Page 1 of 1
IP Engineering Piston Upgrade Kit
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:05 am
by ACLR
I recieved my kit to day and here are the instructions
hope this is useful to some one.
sorry about the quality as it didnt scan too well

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:14 pm
by Chris Cairns
Thanks for posting this Graham.
It is interesting that although it is provided with a gland nut, no 'O' ring is used. So why fit a gland nut in the first place?
The 'O' ring kit that I have most of the bits for has no gland nuts fitted, it is not an IP Eng one.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:05 pm
by SillyBilly
Gone over the top with the saftey notices haven't they

? It's interesting to read that, and I'm no more confident in investing in a set, maybe at the Stoneleigh show I can get my dad to get them, wrap them up and give them to me for my birthday, a day later!
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:22 pm
by Chris Cairns
It is the easiest & cheapest way to get uprated cylinders, but you will need to have a good lubricator as those 'O' rings do not like running without some oil.
I would recommend fitting the Roundhouse Lubricator as I've found the IP Eng one useless (planning to refit mine with 1/8" pipe to see if that improves the non-existent oil flow I have at present).
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:24 pm
by laalratty
Has the oil pipe in the lubricator acutally got a hole in it? Someone on the egroup had one that didn't have a hole in it! No hole=no oil
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:36 pm
by Chris Cairns
Yes it has and does get a little steam through when the cap is off, and boiler in steam.
However I feel that IP Eng did not take care when bending these pipes, and I had to bend them further to make it fit. Unfortunately with so many tight bends I have been unable to push a piece of wire all the way through. Not sure what size the pipe is but it is smaller than 1/8" which is the standard size for the Mamod/MSS Steam and Exhaust pipes.
Hence my thinking that a bit more diameter in the pipe plus some careful bending should get more of a steam flow hopefully, and get the oil to the cylinders/pistons and reverser/regulator.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:06 pm
by SillyBilly
I've never planned on getting one of those considering the price is considerably more than a roundhouse one, and the position is particulary vile.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:11 pm
by ACLR
here is a pic of whats in the kit

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:05 pm
by ACLR
here is a diferent set of instructions

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:57 pm
by ptlrcecil
mmm. For ease of fitting I wold still have to recomend the full cylinder kit for about 25 pounds. But thats just me , (ive got to much mone and not enough time).
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:14 pm
by Chris Cairns
IP Eng cylinders now £32 a pair, and PPS uprated cylinders £36 a pair.
Replacement MSS cylinders from PPS £15 each, or from Chasteam £18.50. I believe these have been upgraded fron the original Mamod format.
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:34 pm
by steamyjim
Whats the differance between the Mamod and MSS cylinders?
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:54 pm
by Chris Cairns
Not sure but if you look at your locos you will see the difference externally (your 1st and 4th photo in your posting show this difference externally -
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about17.html ).
The MSS one you have has a bit sticking out of the rear cylinder face, possibly fitted with some form of packing or even an 'O' ring. Whereas your Mamod loco has a flat rear cylinder face.
I have not taken a MSS cylinder apart as the only ones I have are fitted to my MSS Saddle Tank which is still running in/in the workshop at present.
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:25 pm
by ACLR
Both mss and mamod are basicaly the same and the ends are press fit no oring. the mss ons are turned out a bit diferent thats all
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:12 pm
by steamyjim
I see know

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:49 pm
by ACLR
CCairns wrote:IP Eng cylinders now £32 a pair, and PPS uprated cylinders £36 a pair.
Replacement MSS cylinders from PPS £15 each, or from Chasteam £18.50. I believe these have been upgraded fron the original Mamod format.
£36 is = AUD$80 so is and expensive upgrade for us thats why I went the cheaper piston upgrade route