Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:39 pm

wonderful report and loco there .

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:57 pm

That loco does look good snaking around the curves. I'm surprised he didn't mention the lack of crew foot steps...
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Keith S:95478 wrote:What a nice looking engine. But how is it fired? The firebox with the air holes in the bottom make it almost look like it is externally fired, but this can't be the case surely?
It is gas fired, using a modded Roundhouse FG burner (the original Locobox burner was an even worse steamer and had the constant risk of it melting) whilst I've yet to find the reason for the holes. The real one doesn't have them, they look plain wrong and I hope in time to fill them in.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:11 am

Ah. Well, I can tell that Inspector Isle is more impressed with the locomotive than he is pretending to be. It's quite the machine.

edited for spelling
Last edited by Keith S on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:11 am

Yes, I agree, it's quite something, more characterful than an NGG16... And I like the livery too...

Looking forward to the final report from Victor - his recent jottings have inspired me to add my name to the list, expect I'll see him in about 2020...

Cheers,

Andrew.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:46 pm

I will say now that the full final report will be a bit longer in coming then the previous posts have been, basically the next couple of weeks are going to be rather busy for me as I will be getting the NWAG layout "Slack End" ready for the Kendal Model Railway Exhibition, the first proper model rail show the layout has attended. The week after is Track Week at the R&ER so I will probably be spending some time up there. However, if I do find myself with some spare time it might get put up earlier.
"What the hell is that?"

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:45 am

I think Slack end could do with an inspection...
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:59 pm

I agree with mr bond

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:95539 wrote:I think Slack end could do with an inspection...
I quite agree, I was thinking about it today. Mr Isle shall go to the Kendal Exhibition on the layout
"What the hell is that?"

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Oh for goodness sakes, I was really enjoying living out in the open for once but now I've been put back in that horribly uncomfortable box, and by the sounds of it I'm now in a bigger box, from what I've heard I'm off to some place called Kendal to take part in a "Model Railway Exhibition" on some Railway called "Slack End". How can the serious operation like a railway just be brazenly exhibited to the masses, they are serious operations, not some toy to be shown off!

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:53 pm

I've been removed from the hideous little box, and have been placed on a very small railway that appears to be raised on legs. The railway is circular and cannot be more then 12 or 13 yards long. Some of the track laying looks rather dodgy. The room is full of very small railways and some stands with these small locos in boxes. At least I'm indoors, but they've turned out all the lights and its rather dark. Looks like I'm spending the night in the station building. Thought I'd finished with this inferior accommodation....

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:24 pm

Today has certainly been busy, the shortness of the line I'm currently on (it doesn't appear to have a name although the halt does, "Slack End") meant that trains passed by every few seconds, some stopped and some didn't. I was also pointed out by some big people. There were occasional derailments, and a tunnel portal had to be modified right before my eyes in order for a large carriage to pass through. But one engine in steam working meant that there were no accidents.
The facilities at the halt were very basic, a simple structure with waiting room and ticket office, a goods siding and a bench... There was also a Police call box in the locality but I noticed it disappeared during the afternoon, emitting the most curious noise.
The halt had a good passenger and freight service
Some of the very small railways did not appear to be getting on so well
This crash was noted mid afternoon, and other incidents on this line included repeated SPAD's, rough shunting, derailment and multiple trains in section. Must remember to avoid travelling via Scorbiton in the future...

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:57 pm

very good lots of pictures and its funny too .well done this has made me smile and chuckle yet again very good

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:12 pm

The OO gauge derailment picture brings back memories from my last exhibition... :roll: Nice report though Victor!
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:14 pm

As a follow up to the appearance of the layout at the show, we've somehow managed to come home with the public vote award for the best layout in show! Admittedly, it's a shared award, having managed to tie with Liverpool Model Railway club's "Dolgellau", which won the Railway Modeller award for best layout in show at the Warley National Exhibition in 2011. So does this mean that our esteemed rail inspector is now an award winner?
"What the hell is that?"

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:41 am

His "winner of" section? ;) Well done on the exhibition win by the way. At my last exhibition, I got two votes... :roll:
Dan

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Hmmmm, yes Slack End was nice but I wouldn't in any way call it award winning. The halt had a siding with the usual haphazard form of control, and no sign of a facing point lock. I believe there was a further network of sidings round the back with similar controls.
Anyway, I am hoping to compile my final report on my visit to the Afonglas and Nant Llwyd Railway within the next week.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:40 pm

The first minute or so of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unska57_Bus shows Slack End (or Black End as the titles call it....)at the Kendal Show, with Victor Isle clearly visible watching proceedings from the platform
"What the hell is that?"

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:55 pm

I have now concluded the writing of my report of my findings from the Afonglas and Nant Llwyd Railway.

Sir,

I have the honour to report to the Minister for Miniature Transport upon my inspection of the Afonglas and Nant Llwyd Railway.

This narrow gauge line has been open and running between the port of Afonglas, and the small mining community of the Nant Llwyd Valley for the past 6 years. The line has mostly been used for the carriage of passengers and slate, and has seen a steady growth in the number of passengers carried during this time. I consider that the works and permanent way are soundly constructed, However I do have a number of recommendations to make to ensure the continued safe operation on this line.

Afonglas station is the operating hub of the line. There is a single platform, with run round loop, and a two road locomotive shed, with a single carriage sidings. Further sidings are provided off a separate branch line, which provides additional storage for carriages and waggons. There is no signal box, I understand one has been under construction for the past year but the general manager insists that other more pressing matters are the reason that this has not been installed. The points are all locally controlled by leavers, with no form of locking. It is recommended that the signal box is completed and the points connected up at the soonest opportunity, with appropriate interlocking. The condition of the track in the station limits is externally not good although it is appreciated that a speed limit applies within station limits.

The nearby Ty Gwydyr level crossing is of some concern, although it should be reported that since my initial inspection, work has been carried out to restore the crossing gates and bring them back into use. Further signage is required to complete this area, including "Whistle" signs. The track between here and Afallen is mostly unfenced, and there is evidence of ballast loss in some areas.

Afallen is the main intermediate station, with passing loop and two sidings. Passenger facilities are adequate, however there is no signalling of any sort, and it is insisted that the loop is not used to pass trains. A "one engine in steam" method of working is strongly recommended however if a phone or radio line could be bought into operation, then a "electronic block" system could be implemented, similar to what I observed at Ravenglass. The points at Afallen would require ether a weight or spring to hold them over for correct left hand running.

The rest of the main line up to Nant Llwyd is generally in very good condition, with fencing as required. Some additional signage is required in locations where there is limited clearance between the train and the rockface.

Nant Llwyd has a run round loop, two sidings and a connection into the Nant Llwyd slate quarry. The points are all locally controlled, as at Afonglas. A signalling system is recommended here, and the proximity of the tunnel exit to the station throat is of concern. It is recommended a that a illuminated point indicator is installed before the station and a 5 mph speed limit applied at the tunnel exit due to the limited sightlines caused by the tunnel.

The locomotives and passenger stock is basically all in good condition, however, it is insisted that locomotive not fitted with vacuum brakes are fitted at the earliest opportunity. These are Superior class "Owain", Millie class "Gwydion", and the garratt "Scafell".

Compared to some lines I have seen, this line is basically in good condition, and with all of the basic requirements of passenger facilities. However, before the line re-opens for the tourist season in 2014 I would like to see and appropriate system of train control initiated, either by a One Engine in Steam (or two or more engines coupled together) staff or a phone or radio based electronic block with dispatch by train order, with appropriate control of the pointwork at Afallen. In order for the speed limit to be safely maintained at 15mph, ballasting and fencing needs to be improved between Afonglas and Afallen. Signage should be provided for the Ty Gwydyr road crossing, and for areas of limited clearance, principally the Glanyrafon viaduct and the Nant Llwyd side of the tunnel.

Subject to the above requirements, I am of the opinion that this line is of a good enough standard for the continuation of passenger services.

I remain, Sir, your obedient servant,

Victor Isle (Mr)
HM Inspector

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:32 pm

Great report :thumbright:
Dan