faller railcar..

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

faller railcar..

Post by jay1976 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Won a faller railcar on ebay £25.25.. looks to be missing the horns and a few internar handrails and add says no driver or drivers seat(all no problem as it will be having my own driver.. and will eventually be repainted(well the bit above the stripe line will be painted) and the intercity bit removed.
possibly also be another to join it so i have a 2 car railbus..
This will also be converted to radio control using my normal RC units.

robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by robc_wa » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:45 am

Good little units these.   I have 2, one of which I converted to RC using a unit from a cheap car. Just forward/reverse, no speed control but my 3yo grandson thinks it’s great.  I managed to shoehorn  the RC gear (which included increase of batteries to 4.5v) under the running board. Must post a pic.

What are your "usual r/c units” and how will you deal with the fact that it has 3v power on board, Most RC seems to need more.

Your wheel arrangement looks strange. different spacing on the power bogie. Mind you the power bogie is largly the same pieces as the chassis from their 0-6-0 locos!

Regards

Rob

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:30 pm

This 1 arrived today(bearing in mind i work nights i still got up to unwrap the parcel(like a big kid))
popped some batteries in it and away it went round a circle of track..
I plan to cut away the battery box and fit a 4X1.5 AA battery box which gives me the 6v for 2.4rc... I hope to fit the rc and micro speed controller underneath or maybe on the floor inside and charging socket somewhere.. I have 2 other faller locos and they run ok on 6v but I do restric the max power to the receivor by lowering the max throttle from TX unit... I am also pretty sure the faller motors are 3-6volt and on another note if you ever get a track powered loco 6v will make them run very slow and will need remotoring(I got mine from ebay and its a case of removing the worm gear on the old motor and refit to the new but I put a little glue to hold the motor in place..
on the battery ones I reakoned if the motor does pack up then its not difficult to put a new motor in place.

Gone and bought a 2nd one today with a load of track(which I can use in sidings) I plan to run them together

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 pm

robc_wa:96853 wrote:
Your wheel arrangement looks strange.  different spacing on the power bogie.   Mind you the power bogie is largly the same pieces as the chassis from their 0-6-0 locos!
I think you'll be able to respace the wheels to something a little more equidistant-looking by re-using existing holes. I think these railcars probably came with a Bo-Co arrangement - whover owned mine before me had removed a different wheelset to whoever owned yours!

I'm very fond of my little railcar - I've retained the underside switch so it can automatically shuttle back and forth...

Have fun with it,

Andrew

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:50 pm

After I checked it worked the wheel which is unpowered on driving bogie is just clipped in place and I moved it closer to the powered one so it looks better.. When I Rc mine I will cut off the underswitch along with the others as they wont be needed..
Then test run for a few weeks to make sure all is ok then a repaint..

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:17 pm

Had it running first of all on my railway(well the short bit laid so far (see in layout section for progress)
the railbus now has 2.4ghz radio control and the unpowered bogie has now been set further under the body to match the powered bogie so it looks a bit more even..
Planned also for the coming month is interior lights and running headlights and a repaint above the swage line and roof(which is removable and doors open as well so easy to put a few people inside
pics of bogie moved once its daylight

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:57 pm

They are great fun, and the parts are interchangeable with other Faller locos (good production methods..saves on lots of parts)

The windows can be tricky to remove...no pulling power though, and you will need to ensure the traction tyres are good.

£25 quid is a lot but seen them go for a lot more!

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: faller railcar..

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:07 pm

jay1976:96788 wrote:Won a faller railcar on ebay £25.25.. looks to be missing the horns and a few internar handrails and add says no driver or drivers seat(all no problem as it will be having my own driver.. and will eventually be repainted(well the bit above the stripe line will be painted) and the intercity bit removed.
possibly also be another to join it so i have a 2 car railbus..
This will also be converted to radio control using my normal RC units.
These are fantastic. But sadly I haven´t been able to find any on the second hand websites out here.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:21 pm

im liking the roof rack very good bit like the ones you see on rusty old camper vans full off old suitcases etc

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:17 pm

kandnwlr:98539 wrote:
These are fantastic. But sadly I haven´t been able to find any on the second hand websites out here.
You could give German eBay a shot - that's where I got mine, the prices were much better than in the UK, presumably because there were more of them out there. I've got another one somewhere which may eventually appear in BR green with "cat's whiskers"...

Andrew.

Peter L
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Peter L » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Andrew:98595 wrote:
kandnwlr:98539 wrote:
You could give German eBay a shot - that's where I got mine, the prices were much better than in the UK, presumably because there were more of them out there. I've got another one somewhere which may eventually appear in BR green with "cat's whiskers"...

Andrew.
This is how I got my pair. Oddly enough the shipping to the U.S. was cheaper from Deutschland then from old Blighty too.

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:47 am

I've got a pair in the post too, watch this space!
Chris Auckland

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:09 pm

here was a red pair on ebay finished recently..

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:14 pm

It may have indeed been those :P

Paid more then I'd planned, but was just a bit too eager to get playing!
Chris Auckland

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:41 pm

Spud, if you're still planning to go down the 45mm route you might find Narrow Minded's thread on re-gauging a Faller railcar useful - http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7151.html

Have fun with 'em,

Andrew.

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:46 pm

Andrew:98682 wrote:Spud, if you're still planning to go down the 45mm route you might find Narrow Minded's thread on re-gauging a Faller railcar useful -  http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7151.html

Have fun with 'em,

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew! I'm not completely sold on 45mm yet, just doesn't look narrow gauge, but we'll see what happens when the railcar arrives and I stare at it long enough
Chris Auckland

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:04 am

I hate to bungle a thread but I'd like to think that this line succeeds in looking NG whilst being 45mm (which is narrow gauge)

The railway which people forgot
(to build)

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:39 am

these were the red ones..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251482936507? ... 1435.l2649

I got outbid and bidded on the blue one he had as well...
I already have 2 of the blue ones the first pictured at the start is now on radio control and works pretty well and the second one will be coupled up permantly so i have a 2 car set up and i plan to link up the second motor to the first with a connecting plug..

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:06 am

That's a good point Jay, I was thinking of only having a single motor in the drive car, but would it be worth linking both together?
Chris Auckland

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:27 pm

I tried 1 railcar on its own and it will pull 2 mamod wagons on the flat with just a bit of wheel spin(that railcar has tracion tyres fitted but i plan on fitting metal whels soon)
2 coupled together should pull a bit more