The High Weald Light Railway (HWLR), ex B&MLR

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:07 pm

Those slate wagons look really neat, you have made a good job of them. Are they the coopercraft ones? I have 6 binnie types but really fancy adding more like those ones to the rake.

By the way I do like those railbus things as well, how well do they go? Is it the 3 axle bogie or the 2 axle bogie that is powered? I have plans in time for one of those I think.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Those slate wagons look really neat, you have made a good job of them. Are they the coopercraft ones? I have 6 binnie types but really fancy adding more like those ones to the rake.

By the way I do like those railbus things as well, how well do they go? Is it the 3 axle bogie or the 2 axle bogie that is powered? I have plans in time for one of those I think.
Shane, Thanks for the comments, they are indeed the Coopercraft ones and look great mixed in with the Binnie ones, Im planning to get a few more of each and then I will have a decent rake.

Both of those railbuses are non movers at the moment due to the previous owner starting to put in RC but never finishing it. So it only needs a little bit of work on the electronics before its ready to go. However the light blue one we had running at the Longmead Branchline Club Day performed very well although that ones previous owner had turned the 3 axled power bogie into a 2 axled one, but that still managed to pull itself and the other unpowered railbus around the line quite happily. And its the 3 axled bogie thats powered, I can take some photos of it if you like?
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Mon May 16, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi All,

Nothing much to report here due to heaps of A Level revision and practice exam questions to do for the exam in June :( :o

The only real thing that has been going on at the H.W.L.R. is the painting of 2 sets of nameplates, now this can only mean one thing ...... 2 locos will be joining the line to boost our fleet. 1 brand new Loco and a second-hand one from ex CVLR and P&DLR which will both be settling in here soon. :D

The names of the locos aren't secret as they can be seen earlier on in the thread!! :D The new loco will be called 'AMITY' Ive always liked the name just like 'SKYE', Im not sure of what it means but it was the name of one of the boats on the BBC series 'Trawlermen' and the other Loco will be called 'ENDEAVOUR' I suppose thats named after the space shuttle :D

'Operation Cutback' is still underway with the hedge cutter now undergoing some detailing work and some cosmetics

So thats all an update will follow soon ....... :lol:
Cheers Tom

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Tue May 17, 2011 12:50 am

Which ex CVLR loco are you getting Tom? Obviously a mamod but which one.....I bought too many mamods last year... :D
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Tue May 17, 2011 5:21 pm

Which ex CVLR loco are you getting Tom? Obviously a mamod but which one.....I bought too many mamods last year...  :D
I wouldnt have a clue which one it is Shane :D but I can tell you its Green but I dunno if that helps or not?  :(  :lol:  :roll:
Cheers Tom

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Tue May 17, 2011 11:33 pm

Mamod green or GWR green? ;) :roll: :D

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:16 am

mamod green
Thanks
Jack

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun May 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi All,

I went to the Merstham Show yesterday, which was the first 16mm show I'd ever been too and had I a great time  :D Was a lovely sunny day and was enjoyable being in a hive of activity and seeing what everyone had on offer, and I of course spent a bit too much, but who cares  :lol:

So the first item on my "Hit-List" was of course a Ffion kit, but sadly Andy didnt have any with him or the one he had had just gone  :( So I await its arrival  :D

I also took a few trips to the 2 Second Hand Stalls on which I managed to pick up a pair of W&LLR Cattle Wagons for £15 each and they only need a lick of paint on the roof and some minor repairs underneath. I also picked up one of the Slaters Slate Wagons.

I got a few parts and supllies ready for the arrival of the lines third loco that had been brought last week. I got a few other little bits here and there but i'd spent out early on so i could only look from 11 o'clock around to 4  :(   :D .

The day finished with a quick and enjoyable ride on the Merstham Valley Railway around the edge of the school field and back.

It was nice meeting Kes and the Trenarren Models Guys (Steve and Nick) and a few other peopleduring the day, putting names to faces and learning lots  :D  We then went back to the Longmead Branch for an evening steam up and a fish and chip supper.

There are some pictures to follow, but I have lost my Memory Card somewhere in this mess I call my room  :D   :(

EDIT @ 18:30hrs

I found the memory card in the bin next to my desk, must have been knocked off :D

Heres a couple of pics that I promised:

The Completed Nameplates:

The Slaters Dinorwig Slate Wagon

The Cattle Vans:

Enjoy :D
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi All,

Not alot to report, but a few things have been going on :D

I brought another Coopercraft LNWR Coal Wagon last week from a member of another forum for £5-6. It arrived this morning
and was constructed today, and painting has commenced. The 2 other Coal wagons I have, have started going through the re-livering process from light-blue into a dark grey with black ironwork. (Photos to follow once more progress has been made)

The slate wagon that I ordered ages ago, arrived last saturday and is near completion, ready to join the slate train.

The Mamod 'ENDEAVOUR' arrived and work is underway, just waiting on a few more items and a fixings pack and he'll be ready to go hopefully :D

I also have a WHR Brake Van on order from Jurassic Models which should also be arriving soon. :lol:

Still no sign of my Blue Ffion yet though ..................... :cry: :cry:
Cheers Tom

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Sounds good. I have an LNWR coal wagon awaiting building along with a couple more coopercraft wagons but the wheels seem to require alot of cleaning up especially in between spokes, alot more than usual, and after doing quite a few slate wagons it's got a bit boring!, so have been put to side until I have finished my heap of unfinished projects. I also hope to purchase one of those brake vans too, but I have promised myself that i will not buy anything else until my corris coach is finished.

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:53 pm

but the wheels seem to require alot of cleaning up especially in between spokes, alot more than usual, and after doing quite a few slate wagons it's got a bit boring!,
Corr tell me about it, each one takes 5-10mins aswell!! However the newest LNWR wagon - that arrived today (which was in the old green packaging and old style instructions and priced at £3.95!!! - oh how times have cahnged during my short life :D ) had wheels that required no cleaning up at all and everything was moulded neater and had no flash on it anywhere! and the axleboxes were in black plastic too :D Ive still got about 3 pairs of wheels to tidy up before they are ready to be fitted to the wagons.
but I have promised myself that I will not buy anything else
Haha, and how many times have I said that too myself over the last few months .... :? :lol: But I suppose its better spending it on something worth while that will keep you amused than going out every weekend and spending it on booze :? :D
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi All,

After a lovely morning out in the sun I have managed to finsh off one of the LNWR Wagons, with the other 2 not far behind :D I have painted the end of the brake handles white and applied a hand painted number to each and I am very happy with the outcome :D

So here are some pictures as promised:

They went from this:

To this:

2 of the 3 wagons together - No's. 4 + ..... still needing its ironwork painted black.

Thats all for now, maybe some more pictures later ...... :D - (now to spend the afternoon in the sun completing the others :lol: )
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:07 pm

More progress has been made ...... :D

I have managed to finsh off the second LNWR Coal Wagon this afternoon. (just needs a bit of tidying up here and there) :D

Also I managed to fit the floor and the axleboxes to the slate wagon, the axleboxes just need painting, couplings added and the wheels adding too and it will be ready to go :D

Thats all for now :D
Cheers Tom

TheChestnutLine
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by TheChestnutLine » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:35 pm

Really nice! and neat! Whats the paint/colour you use for the slate wagon planked floor? looks really realistic :D
James

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:42 pm

Really nice! and neat!
Thanks!!  :D
Whats the paint/colour you use for the slate wagon planked floor? looks really realistic
Its 2 coats of Humbrol 93 (Desert Yellow - I think thats what its called), it looks bright at first but does loose its lightness over time  :D . What I have done on some of my other ones is: 2 coats of Humbrol 29 and then dab on a coat of 93 lightly which gave me a good effect too  :D

What I also did differently this time was to make the main structure up with the floor of the slate wagon glued in with 3 small blobs on each side of each piece, once the main structure was set you can carefully tap the floor out once the wagon is turned over. You can then paint the 2 floor pieces, then glue them back in and it looks really neat. Thats how I got such a good effect on the one above :D
Cheers Tom

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:06 pm

looks really nice! :D

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:08 pm

Thanks Lewis :D
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi All,

Picture the scene :D

Its a wet drizzly Sunday afternoon, I'd just sat down to get on with painting the axleboxes to finish off the slate wagon when all of a sudden an 18 wheeler HGV locks up his brakes outside after having to avoid a car that was overtaking 3 parked cars down the road, From what we could hear a big argument followed with many words too rude to be written here being passed between the 2 drivers :lol: They quickly came to a conclusion that it was the car drivers fault for not giving way to the lorry which did have the right of way :D

You are now obviously thinking what does this have to do with my Slate Wagon?

Well, we all jumped up in such a rush to see what had happened and waiting for a smashing sound - (all to familiar on our stretch of road with the fence and wall on the corner being hit numerous times in the past few years) and the dog jumped on the coffee table to look out the window whilst she was barking away and managed to do this :? :lol:

This didnt take long to sort out though and after 5/10mins the result was: - (nothing a bit of sandpaper and paint cant sort out) :D

Cheers Tom

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:13 pm

the repair looks great, you wouldn't even know it had happened. This reminds me of damage that I caused to mine. I had them all coupled up in a line of my shelf. i accidentally knocked the one off the end and of course the rest followed, all falling into the bin so luckily not a hard landing but a bit of glue and paint and they were fine again!

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:58 pm

A very neat repair job though.