Had quite an eventful few weeks. I ordered some Nitrile balls from a UK supplier to use in the non-return valves. They weren't properly declared on the customs docket, and there was no paperwork with them. So, I got busted by the government agency for importing "seeds"

Eventually they were released to me.
Using mouth applied suction, I determined that these Nitrile balls weren't going to seal too well. I reassembled with the original stainless balls and all appeared well.
I've just had a run of the loco, and it's pumping very well now.
In order to prevent this valve issue recurring I'm going to have to run this loco often. Weekly should do it
This loco can be very fast. It really "comes onto the cam" at a certain speed. Next time I run it, I want to try a train with our battery electric loco in it, as a regulating load.
Now to reassemble the cab to the loco.
Best wishes,
Dave.