Isle of Man

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:37 pm

Has anyone been to the new preserved railway on the Isle of man. Its called the Laxey Mines railway, and was built in the 1870's for transporting copper-I think. Anyway, it's recently been reopened to tourists, and i was wanting to know if it was good so that I could put it on my list of railways to visit whilst I'm on the Island this easter.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:52 pm

Havn't been on it, they were finishing track laying when I was there, but from what piccies ive seen, it looks intresting, has very small loading gauge so all the stock is tiny!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:22 pm

As I posted above, it is actually called the Great Laxey Mines Railway.

I've been twice and it is well recommended to visit.

Since I last visited they have extended the railway further towards the wheel, although not all on the original trackbed. They have also ordered a 2nd passenger coach, and one of the locos was sent back to the Mainland for repairs (they have not been such a good buy).

Sorry no photos at present as my hard drive crashed, but have a look at this photo - http://markamis-rail.fotopic.net/p29775825.html

Best bit to watch is when the driver has to duck down when entering the tunnel under the main road, hence the very small seats on the footplate, otherwise he loses his head!

Somehow I do not think this would be allowed in the H&S world of the UK (remember the Isle of Man is not in the UK!).

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:15 pm

any one know how much the ferry cost to go there ?

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:18 pm

Not much i think. I was on the computor last night comparing prices, and its about £30 for a return journey in the spring per person.(this is very, very cheap compaired to flying there-£150 per person!)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:36 am

I assume you will be going with the camper van Graham, so here is the website for the Isle of Man ferries - http://www.steam-packet.com/SteamPacket ... w/Book-Now

Quick search came up with a return fare of £220 for 2 adults plus 6.5m Camper Van so not as cheap as last posting.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:16 am

ouch guess we wont be visiting this time round :(

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:33 am

The figers I gave were for a foot crossing, not with a car/campervan. Sorry about the mix up.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:54 am

no worries Matt you didnt know

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by New Haven Neil » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:55 am

Matt wrote:Great news.  I've managed to persuade my dad to take me to the isle of man this easter :D, and we're going to try and visit all the railways, including the Groudle Glen Railway, where they have a shop that sells Edrigs :D  :D .
You need to contact John (Trackshack) if you want an Edrig - the shop normally just carries rolling stock I think....but he has stock in his 'warehouse' elsewhere on our beautiful island.....

NHN

33 (the newest electric car) at Laxey.

Living on an island paradise, the Isle of Man - narrow gauge trains and motorbike racing!

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:37 am

nice looking car :D

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:11 pm

It was No.33 that was used on the Steam Railway running with a generator disguised in a box wagon, and actually went a lot better than the Steam locos. As I recall it was the most powerful tram they had at the time, hence its use for this enthusiasts special event.

Cannot remember which year it was at present (it was before the waterworks closed the railway, so late 1990s), but I have some old video of it having the generator wagon run round at Port Erin, which I'll try and edit at some point.

MTA

Post by MTA » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:18 pm

The Isle of Mann, the land where time has stood still (in terms of its public transport :lol: )

I went a few years ago for a week, staying in Port Erin. This was just after the Dubs built No. 15 'Caledonia' had re-entered service and before the Sewage Pipe was laid under the 3ft gauge line.

It was also during the foot and mouth epidemic so when we went up Snaefell you couldn't go beyond the concrete pads where the trains arrived :cry:

Beautiful weather all week, except the day when we went on the Groudle Glen :roll:

Although one time soon, when 'Polar Bear' goes back to the GGR I hope to go along too :D

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:30 pm

the land where time has stood still (in terms of its public transport)

Unfortunately that is not totally true. David Howard was the Transport Manager from 1999 to 2006, and will be famously remembered for the thrust on health and safety issues, the abundance of high visibility clothing on staff, warning signs, etc, the conversion of all but one manual level crossings to automatic operation, and the introduction of a very modern bus fleet (he had previous bus experience with UK operators).

However I was lucky enough to be there when Polar Bear visited for one of the enthusiast specials and got to ride behind the double-header with Sea Lion as well.

MTA

Post by MTA » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:42 pm

It really is the signs of the times with all this Health & Safety nonsense.

You can't go to a single Preserved Railway here in England without seeing a member of the footplate crew wearing one. The only time they would be required to wear one would be when they get down from a loco or when coupling up (in generalities).

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:39 pm

Aye, it is a bit of a shame, but the island is still a fantastic place. I went for the enthusiasts weekend back in 2005 and had a great time, if anyone's interested the photos can be found here, here, and here...

riveresk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by riveresk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:18 pm

Been on all railways save the miners line and the one in the animal park. Spent the ride on the Snaefell being scared that any moment the tram was going to fall down the mountainside so I didn't really enjoy it which was a shame :( I have a slight problem with heights.
'Oliver's no use at all, thinks he's very clever. Says that he can manage us, that's the best joke ever. When he orders us about, with the greatest folly. We just push him down the well. Pop goes old Olly!'

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:55 pm

I must admit, I was a little disconcerted on my trip up Snaefell by the fact that you could see the body of the car swaying gently from side to side, even though the floor remained level... :shock:

Not that I'm trying to put you off or anything :P

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:16 pm

Bad news. My dad's got to have an operation this easter :( , so I can't go to the isle of man :( . However, we've decided to go in the summer instead, when the weather is nicer, and when all the railways are open at the same time :D (they aren't at easter). So I'll have to what a little longer to get my edrig, but I don't mind.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:05 pm

being scared that any moment the tram was going to fall down the mountainside

That actually happened on the Snowdon Mountain Railway on its first day of operation, where the loco jumped off the Abt rail - see here for more details - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowdon_Mountain_Railway

The Snaefell Mountain Railway uses the Fell Braking system, which is the grinding noise you hear caused by the brake blocks running on the centre raised rail. Thus the cars should remain on the track.

you could see the body of the car swaying gently from side to side

Again it is designed to do that as the bodywork is all wood. Happens on the Manx Electric Railway as well, although not quite so obvious. I was lucky to visit the Manx Electric Railway workshops and saw how they rebuild the trams for both systems. Some very nice carpentry.

As the upper part of the Snaefell Mountain railway has the overhead wires removed for Winter, in order to service the various communication aerials, etc. on top of the mountain, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) have their own Wickham railcars, which are normally kept out of view in the sheds just up the track from the start at Laxey. Again on another enthusiasts special we got a guided tour of the sheds.

Matt Good luck for your Dad's operation. As you say it will be better to visit in summer when more of the railways are open, or have longer running days. Just a pity you will have to wait a little longer for your Edrig. I've just found this on the IOM bus and rail info noticeboard - Enthusiasts Weekend Friday 18th July to Monday 21st July 2008 (as yet there is no detailed itinerary for the Enthusiasts week this will follow as soon as details become available) Could be the right time to visit, although just reading the Ministers report to Tynwald in February 2008, the Manx Electric Railway will not be operating between Laxey and Ramsey in 2008. A great pity as I think that is the better part of the line.

All this Isle of Man talk is tempting me to look at going to the Enthusiasts Weekend this summer. Where else can you get a steam train from the airport to your hotel!