Jet adaptor in the Leader

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Jet adaptor in the Leader

Post by St.Michael » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:09 am

Hello all :D
Yesterday, for the first time, I couldn´t light up my Accucraft Leader. After many attempts, I decided to clean the jet nozzle. I so did, and that might have solved the problem. But I was really surprised when finding out that the adaptor, holding the nozzle, is just pushed in place in the burner with no screw securing it. I noticed that it could move about 1mm.  And there is a gap against the collar in the back end of it. Thinking that this is a possible source for "false" air to obscure the burning, I wrapped some Pfte tape around it before pressing it back in it´s place. The loco became easier than ever to light, and it got a slightly different sound from the burner. In short, I belive it now works better and even has got a longer running time :D  
And now for the question: The adaptor is still just pushed in place (but now with Pfte tape around it) and after some use, I´m afraid that it will be leaky again.. Have anyone a solution on this? Or am I wrong, maybe it´s not a problem at all?
Regards to all from Michael

Stuvon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stuvon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:44 pm

After having streaming issues with my Ragleth I reseated both the jet and holder with PTFE tape and have found it steams better and runs a lot longer with a cooler smokebox. I don't know how long it will last tho!
Last edited by Stuvon on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart
Manager: Notley Docks Light Railway - Stanway Works
www.photobucket.com/ndlr

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:11 am

I think I shy away from accucraft for this reason. Can the gas burner and filler be ripped out and replaced with the roundhouse counter part? I think this would solve all issues surely??
#projectRoundhouseBilly

Stuvon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stuvon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Someone in my local area has a Caradoc with a roundhouse burner installed, however it is just a noisy (if not louder than mine is now), doesn't appear much easier to light and IMHO doesn't last as long!!
Stuart
Manager: Notley Docks Light Railway - Stanway Works
www.photobucket.com/ndlr

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:17 pm

I am very fond of my Accucr. Leader :D Before I bought it I was warned that the loco would cause me lot of trouble :roll: :roll: (made in china and so on..) But I haven´t rejected for one second that I bought it. The burning problems is something I can cope with, in fact I find it very satisfying managing to solve small problems and get the loco back in working order. And this I have done with all makes I posess, Regner, RH, and the Leader from Accucraft.
So, what I´m trying to say is, that this problem is not big enough to avoid Accucraft locos :D I really hope the different makes will live on and give us many choises when we shall choose motive power...
Regards from Michael

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:20 pm

I know the holder is a push fit but, maybe the copper pipe needs a slight bend to give it a bit of tension. Haven't noticed that problem with mine. One of my other Accys kept getting a blocked jet, maybe some particles in that cheap gas I've been using.

Someone did suggest a filter behind the jet but what would you use?
I did notice a filter in my Pearse loco

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Over on the 16mm NGM association Facebook page a photo was posted of a piece of coffee filter paper which had been mounted behind a jet as a filter for 10 years. Proved its worth as it was a very brown stained colour.

Alternative is a piece of unused teabag material.

Apparently fag filters are no good.

The jet is also a loose fit on my Accucraft Edrig. I guess drilling a small hole, tapping it with the appropriate thread and fitting a small securing screw/bolt like most other manufacturer's do is a solution.

Chris Cairns.

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:34 am

Gremlin

How is that Pearse loco set up on the gas? is it similar to the Accucraft jet?
#projectRoundhouseBilly

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:48 am

Yes it is very similar and does have a set screw to hold the jet housing in place.

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:34 am

Ah I see. Perhaps a small drill and tap would work well?

I have always liked the accucraft excelsior. Wonder if you fit the Milton locomotive works burner, acme gas jet and a larger gas tank from roundhouse (fit dependant) if you could get a longer run out of them?

I suppose my only issue is I quote like a quiet burner....
#projectRoundhouseBilly

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:15 am

With Leader and I don't know if Excelsior is the same, the water will run out before the gas, hence the water level gauge. It is a more hands on engine so if you've stopped for water, why not gas up while pressure is raising so no need for a larger gas tank.
That's saved you a few quid to buy the Milton burner.
Wrapping Accucraft burners in stainless steel mesh does make a difference too.

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:02 am

Hi all :D
I´m wondering if anybody knows of any photos of this?
Wrapping Accucraft burners in stainless steel mesh does make a difference too.
I am very interested, but I need to see some pictures before I dare trying it out on my own loco :!:

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:25 pm

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:21 am

Thank You. Rebelego :D That´s exactly what I needed. And now for the 1000kr question: Do yo know what it is called, and where I can find the right kind of mesh here in Norway :?: :?:
Regards

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:59 am

St.Michael:91262 wrote:Thank You. Rebelego :D That´s exactly what I needed. And now for the 1000kr question: Do yo know what it is called, and where I can find the right kind of mesh here in Norway :?:  :?:
Regards
Something like this should be suitable with a mesh count of 40.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STE ... 6468wt_932

Or you could by a kitchen wire mesh sieve and cut that up.

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:57 am

St.Michael:91262 wrote:..., and where I can find the right kind of mesh here in Norway :?:  :?:
Well, I have just used the mesh from a fry pan lid from Biltema:
http://biltema.no/no/Hjem/Kjokken/Kasse ... ger-85865/
But, the wires are too thin, so it doesn't last very long. I recommend to find something else.

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:33 pm

I bought one of the frying pan splash covers and then tried some stainless mesh from ebay. I will have to dig it out and see if I can identify it.
I know one mesh I tried really made a difference in a bad way. It might have been too fine and changed acoustics of the tube?
Anyway I couldn't understand why the burner at a high setting started to whistle, horrible. Took it off and it was fine and a courser mesh was ok too.
If cut and wrapped round something smaller than the poker it will stay in place or use some of the mesh strands as a wire to bind.

Bit late in replying but had a good excuse, been away in York to see the A4's lined up

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Thank you all for all advices :D :D
I have now ordered mesh with a count of 40 as Superbiker suggested. I think I´ll go for the teabag thing behind the jet also. Is it just one layer, or is it ment to be folded so it gets thicker?

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 pm

The piece of used filter paper that was shown over on the 16mm Facebook page was folded up, so I guess you fold a piece up to fill in the space behind your gas jet in the holder.

Chris Cairns.