the Test

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

the Test

Post by ACLR » Fri May 16, 2008 9:32 am

after the rebuild and a couple of runs I would see how marvin would run.
here is a vid I took this after noon
I need more trucks :lol:

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 16, 2008 9:45 am

Great video Graham.

So 8 wagons is the number to beat so far.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Fri May 16, 2008 10:12 am

I dont have any more to test with mate :? :roll:

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Fri May 16, 2008 11:24 am

great graham. runs and sounds beautiful.

i wish my mss was still working, it used to run better than edrig

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 16, 2008 12:06 pm

i wish my mss was still working
What is the latest situation with your MSS, as I think your last posting was it was sick after gluing up the wheels - http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about311.html

Since my last posting in that topic, the wheels that had been glued up with cyanoacrylate had come loose again.

Now I remove the wheels from the axle, clean up the axle with sandpaper, put the wheels back on using torque seal/thread lock, and so far both sets thus treated are still OK after several steamings.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Fri May 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Andy i think these engines are under rated they just need some enhancements and they run great pitty mamod didnt build them this way in the begining, if they had they would have been better sellers than they are.
i think thats why upgrade builder do a roaring trade ;)
this engine still runs using meths in a burner I made so am very happy with it.
and Chris I think i need to put a bleeder valve on the sight glass to make it a bit more accurate as it does as you said in another post gets an airlock which when i run it the other night it ran out of water :cry: but thanks to the silver soldered boiler it was saved from disaster and as you can see it still runs great :D

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri May 16, 2008 2:04 pm

Superb video, it sounds like a proper engine!!

With regards to the 8 trucks Chris, 21 is the current record held by PTLRcecil, PTLRsam has done work to those wagons to get them to run smoother though.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 16, 2008 2:40 pm

SillyBilly - Yes I've watched his YouTube video. From what I can see it has 'O' ring pistons, the old style IP Eng wheels (as fitted to my IP Jane), uprated safety valve and a lubricator. However not sure what it is fired with. Interesting that his comment states 'Even a Jane would struggle to pull this lot.', as all those upgrades are incorporated in a Jane.

I wonder if he has just cleaned up the axle ends, as these can be poorly cast, or if he has fitted different bearings as well? And the Mamod couplings are actually a little short, particularly the old style round key ring ones, which cause buffer to buffer interference going around curves.

Unfortunately I do not have 21 open wagons, so we would need to get the weights of all 7 items of rolling stock to compare pulling weights.

But of course it is not even on Mamod track!

ACLR
it ran out of water
That's exactly what happenned on my IP Jane running the gas burner on butane/propane mix. I could hear it as a crackly noise above the gas burner, which was probably the last of the water being boiled dry! I've got some butane only gas to see if that makes any difference to the amount of steam/water used.

It happens on my Cheddar Models boilers as well (edit - I mean the air buuble in the sight glass tube), but so far the butane/propane gas runs out before the water.

Apart from fitting some sort of bleed, I believe the problem comes from not using a large enough diameter sight glass tube.
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Fri May 16, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri May 16, 2008 2:52 pm

I think Cecil's engine is meths fired. I remember him metioning somthing about machining somthing on the wheels. I shall have to dimantle my mamod wagons in an attempt to get them to run that well.

Good point about the mamod track because just putting these engines on proper track does seriously improve their running capabilities.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Fri May 16, 2008 3:40 pm

CCairns wrote:
i wish my mss was still working
What is the latest situation with your MSS, as I think your last posting was it was sick after gluing up the wheels - http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about311.html

Since my last posting in that topic, the wheels that had been glued up with cyanoacrylate had come loose again.

Now I remove the wheels from the axle, clean up the axle with sandpaper, put the wheels back on using torque seal/thread lock, and so far both sets thus treated are still OK after several steamings.
the wheel and or axle is bent, steam leaks out the front, it wont pull its self, but runs on blocks, leaks out sight glass

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri May 16, 2008 4:27 pm

Fantastic, Marvin looked and sounded great in that video, just need to get some more trucks and coaches!
PTLRcecils engine is meths fired, but I think he's having a few problems with it
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 16, 2008 4:38 pm

andysleigh To prevent this going off topic, I've just sent you a rather long PM explaining solutions to your problems.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Fri May 16, 2008 4:38 pm

CCairns wrote:andysleigh To prevent this going off topic, I've just sent you a rather long PM explaining solutions to your problems.
ok, thanks

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Fri May 16, 2008 6:49 pm

Cecils mamod is meths fired as others have suggested. The open wagons are all fitted with thrust washers to make them run better. I believe the parts have arrived to get her back in steam, but its a matter of him finding time! This weekend is out as he's off playing Thomas up at the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway!
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri May 16, 2008 7:35 pm

Brilliant video Graham!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri May 16, 2008 7:35 pm

I have pulled 9 LGB wagons filled with loads (water, slate and stone) with my MSS :D

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Fri May 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Eight wagons? Nine wagons? Small fry! Russell's record is seventy axles at the Woodrow Light Railway - can't remember how many wagons that was as it was a mix of bogie and four-wheel stock, but it must have been at least thirty. And she got them over Amersham bank unassisted, albeit with a little slipping! :lol: And before you ask - yes, I know Russell isn't a Mamod, but who cares! :P

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sat May 17, 2008 9:36 am

very windy afternoon had trouble keeping the steam up then a storm hit and flooded the ACLR but got this video anyways

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat May 17, 2008 11:50 am

Not liking those curves is it?! Great video mate anyway!

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sat May 17, 2008 12:50 pm

windy day mate couldnt get a good steam up :roll: