Turnouts

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Turnouts

Post by dizzysteamer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Is it common practice to use solenoid's to switch remote points, a three wire system the same as 00 using momentary wiping contact switch's.?
I noticed in lots of video's the engine pushing the switch rail over when approaching from the trailing end. But on our track plan this will not work for some turn outs. We will have to switch over pairs together.

Steph :)
Amateur engineer,  frustrated would be locomotive driver😊

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:26 pm

All railways I have visited have used the hand of god system or remote using stiff wire.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:51 pm

As an expert in knowing absolutely nothing, I have attempted the use of servos to change points following the tradition of indoor exhibition layouts and can offer the following...
They must be of the waterproof variety. I believe ones used in ship models are available for this.
Wiring should be heavy enough to carry sufficient current without power loss over a given distance.
A master panel with suitable electronics to control the throw of individual points is required.
Wherever you site the master control panel (indoors) is likely to be in an inconvenient position to access in emergency situations.
As you might have guessed, my eleven servos are now in the bin!!!

My preferred (and successful) alternative is to use a wire-in-tube option. Bike shops sell brake cable in 2m lengths and it works well outdoors in the wet, just as it should. The switch position can be sited near to the point in question, enabling you to be able to reach it quickly.
Rigid wire running through screw-eyes is also a cheap and effective solution.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dizzysteamer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:48 pm

Peter Butler:123706 wrote:As an expert in knowing absolutely nothing, I have attempted the use of  servos to change points following the tradition of indoor exhibition layouts and can offer the following...
They must be of the waterproof variety. I believe ones used in ship models are available for this.
Wiring should be heavy enough to carry sufficient current without power loss over a given distance.
A master panel with suitable electronics to control the throw of individual points is required.
Wherever you site the master control panel (indoors) is likely to be in an inconvenient position to access in emergency situations.
As you might have guessed, my eleven servos are now in the bin!!!

My preferred (and successful) alternative is to use a wire-in-tube option.  Bike shops sell brake cable in 2m lengths and it works well outdoors in the wet, just as it should.  The switch position can be sited near to the point in question, enabling you to be able to reach it quickly.
Rigid wire running through screw-eyes is also a cheap and effective solution.
Hi Peter thanks for your thoughts on this we have used servo's on our coffee table layout with fair results I do like the idea of cable controlled turn outs they could be rigged alongside semaphore signals.
Sorry to hear you killed the servo,s out doors I guess our lovely weather is to blame for a lot of carnage in garden layouts.
I used 34 servo controllers on our coffee table layout, and have no wish to use servo's outside my partner wanted too but you have vindicated my thoughts on this.
Also as you pointed out where would you put the switch's :D
Here is an early pic of our n gauge. it just got complicated lol

Steph :)

dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dizzysteamer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:51 pm

Sir Clothem Cap:123705 wrote:All railways I have visited have used the hand of god system or remote using stiff wire.
Hi Sir Clothem Cap thank you for your reply, having never seen any garden railway its nice to know, I like that term hand of god :D

Steph :D