Mamod pistons

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Mamod pistons

Post by fred » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:24 pm

Hello, I was given a Mamod railway set, and the loco wouldn't run right seemed to be sticking, tried on air line and it worked with one piston off the off piston rod did seem to be catching on cylinder exit, cleaned and used wet and dry on shaft (is this O.K.) tried it on blocks and it seemed to run, tonight after taking advice I cleaned out boiler on new MSS, and cleaned out boiler on old Mamod, turned the wheels by hand and the mamod still seemed to catch - I have now put a newpair of power-pistons on Mamod from, but it still feels as if something is catching can'y see anything, when I turned loco over and removed safety valve it rolled across table freely, is it me :oops: or am I doing something wrong cannot fire up tonight, can any one tell me what to do will it be safe to fire up
Thanks
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!
'WILL IT GO ROUND THAT CURVE?'

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:41 pm

Can't help you here mate. Sorry.

Best asking ptlrcecil. He and his dad own several mamods which have been modified a lot, so they should know what's wrong.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:10 pm

it sounds like a timing isue Fred but not sure with out seeing it but thats imposible from my location :?

new power pistons will need a bit of running in so that could be the problem as well. it shouldnt hurt fireing it up but I would run it in on blocks first before running it on track. when i first installed the upgraded pistons it took some time running it on blocks before it ran smothly on the track. and the pistons also felt as though they were sticking the first few times
hope this helps
cheers Graham

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fred » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:39 pm

Dear Graham, thanks a lot I'll try that tomorrow and let you know,
appreciate help
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:25 am

It is not a timing issue, as you stated in your Introduction posting that you had checked the wheel crankpins are set at 90 degrees. You also said that you got your pistons from Chasteam, so I assume that they are the ones he is selling as Cylinder & Piston Assembly upgraded (2) - £18.50 These are the MSS standard cylinders, and I believe the only change from the old Mamod ones is that they have a better entry/exit on the rear cylinder face (the raised flange) and possibly different pistons.

The sticking you are referring to sounds like they are just too new and not run in yet. I would not have sanded the piston rods, as this is one area that the old Mamod ones suffered from leaking, when too much play caused wear on the rear cylinder face and the subsequent steam leak. I'm sure this is the reason for the design change by MSS, as their cylinders work well on my MSS Saddle Tank loco.

Try filling these cylinders with some light oil (3 in 1 type) to start with, just put some on one of the steam inlet holes and use the piston to suck it in. After doing this for a few runs progress to using proper steam oil. This is what I had to do to get some 'O' ring upgraded pistons to work properly.

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fred » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:29 pm

Dear CCairns, thanks for info, it was sticking on old piston , new one turn by hand quite freely when safety valve out, but the bad side with safety valve IN still seems to catch will try what you suggest and let you know
Again many thanks
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:02 pm

Could be a few other causes then Fred.

I'd have a good look at the wheels and coupling rods, and indeed removing the coupling rods and just running with the front wheels powered may help to identify if it is the wheels that are causing the problem. Just be very careful removing the e-clips as they are easily lost & not easy to find replacements for (well at least cheaply).

Early days yet on the Forum, but if you could post a video of your problems that would be very helpful for fault finding.

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fred » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:03 pm

Dear Chris,
put the Mamod on blocks, and after going through Esbit tabs at a rate of knots - she, at last, is running, slightly faster forward than reverse, but she RUNS :lol: needs an awful lot of tabs as you can, in essence only put 1 and a bit tabs, it is now pouring down so can't try on rails or try new MSS, I have used so much oil of every kind from steam oil, motor oil and of course your suggestion of 3 in 1, will let you know how she does on rails and if MSS works O.K.
I can see why people buy the Meths Burners - I'll try get one because as soon as pellet has burnt their is no power
Hoping to go to Cheshire Show tomorrow, bit worried wheelchair, it is a powered one so very heavy, will go round the field after all this rain
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP it is much appreciated as well as others who have helped
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!