FWLR Water Tower
- FWLR
- Driver

- Posts: 4588
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 am
- Location: Preston, Lancashire, UK
FWLR Water Tower
I have finished my water tower for the FWLR. Now it's no where in the same league has ge_rik's and I would never assume to have the same building skills has some of our more illustrious members who do some absolutely brilliant builds. But I thought the Model Town one did need improving some what, especially after I was so disappointed with the water outlet, ( the chain was just stuck in loosely with a small nail to the outlet pipe.)
Anyway here are some photos for you.
This is the brickwork base ( Real Bricks) with some steps and handrails.
You can see how and where I put the chain, it was just a bit of Plasticard.
It has a lamp I had made from https://slrmodels.co.uk
I need to put a bit of rust running down the slates to the lamp.
The Lamp does work....
I think it works.......
Anyway here are some photos for you.
This is the brickwork base ( Real Bricks) with some steps and handrails.
You can see how and where I put the chain, it was just a bit of Plasticard.
It has a lamp I had made from https://slrmodels.co.uk
I need to put a bit of rust running down the slates to the lamp.
The Lamp does work....
I think it works.......
ROD
Life is so easy when I run my trains.










https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364
https://www.youtube.com/@fairywoodlightrailway
Life is so easy when I run my trains.
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364
https://www.youtube.com/@fairywoodlightrailway
- Andrew
- Moderator

- Posts: 3422
- Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm
- Location: Bristol, UK
- Contact:
Re: FWLR Water Tower.
Looking good Rod - I really like the weathering, and the lighting's very effective too...
Cheers,
Andrew.
Cheers,
Andrew.
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Re: FWLR Water Tower.
Well done Rod, that is an impressive build and well finished. I love the working lamp too.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?
- pandsrowe
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 247
- Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:15 pm
- Location: West Norfolk, UK
Re: FWLR Water Tower
If you want some real rust just let it weather outside for a few weeks, the chain will soon rust. In my case I had to replace the supplied chain with some brass (not brass plated) within a year. Not sure what the chain composition is but it's a long time since I've seen steel rust quite as quickly.
Phil
- philipy
- Moderator

- Posts: 6056
- Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm
- Location: South Northants
- Keith S
- Driver

- Posts: 1668
- Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
- Location: Canada
Re: FWLR Water Tower
The lamp is very good, and I am also really impressed with the green algae you have depicted on the clay tiles/brick at the base of the building. That stuff doesn't grow as well here in Canada, so I tend to notice it when I'm in the U.K.- I know green slime is a dubious national artifact, but really where doesn't that stuff grow? If someone chose not to include it on a British model, you'd almost have to explain why it wasn't there!
- Soar Valley Light
- Driver

- Posts: 1490
- Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm
- Location: North West Leicestershire
Re: FWLR Water Tower
What a fantastic building Rod - well done! The detailing is absolutely brilliant. I love the light too. A great addition to your railway.
Andrew
Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"
- ge_rik
- Administrator

- Posts: 8004
- Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
- Location: Cheshire
- Contact:
Re: FWLR Water Tower
Looks pretty damn good to me, Rod. Like me, you can probably only see the flaws in your modelling, but to me it looks really effective. I like the way you've incorporated a light; an idea I may borrow if that's ok with you.
Rik
Rik
- FWLR
- Driver

- Posts: 4588
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 am
- Location: Preston, Lancashire, UK
Re: FWLR Water Tower
Thanks Rik, that is a compliment coming from someone of your standing.
Of course it is Rik. I don't have a problem with borrowing any of yours....

Of course it is Rik. I don't have a problem with borrowing any of yours....
ROD
Life is so easy when I run my trains.










https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364
https://www.youtube.com/@fairywoodlightrailway
Life is so easy when I run my trains.
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364
https://www.youtube.com/@fairywoodlightrailway
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests