MSS Saddle tank: A review

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
pauly
Driver
Driver

MSS Saddle tank: A review

Post by pauly » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:18 am

Isnt it strange that we have a review board but nobodies posted any reviews in it :|

well heres mine for an MSS Saddle tank.

Buying an MSS is always a bit of a gamble. You could get a fantastic little engine or a complete lemon!
But for just over £170 its worth the risk.
I opened the little MSS box to find my wonderful little black saddle tank nestling in a piece of foam. I peeled it out and took a look at it and was impressed by the paint finish and the way it looked.

it looks great and ran really, really well! perfect infact!

Price: 8/10 , I took 2 points off because your paying about £15 more for a piece of shaped metal over the boiler

ease of use: 10/10 you cant get much simpler than that little lever at the front of the smoke box so ths is an easy and fun model to run

functionality: 5/10 why is there no whistle like the other MSS engines! that was a really fun part of the engine and when I was running the saddle tank I found myself reaching in to pull a whistle lever that wasnt bloody there! Bottom line have a whistle!

Looks : 9/10 I took 1 point away because while it does look great the saddletank has a weird inverted shape that narrows owards the smokebox and just looks weird.

Realism : 7/10 wobbly cylinders and regulators sticking out of the front of the engine really distract from its fine appearance and are not realistic but are forgivable given the locos toyish charms.

So thats 39 out of a possible 50 points for the MSS Saddle tank in black!

if you have some spare cash and fancy a fun, little and well perportioned engine that shouldnt be taken to seriously try it out![/b]
A steam propelled life-style.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Re: MSS Saddle tank: A review

Post by mhlr » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:31 am

pauly wrote:Looks : 9/10 I took 1 point away because while it does look great the saddletank has a weird inverted shape that narrows owards the smokebox and just looks weird.
That's the heat shroud isn't it? If that wasn't there, the fire would blow out!

pauly
Driver
Driver

Re: MSS Saddle tank: A review

Post by pauly » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:33 am

mhlr wrote:
pauly wrote:Looks : 9/10 I took 1 point away because while it does look great the saddletank has a weird inverted shape that narrows owards the smokebox and just looks weird.
That's the heat shroud isn't it? If that wasn't there, the fire would blow out!
no it isnt the heat shroud.

to put it simply the saddle tank gets narrower as its nears the smokebox.
you dont notice it on most pictures but if you look at the engine from above the saddles weird shape is clear

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Ah I see, that makes more sense now. That's wierd.

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:32 pm

I love the fact you've dropped 5 points 'cos it doesn't have a whistle but have only dropped 3 for realism despite the fact that it looks like no loco I've ever seen :lol:
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:01 pm

Endless, Nameless wrote:I love the fact you've dropped 5 points 'cos it doesn't have a whistle but have only dropped 3 for realism despite the fact that it looks like no loco I've ever seen :lol:
I have no trouble putting that engine in a real situation/image

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:02 pm

pauly wrote:
Endless, Nameless wrote:I love the fact you've dropped 5 points 'cos it doesn't have a whistle but have only dropped 3 for realism despite the fact that it looks like no loco I've ever seen :lol:
I have no trouble putting that engine in a real situation/image
To be fair, I think the saddle tank has a passing resemblance to Tallylyn in the same way that a Roundhouse Billy has a passing resemblance to Douglas
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:14 pm

Don't get me wrong, it's an attractive engine. I've a soft spot for the standard ones too (or better still a "Jane", with the spec plate and centre buffers). But they aren't "realistic", even generically so- no motion, ossy cylinders. basic platework held together in a very agricultural fashion, bizzare buffers, flat door dart, minimal detailing... Yes, I know that's sort of what these locos are about and I've no problem with that... But it still seems very odd to mark it down 5 for not having a whistle but only a couple for realism to me!
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:55 am

well its my opinion, feel free tp write your own review on it.

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:36 am

Fair enough. I just feel a review should be fair and unbiased (as much as possible). If it was "my opinions of the MSS saddle tank" then I wouldn't have an issue!
Matt

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:47 am

Im the only 1 here who has actually done a review for this section!
its the first 1 and itll take time and practice to perfect it so please try to keep this in mind when you complain!

in fact since your so good at critisizing others and their efforts why dont you try doing a review of something and see if you can please everyone first time around and still make an interesting read?

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:09 pm

I'd be crap at reviewing something, which is why I haven't (also, I only have an Edrig- like what, at least half the forum?!). I'm boring and unimaginitive.

I thought most of it was pretty good actually. Take it as constructive criticism for next time and not just me being a miserable dear, that's what it was supposed to be :lol:
Matt

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:45 pm

Endless, Nameless wrote:But they aren't "realistic", even generically so- no motion, ossy cylinders. basic platework held together in a very agricultural fashion, bizzare buffers, flat door dart, minimal detailing...
*praying that Pete MHLR doesn't feel the need to add his opinion*
pauly wrote:Im the only 1 here who has actually done a review for this section!
www.gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about681.html ;)

PCLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by PCLR » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:47 pm

i bet it will not be long before some one does one on an edrig!!!or similer
Buckinghamshire Railway Centre !!
VAMES!!
keeping steem alive if a little smaller!
Michael