Page 1 of 1
Generic Chassis
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:01 am
by sjrixon
Morning..
I'm very new to 3D printing, had the printer about 2 weeks. But, a very long time ago I did enjoy design and tech, so loving getting back into this!
Using Rik's amazing guide on tinker cad I got up and running quite quickly to build a few of my own projects. My idea was to build a generic chassis that I could then use to add different bodies too.
So, starting here.

- 20210419_151721.jpg (639.89 KiB) Viewed 8053 times
Then I created the rest to make a running chassis.

- 20210420_171129.jpg (568.24 KiB) Viewed 8053 times
Re: Generic Chassis
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:05 am
by sjrixon
I added a gap in the middle to take some lead weight I had kicking around.

- 20210420_171133.jpg (911.63 KiB) Viewed 8052 times
Then head stock and magnetic couplers added.

- 20210421_194156.jpg (437.98 KiB) Viewed 8052 times
I've already planned version 2. I want to add some guides to clip it together, I made the headstock too short so the coupling is off the bottom, the coupling can also now be printed as part of the headstock. The wheels want to be further apart, oh and I swiped the wheels from someone else's project to make sure it would work.
Not bad though for a first hit!
Thanks to Rik and his amazing guide to get me going with tinkercad!
Re: Generic Chassis
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:16 am
by Andrew
That's very good - I really like the idea of using 3D printing to mass produce the generic bits. The axleguards look particularly good, and I like the "lead pocket" too, very clever...
Andrew.
Re: Generic Chassis
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:03 pm
by SimonWood
Really nice.
Andrew wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:16 am
I like the "lead pocket" too, very clever...
Seconded, that's extremely nifty.
Re: Generic Chassis
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:56 pm
by philipy
Thirded!

That is very impressive for a first attempt, looking forward to what you get up to once you are fully up to speed!
Re: Generic Chassis
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:23 pm
by sjrixon
Thanks all! The lead slot felt like such a simple idea..
Added the bed with some foamex..

- 20210422_094512 (1).jpg (387.21 KiB) Viewed 8021 times
Re: Generic Chassis
Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:28 am
by ge_rik
You've made incredible progress in the space of two weeks. Very impressive. That chassis looks spot on! Glad my tutorial was useful, but I'm sure most of it is down to your determinism.
Rik
Re: Generic Chassis
Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:53 am
by sjrixon
Thanks!!! You certainly pointed me in the right direction!

Re: Generic Chassis
Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:43 pm
by sjrixon
I've made a few improvements for V2..On the printer at the moment. Just made it a little longer and added some lugs to help locate the parts together. I don't know why it's taken me so long!
Re: Generic Chassis
Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:16 pm
by sjrixon
Version 2 up and running..
Sat next to verion 1. I've lengthened it a little and moved the wheels apart too, I felt they were a little close. There are now tabs in the main bed to help locate the solebars, not a tight fit, but help when you glue. And the slot for weights has been improved to take car wheel weights rather than a lump of led.
Re: Generic Chassis
Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:18 am
by DafyddElvy
sjrixon wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:16 pm
Version 2 up and running..
Sat next to verion 1. I've lengthened it a little and moved the wheels apart too, I felt they were a little close. There are now tabs in the main bed to help locate the solebars, not a tight fit, but help when you glue. And the slot for weights has been improved to take car wheel weights rather than a lump of led.
A few years ago when I was getting a tyre changed and saw them throw the weights in the bin, I said I would like them for myself, received the normal strange look but when I told the guy what they were for he asked how many I would like.
A quick clean at home and the are ready to be stuck to anything, and they are easy to cut and shape.
Well worth a trip the the local tyre changing establishment to get some free weights.
David
Re: Generic Chassis
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:59 am
by sjrixon
That's a top tip.
Although, there were not that expensive, and I like them being sticky. Easy to work out how many you need and then quickly stick them on...