Charnwood Forest Garden Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Red Rock
Cleaner
Cleaner

Charnwood Forest Garden Railway

Post by Red Rock » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:48 pm

Firstly, Hello! I'd just like to introduce myself being new to the forum. I'm Scott and I am part of a group of people running the Charnwood Forest Garden Railway (45mm). We are located at the north end of Rothley station car part on the Great Central Railway and run every weekend for the public to come and visit.

The Charnwood Forest Railway started in 2000 for a 'Day out with Thomas event'. At this time it was a small oval of track and there were no plans to make it a permanent feature. The CFR was such a hit, it stayed down for another few months and was extended a bit more. Eventually, later in 2000 the track formed the 'L' shape which is still the main shape today!

The railway is set as a European narrow gauge railway although we run a large mixture of stock including standard and narrow gauge DB, vintage steam, Austrian narrow gauge, American outline and not forgetting Thomas & Friends and Ivor the engine!! Over the last 3 years we have been running an increasing amount of Live Steam and going more British.

Do take a look at our website for more information!
http://charnwoodforestrailway.webs.com/

Still working out how to add photos but as soon as I do I will post some!

Red Rock
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Red Rock » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:27 pm

How about some videos?

Live Steam
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U6EfFdpcuxo?ve ... ge"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U6EfFdpcuxo?ve ... detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

DB Diesels
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YuloHj-8ric?ve ... ge"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YuloHj-8ric?ve ... detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
Last edited by Red Rock on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Days!

Scott - Charnwood Forest Garden Railway - Rothley Station

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:30 pm

Welcome o the forum, The website is very informative.

Red Rock
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Red Rock » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:50 pm

Sir Clothem Cap:65976 wrote:Welcome o the forum, The website is very informative.
Thanks, We started to website about this time 2 years ago and we are always changing and updating it. Lots of information about the place and very popular now linked with the GCR's website.
Happy Days!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Is running restricted, or are you Open to Visitors? If you were to have stock with 3-link couplings, i might be tempted to re-gauge something......................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Red Rock
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Red Rock » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:52 pm

MDLR:65982 wrote:Is running restricted, or are you Open to Visitors? If you were to have stock with 3-link couplings, i might be tempted to re-gauge something......................
We always like to have visiting locos and there owners at the CFR, you will have to come and have a run. We have lots of 3 link rolling stock that you can use so you won't have a problem there! We normally run steam on Sundays so feel free to join us sometime. Just lets us know so we can expect you, our email is on our website or on my profile. Thanks, Scott.

EDIT: I'm sure I've seen your railway on Mark Found's Youtube channel! Very Good!
Happy Days!

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Welcome and thanks for the invite! :D
We'll have to see about a mini "Forum Gathering" in the style that's become a feature of Butterley at the Midland Railway Centre ;)

Red Rock
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Red Rock » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Narrow Minded:65989 wrote:Welcome and thanks for the invite! :D  
We'll have to see about a mini "Forum Gathering" in the style that's become a feature of Butterley at the Midland Railway Centre ;)
Forum gathering, sounds like a great Idea. I've been to Butterley and is a very nice little set up. The CFR is all 45mm however but with two main lines, a rack railway and a mining branch we could certainly see a fair few locos in steam.

We always used to open for a weekend in April and invite everyone from the G scale Mad forum down but we haven't done this since the re branding of it. Definitely something to look into and we'd be happy to 'host'.
Happy Days!

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi Scott!

Good to hear you are still involved with the CFR- it's a cracking set- up.

Had some good times there with the G Scale Mad mob (generally very hung over...). Shame it's all come to a bit of an end there.
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

Red Rock
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Red Rock » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Endless, Nameless:65994 wrote:Hi Scott!

Good to hear you are still involved with the CFR- it's a cracking set- up.

Had some good times there with the G Scale Mad mob (generally very hung over...). Shame it's all come to a bit of an end there.
Thanks Matt. Will have to see if we can change that this year then!
Happy Days!

Red Rock
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Red Rock » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:13 pm

The CFR Autumn 2011 Steam Gala line up.

Power over kill!

Lots of Stock to run.

Accucraft Lyn

Silver Lady mixed goods.

Sandy River

Rare shot of our regner willi working!
Happy Days!

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:02 am

Great pics of a lovely little railway, shame its almost a 3 hour drive from me, I would love to come and have a run on it! All the popular ones are miles away :lol:

Steven

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Most Impressive. :D