IP Engineering Jack 0-6-0

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

IP Engineering Jack 0-6-0

Post by mhlr » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:12 pm

This is my latest build (that took a while due to a few faults on the way). After deciding I will have to use pop rivets to fix it tgether (IP didn't supply screws, the supplied bolts that didn't fit, it went together fairly fast. Then there was a problems with the speed controller, so now I've fitted a RCS R/C system. Its a good system, smooth acceleration, deceleration, and realistic stops. She also has a working headlamp.

It will be named 'River Helford', and I have ordered the name/works plates. I don't know what colour to line it in. Orange?

The thing im having trouble with though is the range for the R/C. Batteries are all new, and the arial is the recomended place, under the vent on the roof. It doesn't 'glitch', just you have to be quite near it for it to work. I assume its to do with the metal roof, any ideas?
Last edited by mhlr on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:14 pm

Very Nice pete,

I think that you wont go far wrong with red linning
Passengers are reminded not to tease the engines

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:35 pm

thats nice Pete
I want one :D

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:48 pm

LOL you should save up for one then graham! Shame you weren't able to get one from Stoneleigh, I picked it up for £100. It would be twice as powerful as your MSS's lol!

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:27 pm

my mss is quite powerful mate :D

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:16 am

ACLR wrote:my mss is quite powerful mate :D
Yes. But how about 12v power!!!

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:24 pm

I had the same trouble of having to be near my r/c Essel/friog battery diesel outline loco until I tried connecting the aerial to the body work. It now works fine with no glitching :!:
Ian of the SLR(N)

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:33 pm

Looks excellent Pete! Well done1

If your that fussed about the pop rivets, i replaced the screws on my Lucy (and when i do my Punch i will) with 6BA Hex-Head bolts and nuts. A vast imporovement in looks and enables me to take it apart a lot easier

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:34 pm

steamyjim wrote:Looks excellent Pete! Well done1

If your that fussed about the pop rivets, i replaced the screws on my Lucy (and when i do my Punch i will) with 6BA Hex-Head bolts and nuts. A vast imporovement in looks and enables me to take it apart a lot easier
I aint fussed at all Jim! I wanted to fit pops. Just IP didn't supply the screws, so I had to use pops instead. If I do have a need to take it apart, just drill on the head.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:32 pm

mhlr wrote:

I aint fussed at all Jim! I wanted to fit pops. Just IP didn't supply the screws, so I had to use pops instead. If I do have a need to take it apart, just drill on the head.
Yes...drill then repaint ;) Otherwise you have shiny pop rivets :lol:

But each to there own ;)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:00 pm

steamyjim wrote:
mhlr wrote:

Yes...drill then repaint ;) Otherwise you have shiny pop rivets :lol:

But each to there own ;)
Don't forget you have to BUY the Hex Heads, I didn't buy the pops - already 'ad em. And why will you need to take it all apart again? The bonnet is screwed on, so thats removeable, thats all you need isn't it?

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:58 pm

I fitted a plastic roof vent today to replace the metal one. It's increased the range a bit more now...

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:15 pm

My friend's Baguley fitted with RCS has a very good range (about two gardens worth), I'm sure brandbright would be pleased to help if you phoned them?

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:37 pm

My RCS Baguley has an ok range (same unit as yours pete) but I belive that the one used for Baguleys fitted with lights and sounds is 40 mhz and so has a better range
Your Jack looks great, id go for red lining (with a black border if you want something that looks even better)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:00 am

laalratty wrote:My RCS Baguley has an ok range (same unit as yours pete) but I belive that the one used for Baguleys fitted with lights and sounds is 40 mhz and so has a better range
Your Jack looks great, id go for red lining (with a black border if you want something that looks even better)
Hmm, I think mine is 40 mhz, but it's the basic 2 system (just motor control), but maybe it's the metal... I will try another set of batteries, but they were all new at the start...

Yeah, I am guna order some red Trimline then, and I already hav some black, so I will do red inner and black outer lining.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:35 pm

I put a new battery in the transmitter (the other one was new :? ) and got probably 20% extra range in it. I will try the batteries in the loco next, maybe find a 12v rechargable... anyway, heres a vid in action!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3PeMqSqb23U

The starting effects is just over the video, not a sound card :( lol

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:09 am

looks good Pete :D

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:03 pm

I lined it out yesterday in red, and added it's allocated number (8 ) on the buffer beams, and added a MHLR logo on the back:

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:51 pm

they look great Pete but the price on the RH site £608.00 ouch I think I would rather buy a Katie and a Billy

Chris
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Chris » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:11 pm

ACLR wrote:they look great Pete but the price on the RH site £608.00 ouch I think I would rather buy a Katie and a Billy
Are you looking in the wrong place? If it is an IP Jack it is £210.

Admittedly still not exactly cheap.

http://www.ipengineering.co.uk/page41.html

Looks great though. Got to be better than my lollipop which will only pull one carriage...