Rowland's Modules - was Joined up Thinking

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:36 pm

top work looking good

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:15 pm

A little more progress - a visit to the Early Learning Centre in Nottingham on Saturday resulted in a (small) flock of sheep being acquired............

.................. and on Friday, paving slabs and kerbstones arrived from http://www.richardstacey.com/welcome.html - they're cut from Real Stone and are horrendously expensive but for a small area they're worth it.

Finally, track laying took place today! The Peco for the through line went down fine - it was when I came to lay the siding that A Problem arose - the second-hand stuff I'd acquired was Tenmille, and I'd not no rail joiners! However, this was overcome with a phone call or three, with the result that the track is now down!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:21 pm

More progress: the track's been ballasted but guess what I used to dribble the glue / water / washing up liquid mix onto it? See the web page www.mdlr.co.uk/mod.html for the answer.............

It's now dried, so more scenic scatter's being appled. I've bought blackboard paint and a length of cheap brassy chain - the use to which this will be put will be revealed shortly......................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:56 pm

This is today's picture: platform complete and stained (but not without a lot of cussing and swearing - note to self - ALWAYS use timber for the base that takes the WHOLE of the brads you nail the top down with). However, this platform NEEDED to be only rail height. Station sign fitted, station buiding placed, baseboard edges and roadway painted . In theory it could go to Peterborough as it is (after a final vacuum down) but I'm adding a few more details before I buy the ply to bolt them together face-to-face for loading.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:01 pm

MDLR:96669 wrote:
rebelego:96643 wrote:Nice! I like the use of kitchen cabinet legs.
There's a requirement in the spec for adjustable legs, so we can all be at the same level, and this seemed to be a readily-available solution. I haven't actually adjusted mine yet (apart from one which was sitting over a hollow in the garage floor - another advantage) but will have a twiddle to get somewhere within range before I pack for Peterborough.
You´ll be grateful that you used adjustable legs, trust me. I used to think that my cellar floor was flat. I now realise that it has the topography of the Alps.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:25 pm

kandnwlr:99070 wrote:I used to think that my cellar floor was flat. I now realise that it has the topography of the Alps.
So are some exhibition halls - I've run on layouts in some where the trains ran noticeably faster in one direction than in the other..............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:55 pm

After a couple of "Oh, $hit!" moments this afternoon (hacking a chunk out of a leg so it'd fit past the battery box) (discovering you've cut the WRONG part of the leg away - it's OK though) as of 1800 tonight, the modules had been separated and fixed face-to-face with mdf boards at either end, ready for loading. I THINK I've got all the other stuff together, too............................ All I've got to do now is finish my MOTY entry and get loaded up!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:13 pm

What´s the depth of the module here? My experience is that the modules look a little "static" and "flat" unless you can come up with agreements about bridges and cuttings. Looking forward to a module that includes a bridge 8)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:20 pm

kandnwlr:99160 wrote:What´s the depth of the module here? My experience is that the modules look a little "static" and "flat" unless you can come up with agreements about bridges and cuttings. Looking forward to a module that includes a bridge  8)
These are nominally 2' deep by 4' long (Imperial measurements - metric are slightly different) and I wouldn't want to go any bigger - Flagg Fluorspar is 2' 8" wide and I wouldn't be able to fit anything bigger in the car!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

IRON MAN
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by IRON MAN » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:50 am

Hi folks,

I'd like to congratulate my Dad for organising what seemed to be a very successful layout this weekend. Thanks to him and 5 other builders we managed to run an impressive first outing. Many thanks also to the people who helped setup/ knockdown and also those of you who helped keep our loco roster topped up.

Best Regards

Dan

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 am

Does anyone have any photos of the modular layout?
Check out my steam and engineering youtube channel at...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8vX4P ... _PnvhldjjA

ax1709cjm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ax1709cjm » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:56 pm

There are a few pictures of the modular layout amongst the ones of the show I took:

http://s196.photobucket.com/user/ax1709 ... t=3&page=1

I'm afraid quite a few of them feature my loco when it was having a run. Theres an onboard video of a trip around the layout here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qX1PAW5iu0

I have to say considering Saturday was the first time all the bits came together I was very impressed, and it seemed to run very well. Well done to all those you did a module!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Thanks for posting that, for someone who couldn't make it the video brings it to life.

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:49 pm

ax1709cjm:99422 wrote:There are a few pictures of the modular layout amongst the ones of the show I took:

http://s196.photobucket.com/user/ax1709 ... t=3&page=1

I'm afraid quite a few of them feature my loco when it was having a run. Theres an onboard video of a trip around the layout here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qX1PAW5iu0

I have to say considering Saturday was the first time all the bits came together I was very impressed, and it seemed to run very well. Well done to all those you did a module!

Nice video Chris, good to see some familiar faces too from the group. We'll done to Gareth, Dan and Harry for giving the project a good push. It looks a fantastic setup that will only improve as the idea catches on.