end of Edrig!

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
pauly
Driver
Driver

end of Edrig!

Post by pauly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:13 pm

The final batch of Edrigs is about to be made after that there will be no more, I thought that Edrig would have outlasted the RH Millie.  :)
A steam propelled life-style.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:04 pm

Where did this info come from? Surely they must be replacing it with something similar, as I thought Edrig was Accucraft's best selling product!

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:19 pm

mhlr wrote:Where did this info come from? Surely they must be replacing it with something similar, as I thought Edrig was Accucraft's best selling product!
Trackshack

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:16 pm

I cannot believe that, as Pete said I would of thought that Edrig would be Accucrafts biggest selling engine. I notice the 16mm association has got one as a prize for next years raffle. Looking at the accucraft website, the next and allgedly last batch is due in August. I await developments with interest, if Edrig did go Accucraft would be going mad if they didn't bring out a reasonably priced alternative. Roundhouse Millie sales would increase though :D
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:26 pm

laalratty wrote:Roundhouse Millie sales would increase though :D
Still a bit pricey for entrants to live steam garden railways though, especially since it doesn't have as many features as Edrig in standard form... :( I really hope Accucraft do something about it... I would have thought the Edrig made at least 25 - 30% of their sales world wide!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:13 pm

If you can find something which is better value for money than an Edrig, I want to know!!

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:02 pm

SillyBilly wrote:If you can find something which is better value for money than an Edrig, I want to know!!
well thats a matter of opinion isnt it, I think that Millies are great value for what they are and where they where built but think edrigs are cheap chinese tat, you probably think different ;) :lol:

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:16 pm

pauly wrote:edrigs are cheap chinese tat, you probably think different  ;)   :lol:
The definition of "tat" is: 'cheapness: tastelessness by virtue of being cheap and vulgar'.

Yes, it's cheap - Which is good from a beginner's point of veiw.
Yes, it's Chinese - They are made there, hence exactly why they're cheap. One day, this could change... May be one day, they will be made in the UK, because the rise of cost of shipping etc is too high to produce them in China.

But the definition of "tat" doesn't quite fit the Accucraft Edrig... It is 'cheapness, but 'tastelessness' is a matter of opinion, it certainly isnt 'vulgar' by anymeans... It doesn't lack refinement, therefore how can it be vulgar. Yes, they may have problems in quality control from time to time, but there is no way that you can accept it if there is, simply send it back to the supplier if there is a problem and it can be fixed free of charge.

I am in no way against your opinion on the Millie, I think they are great. However, Millies are a fair bit more expensive than the Edrig, and do not have all the features that Edrig does have...
Last edited by mhlr on Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:17 pm

pauly wrote: and where they where built but think edrigs are cheap chinese tat, you probably think different  ;)   :lol:
That's going to cause an argument i'm sure :lol:
Personally however, I also think Millies are great value, the fact it's a potboiler dosn't give the engine any sort of disadvantage, and i'm yet to see an Edrig run as well as my millie on a hilly line (just about equal on a flat line), although admitedly the Edrig will pull a heck of a lot more. Plus there is such a minute chance of anything going wrong, because the people who built it care about what they are doing, whilst the men who build the Edrig are thinking about how to get enough money to feed their family. Although it is definatly very bad news if the Edrig is discontinued and not replaced.
"What the hell is that?"

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:22 pm

At stoneleigh this year whilst waiting to talk to someone on the accucraft stand about my out of time excelsior (now sorted) I did happen to catch a conversation with the head- is it Mr. Pearce or someone? Anyway this envolved stopping the edrigs and the caradocs and creating a sort of merge between the two. They were only chatting though so this may not come to light.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:27 pm

guys calm down ;) like I said its a matter of opinion, in your opinion it might be the greatest bargain youv ever seen but in my opinion its an ugly oversized piece of c**p.

but thats just what I think, all that should matter too you is what you think of it not me or anyone else :)

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:28 pm

pauly wrote: I think that Millies are great value  
although i think millies are good, i dont think they are such greta value for money.
slip eccentric
pot boiler
quite plain

If they had stayed at their old price of £420, then yes, i would say thats good value., but £530 for it, nah.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:30 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR wrote:At stoneleigh this year whilst waiting to talk to someone on the accucraft stand about my out of time excelsior (now sorted) I did happen to catch a conversation with the head- is it Mr. Pearce or someone? Anyway this envolved stopping the edrigs and the caradocs and creating a sort of merge between the two. They were only chatting though so this may not come to light.
then you get this!

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:30 pm

like I just said in my last post, its a matter of opinion!

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:37 pm

:sign5: the words "Pete" and "Mamods" come to mind... ;) ;) < Meant to be a hint there... i.e. If I couldn't push my luck, don't try yourself ;)

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:39 pm

there no other matter of opinion on mamod though, their just that great! ;) :lol:

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:50 pm

pauly wrote:in your opinion it might be the greatest bargain youv ever seen but in my opinion its an ugly oversized piece of c**p.
Can I just question that - Why do you own a Caradoc in that case? That's oversized...............

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:58 pm

I got the caradoc for when Im running in the winter and for when it snows and I need an RC engine, its easy to add RC to a caradoc.

also Caradocs look better because they have a full cab.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:59 pm

I've always though that an Edrig is too big to be a cabless engine, but that Caradoc is well proportioned because it as a cab, and it's also pretty. I'll be rather disappointed if Caradoc goes as well, even though mine is a bit of a dog, it's the engine that started me off with a bit of an interest in garden railways thanks to a Tag Gorton revue in Railway Modeller
"What the hell is that?"

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:38 pm

Just got this reply from accucraft

Hi Andy

Edrig and Caradoc are being replaced with a similar loco to Caradoc but
with a price between the two models. We may even add more colours to the
range. Having only one model will enable us to keep more in stock, and by
ordering more of the same type helps to keep the costs down.

We hope to have a sample model at the Llanfair Steam Gala in September.

We are having a final batch of Edrig delivered in early September, we also
have Caradoc in stock.

Hope this clears the situation.

Regards

Ian Pearse
Accucraft UK Ltd