Garden Rail magazine.

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Maesffordd-paul
Cleaner
Cleaner

Garden Rail magazine.

Post by Maesffordd-paul » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:52 am

Has anyone got the latest issue of Garden Rail? if not, why not???

There is a six page feature on a certain Welsh railway in the depths of east anglia.
In fact it's going to be quite a month for the Maesffordd Railway. We've got into the 16mm association DVD, albeit just in the still pictures on the end credits, One of our pictures is being used for the publicity posters for this years Llanfair show, and next sunday sees us getting another visit from Mr Found to film another episode of Narrow Gauge in the Garden. PHEWWWWW! I haven't had time to stop and catch my breath so far, what with our trip to Llanberis last week (Hi William, nice to finally meet you, glad you got yourself a forklift, you were having too much fun with the EAG's one! what about getting one of the big drag-line cranes next?)

anyway, nice to be back.
later dudes.
was the guard with us when we left?

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:01 am

Certainly have got Garden Rail and the said certain article has got me thinking about how I can 'charecterise' my railway!

Hmmm, drag-line crane, depends on the price :lol: . Nice to meet you also Paul. Hope the weather is good for the filming. I forgot to ask you at the exhibition, whether or not you had the Rover with you?

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:22 am

I got garden rail, but I was forced to by the writer of the Autum tints article, but I did like the Maesfford article very much, a very nice railway you've got there Paul :)

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:39 am

I suspect I will have to start getting Garden Rail again!

Although annoyingly they do not accept my debit card so I cannot subscribe, grrrr....

Maesffordd-paul
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Maesffordd-paul » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:41 am

SillyBilly wrote:Certainly have got Garden Rail and the said certain article has got me thinking about how I can 'charecterise' my railway!

Hmmm, drag-line crane, depends on the price :lol: . Nice to meet you also Paul. Hope the weather is good for the filming. I forgot to ask you at the exhibition, whether or not you had the Rover with you?
I think the crane is probably about fifty quid.

The weather was fantastic, Paul Perryman managed to blag me a cab ride on the lake railway aboard Elidir, so there'll be some video of that coming up soon.

Sadly I couldn't bring the Rover as it's on winter lay-up, waiting for warm spring wether to return. Shame as I would dearly love to hear that V8 engine echoing through the valleys, making easy work of the hills. Bit expensive on fuel though, at 20MPG MAX, it would cost me about £150 there and back. She'll do the journey one day, when I'm rich! LOL

Paul.

Maesffordd-paul
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Maesffordd-paul » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:48 am

MTA wrote:I suspect I will have to start getting Garden Rail again!

Although annoyingly they do not accept my debit card so I cannot subscribe, grrrr....
Talk to your local Newsagent. If you give him the details of the magazine and the publisher he should be able to get you a copy every month. That's what I did, spoke to the bloke that runs our village shop, he gets a copy in for me every month.

Paul.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:12 pm

I saw you on the footplate. Sadly I don't have £50 at the moment to spend on a crane, I'm hoping to get some buildings soon, perhaps I'll find one for christmas.

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:38 pm

The mag arrived yesterday. A very nice article Paul, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It has caused me to think deeply about how to try to achieve some of the atmosphere your line obviously has, and mine obviously lacks.
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:52 pm

I get Garden Rail on and off :cry:

What crane is this???

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:44 pm

I got the mag (subscriber :D ) and very good! The maesffordd bit it brilliant! Great piccies!

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:29 pm

Ive only just got jan edition we are a month behind here :(

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:39 pm

I get too many other railway magazines on subscription, to warrant getting Garden Rail as well.

Unfortunately it does not seem to be stocked by any of my local newsagents so that I could buy an interesting issue as necessary.

And I left it too late to get the back issues that covered the Cheddar Iver & Cheddar/GRS Tram reviews.

I also get confused on ebay when sellers list it as a Calendar month and not a number - the indexes available on the Garden Rail website only mention Issue numbers and not months. Are these Calendar month issues well before Atlantic Publishers took on Garden Rail?

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:42 pm

The one I just got Chris is issue 161 january 2008
I got issue 160 in january dated december 2007
hope this helps

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:51 pm

Sorry I should have explained myself better.

These issues I've seen which just had a calendar month on the cover are early issues, and I wonder if Garden Rail existed as another magazine prior to Issue No.1 July/August 1993 of the current Atlantic Publishers' Garden Rail Magazine.

I've just been keeping my eye out for issues that had Mamod modifications, plus the Cheddar reviews as listed above.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:51 pm

CCairns wrote:Sorry I should have explained myself better.

These issues I've seen which just had a calendar month on the cover are early issues, and I wonder if Garden Rail existed as another magazine prior to Issue No.1 July/August 1993 of the current Atlantic Publishers' Garden Rail Magazine.

I've just been keeping my eye out for issues that had Mamod modifications, plus the Cheddar reviews as listed above.
I beleive it was called Garden Railay World, wich originated from Tom Coopers steamlines

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:02 pm

No these magazines I saw recently on ebay were called 'Garden Rail' only, but appeared to have a calendar month on the front with no issue number.

I could be mistaken about the Issue numbers as the photos were not that great.

MTA

Post by MTA » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:47 pm

I have just been out and bought the current issue of Garden Rail. I haven't read the article on Maesfordd yet, but from the pictures it looks like a stunning railway. I expect the article to be just the same 8)