The NWAG empire expands.... The L&BBR

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

The NWAG empire expands.... The L&BBR

Post by laalratty » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Today was the first full NWAG steamup for a new North West Area Group line, the Lynmouth and Barnicle Bay Railway in the top right part of Cumbria (miniature railway enthusiasts might like the know the the manager of the L&BBR is the person that built and operated the 7 1/4 guage Sanday Light Railway in the Orkny Isles)
Operation of this line is best described as "interesting", since the owner didn't neccessarily pay attention to the new members guide, especially with regard to gradients which I think may be somewhere between 1 in 20 and 1 in 15 on the steepest bits! However, the line is very scenic and the track layout interesting to operate.
For the first time in its life so far, my Russell was given quite a challenge, and it did show up where the cylinder end cap screws needed re-tightening
The Linda from the IMR performed well on the grades with a slate train. The waggons went down the hill by gravity at least once!
Resident Leader "Pettril" with a short goods
PTLRcecil's Guenevere passing behind Summits Up halt
Pettril on the viaduct
Guenevere in extreme hill climb mode
Even Black Combe, the "King of the NWAG" powerhouse locobox garratt wasn't exactly tearing up the hill with 2 coaches and its imitation water carrier wagon
Black Combe on the curve towards the sheds
The traditional ANLR/PTLR double header with the NWNG style pair again. The double header is normally some mighty long train, however the grades and slippery condition reduced the train length to a pittiful 3 carriages :roll: Me and Si will try harder next time
Despite the at times torrential rain, I think everyone enjoyed themselves, thanks very much to the staff of the L&BBR and we look forward to visiting again when it is a bit drier...
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks for sharing - great looking line!

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:08 pm

Sounds like my sort of line with 1:20 :lol:

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Believe me Keith, it did get pointed out! There were a few other "interesting" sections of track (joints seemed to be a particular weak point), seems the GM of the L&BBR dosn't have quite the same idea as track quality as others :roll:
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."