added some garden decoration today

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

added some garden decoration today

Post by artfull dodger » Sun May 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Just before we got a week of nothing but rainy weather(nearly 6 inches of rain!), I had gotten the foundation with imbedded bolts poured for my railroad grade crossing lights. Today it finally has cleared up, sun is out along with a light breeze, mid 60'F temps so a touch chilly but nice out. I got the mast bolted in place and nearly plum according to my spirit level. I took the lights off the cross piece. Bolted the cross piece back on the mast, bolted the cross buck back in place, then remounted and rewired the lights to correct RR practice. I am using a 3 wire HD cored to feed power to the lights. I need to get a small relay cabinet made to go under the train layout(seen to the left of the lights with stack of bricks under it). I have the correct relay to make them flash. I need someone with a taller ladder to get the heavy bell back on the top of the mast, my ladder isnt tall enough to safely put that heavy thing back on top. Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: added some garden decoration today

Post by artfull dodger » Mon May 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Here is a link to a short video of the signal flashing. I am using the normal relay used by the railroad to make the lights alternate. Uses two electromagnets to rock the contacts back and forth. Operates on 12vdc. Mike
https://youtu.be/0IiBhV2P5Lw

Here is a pic of the relay.
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Big Jim

Re: added some garden decoration today

Post by Big Jim » Mon May 08, 2017 11:59 pm

Very impressive.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!