another vid of the aclr

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

another vid of the aclr

Post by ACLR » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:12 pm

hope im not boring you lot with my vids
heres a new one enjoy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=eTK_bIAh9qY

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:09 pm

Another great video Graham, and you've added quite a bit to your railway with lots of sidings appearing everywhere.

Must be a little frustrating not getting a nice steady run, was that with your new burner?

And I spotted the derailments as well. The log wagons are very light (trying hiding some weight under the logs) so it is not suprising, but what was the 2nd derailment that was edited out of the video - the Guards van?

I've been advised not to use Mamod track by fellow members of the 16mm NGM but as I've already bought more than enough for my planned Garden railway, I am reluctant to start again with the expense of buying Peco track.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:52 pm

Great stuf Graham!
CCairns wrote:I've been advised not to use Mamod track by fellow members of the 16mm NGM but as I've already bought more than enough for my planned Garden railway, I am reluctant to start again with the expense of buying Peco track.
The problem with mamod track is the joints, becuase they are so easy to get uneaven as the rails aren't joined, which results in a large amount of de-railments, I'm going to relay my line later this year in either Tenmille or Peco. Wouldn't worry about the cost, it's only mamod points that are cheaper really!

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:53 am

CCairns wrote:Another great video Graham, and you've added quite a bit to your railway with lots of sidings appearing everywhere.

Must be a little frustrating not getting a nice steady run, was that with your new burner?

And I spotted the derailments as well. The log wagons are very light (trying hiding some weight under the logs) so it is not suprising, but what was the 2nd derailment that was edited out of the video - the Guards van?

I've been advised not to use Mamod track by fellow members of the 16mm NGM but as I've already bought more than enough for my planned Garden railway, I am reluctant to start again with the expense of buying Peco track.
Yes the second derailment was the gardsvan :( they need more weight in them realy they are a bit overbalanced because of their hight I think.
I have bought 12 mtrs of peco track and need to buy more so I can eventualy replace all the mamod track. the branch line at the far back of the garden just after the bridge is goining to run around the mountain and im thinking of building a viaduct for it to cross over the line just before the tunnel then rejoin near the flat area top right hand side of garden so there is going to be a bit of gradient im afraid but will see how it runs.
but this could take me the rest of the year to complete. jilly is watching the pennies ;) but she does love the garden rail :D

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:57 am

I've been meaning to do a guide to the Mamod track for some time. The original track as supplied with the first Railway sets is the best for joining, as the later track suffers from poor moulding. With some work this track is actually very useable.

I intend laying my track on top of level breeze blocks, probably with some form of rubber underlay.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:11 pm

CCairns wrote:I intend laying my track on top of level breeze blocks, probably with some form of rubber underlay.
I do certainlyhope that won't be mamod track :lol: !

James
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by James » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:11 pm

Superb line, i have a 5"gauge line but am being tempted by this, to build one in my garden!!!:shock: :shock:

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:49 pm

thanks James
I dont have the room here for a 5" guage but O guage is fun.