Regner whistle fitting

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Regner whistle fitting

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Had fun playing with my new Willi whilst the wife was out, unfortunately the whistle blew off ...literally. I'm not sure what bits I need to reattach it . The picture shows the bit I have but the kit I have seen talks about copper washers and compression olives. Can I buy bits to fit or do I need to pay the forty quid for another whistle just to get them? Come to that what order do these bits fit with whatever I'm missing, there was a disintegrated washer at the base of the fitting. Any help appreciated.
20170809_180306.jpg
20170809_180306.jpg (219.33 KiB) Viewed 3888 times

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Re: Regner whistle fitting

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:26 pm

I assume that this has just blown off the end of the steam pipe and you still have the whistle operating valve attached to the boiler, plus the steam pipe?

Here is the full kit.
Regner Whistle.JPG
Regner Whistle.JPG (545.18 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
The whistle operating valve is attached to the boiler bushing/steam manifold using copper washers to seal it. The steam pipe is connected to this valve using a union nut, with a compression olive on the steam pipe. At the other end of the steam pipe the whistle is also attached using a union nut & a compression olive on the steam pipe.
Regner Instructions wrote:Am Kupferrohr muss nicht gelotet werden. Der selbstschneidende Ring wird bis an das Ende des Kupferrorhres geschoben und wird der Mutter und dem entsprechenden Gegengewinde verschraubt.
Google translation - The copper tube does not have to be soldered. The self-tapping ring is pushed up to the end of the copper tube and is screwed to the nut and the corresponding mating thread.

Mamod use similar compression olives which I've found ineffective, so best to solder them in place.

The disintegrated washer could be PTFE tape, which Regner use for sealing threaded fittings.

Graham & Janet Austin ( http://www.gardenrailways.co.uk/ ) are the UK authorised Regner agent & very helpful if you need any parts.

Chris Cairns

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks Chris, looking at their website (Graham) the contents of the whistle kit talk of two solder nipples. The small piece in the middle of my picture has a nice pointy end that fits the base of the valve and fits nicely over the pipe. Suggests to me I could solder it and just clamp to fit. Would normal fluxed solder be ok or should it e silver soldered?

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 pm

My whistle kit is some years old so I see they have now added Lötringe (solder unions/nipples) to the kit as well.

Regner state that these should be silver soldered to the steam pipe.

Chris Cairns

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Thanks Chris, reading up looks like a silver solder job or hunt down an olive.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:20 am

These guys sell Regner spares:

http://www.gardenrailways.co.uk

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks guys. Garden Railways had olives so stocked up with O rings and regner tools as well.