New loco for Staple Hill Railway - Roundhouse Bulldog

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

New loco for Staple Hill Railway - Roundhouse Bulldog

Post by James from Devon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:23 am

I decided to bolster the electric loco fleet at Staple Hill. While steam is the usual motive power of choice, there are those days when you want to chill out in the garden and watch the trains go by without having to be driving a steam loco (not that often but it does happen!)

I have electric locos from Accucraft and IP engineering and they are all OK in their own ways but I had wanted to add a Roundhouse electric loco and I am so glad that I did. The quality of build is fantastic, for it's small-ish size the Bulldog is very heavy and very powerful. On the Roundhouse website they state the locos match the performance of their steam models and this is certainly true.

It will run for two hours solidly, with a heavy train and recharges in around 2 1/2 hours.

If you are in the market I can thoroughly recommend this model. This also was my first dealing with Andrew at Garden Railway Centres who supplied the loco. He was very friendly and helpful and provided much advice and a very fast service...thanks Andrew!

Here is a youtube video of the first day in service: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EcsWh2 ... e=youtu.be

And some pics:
Right out of the box and onto the workbench

Doing what it was meant to do... a train of skips.

Next comes a driver, sound and the painful process of ruining the lovely paintjob with some decent weathering.

Happy steaming!
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:00 pm

A very attractive loco James, congratulations on your purchase. Whilst it does look great in its present livery, "ruining it" with a good weathering job will suit it far better me thinks. Your well laid track is certainly a joy to watch trains run over.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:51 pm

A lovely line you have there James, the Gulls are a nice background addition too...... and not pre-recorded either!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?