench the length of the garden waiting for the blocks to be laid just not keen to start until I get a few days of good weather. I hope this wont be to much longer I don't mind the cold but rain every couple of days is a pain in the butt. I have been making some kits and had a go at scratch building wagons and points, the points surprised me as they turned out quite good will post pictures of them when I have finished my 32mm double slip that is a bit of a challenge, It's years since I made any models and I am really enjoying it.                                             Image                         Image                                 Image                                                           Image                                                            Image                                                           Image                                                           Image
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:12 pm

Great looking selection of wagons.

Do you have some pictures of the work you have done in the garden?

Cheers,

Tom

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

C.R.L.R. project.

Post by Big Al » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Here are some pic's of my first attempt at points lade out on the dinning room table and the early stages of the double slip, as for the garden their is not much to see yet just a trench down the side of the garden waiting for sun and blocks to be installed I intend to use the blocks on edge in a double row about inch and half apart I have the heavy blocks so should keep me fit lifting them about. Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:41 am

Hi,

Lovely looking pointwork. Where did you find roller track gauges - my understanding was that they had become very hard to track down?

Best wishes,

Richard
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

point guages

Post by Big Al » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:26 pm

The roller gauges come from Marcway models phone 01142449170 . I phoned them mid day earlier this week with order for 2 more gauges,sm32 peco type rail and copper sleeper strips arrived 10.30 next day http://www.marcway.co.uk/trackm.htm  gauges are at the bottom of list. 1st. time I have put links to web and photos on line getting good at this computer lark hope link works. Quick edit forgot to say web site is out of date on price so check when ordering as their rebuilding site.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: point guages

Post by hussra » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:17 pm

Big Al:76249 wrote:The roller gauges come from Marcway models phone 01142449170 . I phoned them mid day earlier this week with order for 2 more gauges,sm32 peco type rail and copper sleeper strips arrived 10.30 next day http://www.marcway.co.uk/trackm.htm  gauges are at the bottom of list. 1st. time I have put links to web and photos on line getting good at this computer lark hope link works. Quick edit forgot to say web site is out of date on price so check when ordering as their rebuilding site.
Ah, thanks - had heard it said that they had none, but will give 'em a bell tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Richard
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: point guages

Post by hussra » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:33 pm

hussra:76272 wrote:Ah, thanks - had heard it said that they had none, but will give 'em a bell tomorrow.
Sure enough, some nice shiny roller track gauges arrived on Saturday morning. Thanks for the tip!

Richard
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Just a quick follow-up with a handy little tip I got from a 4mm scale track-building book. It can be jolly useful to file a flat on one end of one of your roller gauges, to help with getting the crossing nose in position; this lets it sit over the splice rail and/or wing rail. Easier to show than to describe:

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

double slip

Post by Big Al » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for the tip Richard I needed that to finish my double slip, It's not come out to bad but the plan I used was a fraction under size making it a bit tight to run over but I think I can ease it a bit with the old Dremel. I see from reading item's on the forum that I'm not the only one that's under the weather with our crap summer and endless rain I still have not laid any permanent track yet but will crack on at the first sign of a break in the weather.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Looks great - well done! I think a bravery award is called for.

Is that from Dave Watkins' plan? The key when printing these from PDFs is to make sure you have "Actual size" selected under "Size Options". (At least, on my printer they come out spot-on right size with that selected.)

Just completed another RH and another 'Y' point myself - 2 LH and 2 RH to go. I'm using Dave's 4' radius templates.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi Rchard, I think it was his plan I used, on my printer settings I use 100% this was ok with the points I made but I started the d/slip before I noticed the plan was a fraction under size, the rail gap is near as dam it 32m.m. but the center part is a bit tight to run over. I don't think it will be a problem with a bit of adjustment a four wheel coach ran over it quit well I have yet to try a loco. I will run a test soon and let you know.

robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by robc_wa » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:14 am

Al, this is very nice stuff. What is your source of copper covered strip, or are you cutting strips yourself? Also are you glueing them to wooden sleepers?

Cheers
Rob

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:41 am

Marcway models sell sm32 size copper strip on f/glass background 9mm by 1.6mm thick then Evo stick on to wood sleepers to make up to peco size. Don't treet the wood till you have made your points or glue may not stick. Phone them or e.mail for up to date price as web site out of date.       http://www.marcway.co.uk/trackm.htm e.mail= sales@marcway.fsbusiness.co.uk

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:16 pm

What's that up their ? It's the sun son was the reply, actually got in the garden today, cold but will make a start at last on laying some blocks for track to be laid on. Photo's to follow.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:11 pm

I got some track work done two days as the sun came out, however, since then we have had rain, cold winds and snow! :evil:

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Got up this morning and snow and bitter wind yet again put's track work on hold. I honestly thought we had a break in the weather at last but not for long. Image

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Fri May 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Can't believe that snow mentioned above was only 4 weeks ago, glorious weather the last couple of days in sunny Essex at it's best. After the Peterborough show I finally, with the help of my mate Mick Reeves who can be seen in the photo's we started to lay the blocks for the C.R.L.R track, Hard work and sun burnt as well, but foundations looking good so far.

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:58 pm

Shock horror , I have actually laid some track at last , Most of the blocks are cemented in place just a few in front of shed to set in place.

The CRLR Pway crew have been doing some work for a change
Image :lol:

The long straight down the garden.

The grand curve across in front of the conservatory.

The proposed removable bridge section.

run across the side of the shed on to the patio and then round a large return loop

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:06 pm

With the recent fine weather Me and my mate Mick laid another 36m. of Peco track , But still lot's more to be done yet.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:36 pm

Looking good Al!

This looks like my bike in the picture!