Accucraft Shay

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Bad Droid
Cleaner
Cleaner

Accucraft Shay

Post by Bad Droid » Wed May 08, 2024 5:19 pm

So.....I think my plans have changed a bit as far as my return to live steam, had a couple questions for y'all.
My original plan was to replace my Ruby that I sold a few years back and build either a Billy or Lady Anne Kit, then Americanize that model.
I still want to replace the Ruby, modify from there but I'm having second thoughts about the Roundhouse build. I think I would like to go with an Accucraft 13T Shay in "kit" form for the mining district of my railroad that only exists in my head at the moment. I'd really like their older Open Cab Shay, but they don't produce that any longer and I don't really want a used one.
So my questions..
Do any of you have experience with any of the Accucraft Shays? If so, can it handle a 1% grade? Id really like to make a crossover loop on my future mining district, I have lots of space and it would be a large portion of the railroad. The Shay will/would be remote controlled as well.
My original plan of a RH Kit was to save a little cash, but after the build, mods to Americanize and materials, I think I'm within a couple bucks of the Shay kit, and I'm a huge Shay fan....
Thanks in advance, hopefully I'm in the correct section of the forum for all of this.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Accucraft Shay

Post by GTB » Thu May 09, 2024 2:06 am

Bad Droid wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:19 pm Do any of you have experience with any of the Accucraft Shays? If so, can it handle a 1% grade? Id really like to make a crossover loop on my future mining district, I have lots of space and it would be a large portion of the railroad. The Shay will/would be remote controlled as well.
I have no experience of the new Accucraft 13T Shay. Haven't even seen one, as they've only recently been delivered to Oz.......

I do have a 28T 3 cylinder example of the last batch. My experience getting it to actually run properly is in this post.

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?t=11047

I've run it with a load of six timber pairs on 1:30 grades (3% ?) with no issues, but only AFTER the rebuild. It wouldn't have pulled the skin off a rice pudding as it came out of the box.

There's no point in fitting r/c to a Shay, even if you could find the space. They only run at two speeds, as slow as a wet week, or stationary. I doubt I could fit r/c in the 28T model and there'd be even less space in the 13T model.

The Shays don't run anything like a Ruby, as the gearing ratio is very low and so they don't speed up downhill, or slow on an upgrade if it comes to that. On it's home track mine now plods along at a constant pace up hill and down dale with a load of eleven timber pairs at a scale speed of about 2.5 mph.

Regards,
Graeme
Last edited by GTB on Thu May 09, 2024 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu May 09, 2024 2:34 am

I second everything Graeme has said, my 3 cylinder Shay had to have work done under warranty out of the box. Atrocious Quality control, if it exists. Grades are not a problem, however I don't believe they are an engine to run too often like a Rod driven loco. the drive line is far more susceptible to dirt and grit, and far more delicate in its construction.
Shay and Logs 4.JPG
Shay and Logs 4.JPG (231.71 KiB) Viewed 256 times
I like Shays, just don't like the way Accucraft make them. My opinion only.
Grant.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu May 09, 2024 4:45 am

Well, I can’t speak to the other guys’ opinions because I don’t have one.

But there is no doubt it can handle a 1% grade.

Scrat
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Scrat » Thu May 09, 2024 10:21 am

I also have an Accucraft two truck Shay (MichCal).
Good steamer, good runner, pulls everything you put behind her.

Only drawback (in my view) is the huge hand pump.
You can fill the boiler with just a few strokes but it is easy to tilt the loco in the process, lifting the front bogie off the track.
Easy to copy with if used to it

Bad Droid
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Bad Droid » Thu May 09, 2024 9:47 pm

Thanks everyone, very helpful!
On the two cylinder, can you do what I did w the Ruby and give it good steam at the throttle and use the reverser valve to regulate speed (and direction of course)?
That's how I ran the ruby with RC, a single servo on the valve instead of the throttle.
A bit bummed but also understand that there's no room for rc in the little shay but I can get around that, not the end of the world.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri May 10, 2024 2:15 am

Bad Droid wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:47 pm On the two cylinder, can you do what I did w the Ruby and give it good steam at the throttle and use the reverser valve to regulate speed (and direction of course)?
I see no reason why not. I gather the valve gear on the 13T Shay (and the other Shay models) is much the same as the Ruby design, with piston valves on the cylinders and a third piston valve doing the reversing. Driving with a single servo on the reverser is a common arrangement on other Accucraft models with that valve gear.

Graeme.

Bad Droid
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Bad Droid » Fri May 10, 2024 7:02 pm

GTB wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:15 am
I see no reason why not. I gather the valve gear on the 13T Shay (and the other Shay models) is much the same as the Ruby design, with piston valves on the cylinders and a third piston valve doing the reversing. Driving with a single servo on the reverser is a common arrangement on other Accucraft models with that valve gear.

Graeme.
Thanks Graeme. Right after I had asked that, I stumbled on this, he's doing exactly what I was wondering about: