Page 1 of 1

March Merstham event

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:33 pm
by bessytractor
this Saturday I went to the Merstham steam up. I took Alderney the vertical boiler loco with me and gave that a run, much to my surprise it ran and steamed beautifully, putting up a good turn of speed with a heavy load. Second steaming the blower blocked up a bit and we struggled, but it still managed to get round the layout though it was very shy of steam, much to my irratation. While I was there I bought some bits from the various stands, and a big bag of Welsh steam coal that was going for £1 :lol:

Was nice just to natter with people too. Thanks go to Andy and Simon (MTA) for the welcome cup of tea while I was shovelling coal and running around like a blue arsed fly!

Here is a set of rather s****t pictures :lol:

Alderney when I was setting up

Image

Roundhouse Russell

Image

Alderney and a Bertie that was doing very well

Image

Finescale Engineering Hunslet

Image

the new Accucraft NG15 2-8-2

Image


Image

coal fired Beyer Garratt

Image

DJB Robert

Image

Andy has a go

Image

got a good fire going

Image

ready to go

Image

not one but two NG15's, with a third just behind me!

Image

Finally, Andy Sleigh, a portrait! :lol:

Image

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:26 pm
by bessytractor
they are fairly massive. They are also somewhat intolerant of greasy track.

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:44 pm
by andysleigh
Keith&Joanna:49650 wrote:I'm glad i cancelled my order for an NG15, the tender is too long and looks boring.
admitedly the slab tender is a bit bland, but i still like it.

couldnt a hammer make it look a bit more interesting ;)

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:12 pm
by taliesin001
Glad I'm not alone in thinking that that gap is way too big, obviously due to the smaller than prototypical radius curves but i think it ruins the appearence

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:35 pm
by andysleigh
the tender on the real ones had to be big to hold LOTS of water to be able to runa cross the africa deserts! (i hope i spelt that right)
check out the SAR condensing tenders, they are mahoooosive.

The accucraft ng15's come with two holes on the coupling for the tender to loco. so you can have it close or not so. for different rads.


anywho
my video of  the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7w_EqTmI6c

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:44 pm
by taliesin001
just been looking at old pics of these locos. The driver is usually sitting outside the cab on the swinging seat, now that would make for an interesting model! wouldn't clear many lineside objects though I wouldn't have thought :D