A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
-
Big Jim
Post
by Big Jim » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:35 pm
A little bit more progress.
More rivet heads stuck on and yet another waft of primer. This is done on the suggestion of a friend who is a paint sprayer by trade. This works as a guide coat. When you sand anything the primer stays in the low spots and firstly will fill any small nicks in the metal and secondly you get an idea of which bits need more serious attention.
DSC_0382 by
bigjimiflash, on Flickr[/img]
DSC_0385 by
bigjimiflash, on Flickr[/img]
I can't manage more than about half an hour at a time sticking the rivet head on as I find my eyeballs stop focusing on anything further away than 6'.
Interestingly the microstrip I am using is priced in £,s,d. It seems to be a lot more flexible than the more modern stuff and takes plastic weld much better.
-
Big Jim
Post
by Big Jim » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:19 pm
After not having done anything in the shed for a while due to other commitments I was able to get up there today and work on the cab fittings.
DSC_0417 by
bigjimiflash, on Flickr[/img]
DSC_0418 by
bigjimiflash, on Flickr[/img]
The brake has been fitted in a strange place simply because it seems to fit there. Also having worked on many different industrial machines and vehicles over the years there is always one part that is is just the right place to bang yourself on. I thought it would be apt to include such an embuggerance on this model.

-
ge_rik
- Administrator

- Posts: 8010
- Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
- Location: Cheshire
-
Contact:
Post
by ge_rik » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:42 pm
Well it certainly looks the part. I just added a few random dials and levers to my Jessie cab
Rik
-
Joe
Post
by Joe » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:37 pm
Nice to see it coming on well Jim
-
ge_rik
- Administrator

- Posts: 8010
- Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
- Location: Cheshire
-
Contact:
Post
by ge_rik » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:11 am
I tried searching the net for pictures of the inside of cabs when I came to detailing my Jessie. There are precious few images out there (unless my search criteria are no good). It's the same for steam loco cabs (unless it's an A1 or a US BigBoy etc).
Note to self: I must take more pictures of cabs when I'm next visiting preserved railways ...
Rik
-
Big Jim
Post
by Big Jim » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:01 pm
Managed to get a couple of hours up the shed this evening. The cab interior has been painted, the body has been filled and primed again.
The chassis has also been reassembled. I did have a few problems with paint reactions on the cranks but as it will be well weathered I am not overly worried.
DSC_0419 by
bigjimiflash, on Flickr[/img]
-
kandnwlr
Post
by kandnwlr » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:35 am
Looking good! Nice to see progress being made - despite academic life

-
Big Jim
Post
by Big Jim » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:21 pm
More progress tonight. All the rivet heads have now been stuck on. The cab interior is now finished. All that remains is another coat of primer, top coat, exhaust pipe and air box, sand boxes, couplings, interior lights, exterior lights, sound system, R/C gear (including soldering up the TX).
I might get it finished for Christmas.
I should have a little more shed time as my course has finished for Easter and all my essays have been done Yippie.
I need to get up their quick before the Mrs discovers that I have some freeish time on my hands.

-
Big Jim
Post
by Big Jim » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:31 pm
It has not been a good night in the shed.
I started soldering the Deltang controller I bought a while ago.
"Soldering Iron smells a bit funny" I thought...
Flash Bang and the lights went out.
"Right where's the torch?"
"Ahhh that would be the torch that my son had been playing with last weekend and left on and flattened the battery"
I found the fuse box and got the lights going again.
On the bench was a very smelly and smoking soldering iron.
I found the receipt, I had bought it 1 year and 1 week ago.
I gave up on this and decided to spray my Jessie.
All was going well until the air line caught the board the model was sitting on....
As I gathered up the loco body and retrieved the bits that had broken off I got cramp.....
After the swearing had died down I found the paint had dried in the airbrush.
As I started to strip it down I undid a bit I had never undone before.
PING!!!
A shower of small parts all over the floor.
Bent down to get them.
Cramp again!
Time to give up.
I am now currently dying for a pee, but am scared something will snap off in my hand!!!
-
bazzer42
Post
by bazzer42 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:19 am
I guess if Kingsley Amis had written Unlucky Jim you might have beem the star. I thought I had a bad day but at least you have kept your sense of humour.
I hope the lovely loco is repairable. Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time (but no cash towards new soldering iron etc)
-
ge_rik
- Administrator

- Posts: 8010
- Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
- Location: Cheshire
-
Contact:
Post
by ge_rik » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:58 am
We all have days like that. Well similar. Well maybe not that horrendous.
Why is it that if I drop something like a small screw on to the floor, it disappears? Yesterday, I dropped a 0.5mm drill bit on to the floor which I'd previously hoovered. Clean floor, it should be easy to find ...... was it?? Hands and knees job. I'm sure it defied the laws of physics to travel way beyond the expected search area!!
Rik
-
philipy
- Moderator

- Posts: 6059
- Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm
- Location: South Northants
Post
by philipy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:03 am
Ouch!!!!!
Our thoughts are with you are this difficult time in your life.

Philip
-
bazzer42
Post
by bazzer42 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:43 am
I guess if Kingsley Amis had written Unlucky Jim you might have beem the star. I thought I had a bad day but at least you have kept your sense of humour.
I hope the lovely loco is repairable. Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time (but no cash towards new soldering iron etc)
-
Chris Cairns
- Driver

- Posts: 2372
- Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 pm
- Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Post
by Chris Cairns » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:58 pm
I've lost count of how many times I've had to glue my IP Eng Lollypop railcar back together after being hit by falling objects in my 'workshop' (the kitchen).
In fact it is still not finished as the driver figure has proved difficult to glue in place (separate arms & head) prior to finally fitting the roof - one day!
Hopefully your damage is all easily repairable Jim.
Chris Cairns
-
Big Jim
Post
by Big Jim » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:01 pm
Damage I can deal with, I fear that it is my sanity that has taken a bit of a hiding.
-
Andrew
- Moderator

- Posts: 3422
- Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm
- Location: Bristol, UK
-
Contact:
Post
by Andrew » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:30 pm
Big Jim:110189 wrote:Damage I can deal with, I fear that it is my sanity that has taken a bit of a hiding.
If you play trains in the garden I fear that may have been the case regardless of your awful session in the shed...
I do hope things look brighter soon, good luck with everything!
Andrew.
-
Big Jim
Post
by Big Jim » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:45 pm
A fair bit of progress to report on the loco. The wiring is going in and has been tested with the home-soldered Deltang control unit and surprisingly the motor and RC all worked first time.
The lights and sound unit need connecting and it will then be time for a proper test drive.
I have to admit that the Deltang instructions were not the most clear and the build your own version of the controller was not as easy as I had hoped but I got there in the end.
As to a name...
Well for some reason 'Tubal-cain' suggested it self and seems appropriate...
'photos to follow when I remember to take the camera into the shed.
-
MDLR
Post
by MDLR » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:45 am
Big Jim:113097 wrote:Well for some reason 'Tubal-cain' suggested it self and seems appropriate...
Were you aware that that was the
nom de plume of Tom Walshaw, a British writer on Model Engineering?
-
Big Jim
Post
by Big Jim » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:48 pm
That I did know and I have some of his books and articles
The original Tubal-cain was the first artificer of metal.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests