Roundhouse 2014

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:14 am

I think the Beddgellert model is a beautiful thing indeed. But there is a reason I am a supporter of freelance designs: cost. Usually anything based on a prototype will have several hundred extra quid thrown on top of the price and for a prospective newbie like me that is quite off-putting.

INJIN
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by INJIN » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Here she is....

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:07 pm

Anyone else think she looks very Irish?
A steam propelled life-style.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:21 pm

pauly:99488 wrote:Anyone else think she looks very Irish?
I was thinking how good she would look with Irish rolling stock - even if not prototypical .....

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:00 pm

I'm finding it increasingly easy to see Beddgelert in NER lined green.

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:07 pm

The Ballymena lines had some large saddle tanks, particularly "the bruiser" 2-6-0T, so I can see what you mean.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm really pleased they made a nice long engine, it won't go round my tight curves so my money is safe for another year :lol: I did find myself very drawn to Charles though.
I think its looks great and they should be commended for bringing out something new, it's not like there is a shortage of locos to choose from these days if you don't like it.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:02 pm

IRON MAN:99430 wrote:Well said dweller of DVT's (ex dweller?).

In our own imaginary histories of the lines, whose to say how many of a certain loco were built. Maybe there were some other locos shaped uncannily like Beddgelert that were destined for an overseas railway but unfortunetly for Hunslet of Leeds the order was cancelled before shipment. Luckily XYZ Railway had a need for a new engine so helps hunslet out and buys them. . .

Some of the pipework details are great on the new release. I was talking to Harry of Roundhouse and he was saying about their new found love of getting patterns 3d printed. This may help explain why the price was lower than I expected.
Hear, hear! That's more or less what I've done with my own line, where I've ended up with models of NWNGR, L&B, Vale of Rheidol and even GER standard gauge prototypes, all running on a line of nominally 2'6" gauge!

I've nothing against freelance designs, but given an entirely free choice I'd usually choose a prototype design, even if I were to then paint it in a freelance livery. I don't quite know why, to be perfectly honest. But I remember that, when deciding which RH loco I wanted to start saving up for all those years ago, Russell appealed to me because it was (at that time) the only prototype design in the catalogue that I recognised (having seen the prototype at the WHR some years previously). For some reason, I just liked the idea of having a model of real engine that I had actually seen in real life.

There is a rich and interesting array of NG prototypes to choose from, each with their own character. I can think of so many full-size engines that I would want for my garden line if I only had the cash! Whereas the freelance designs, though not unattractive, usually just don't grab me in the same way.

But of course, that's personal taste, and I fully agree that the best aspect of the garden railway hobby is the tolerance which (usually!) prevails; indeed, the differing choices and approaches of different modellers give our railways interest and variety.

And, of course, for me these ramblings are largely academic since I'm not going to have the disposable income to buy any more live steamers any time soon!

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:02 pm

williamfj:99492 wrote:I'm finding it increasingly easy to see Beddgelert in NER lined green.
More like NBR, I suspect.
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:02 am

Reminds me a bit of the early Swilly locos, but they were rear and well tanks not saddles.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.