laalratty visits the Maesffordd Railway

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

laalratty visits the Maesffordd Railway

Post by laalratty » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Back in the very early days of my interest in Garden Railways, I bought two back issues of Garden Rail, dating from 2004. The second had an article about the "Maesffordd and Nant Gorris Railway", and it really did look like a nice line. Never in my wildest dream did I think that 8 years later, a visit down to Norfolk would allow me to visit the line (now just the Maesffordd Railway). But it just so happened that a steamup for the East Anglian Group of the Association of 16mm Modellers was booked there for the Sunday of my holiday, which I found out about through the lines Facebook page. Having contacted the owner, I took down Russell, Criccieth Castle and four coaches with me to Norfolk and spent a very pleasant bank holiday Sunday afternoon at the MR.
When I arrived, this conversion of an Accucraft Leader was running round
A certain well known electric Quarry Hunslet was out in the slate quarry
A big big conversion high in the gallery
More conventional Accucraft Leader
Passing the terrace
Russell passes Porthcoed
The quarry station (whose name I've forgotten... :roll: )
The back straight
Exiting the tunnel, which is long enough to get properly dark inside, unusually for garden line tunnels. Trains sounded great going through it!
Accucraft Ragleth heading towards Maesffordd sheds
Criccieth Castle was let out at the end of the day
Last train of the day
Many thanks to Paul for letting me invade, it nicely filled what would have otherwise been a boring day moping round in the accommodation. I visited Bressingham with its 16mm scale layout as well later in the week but only found out afterwards that it would have been fine for me to run on it afterwards, worth noting for any 16mm members heading out that way.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks for posting these, lovely photos. Nice to see the latest goings on at Maesffordd, I haven' seen any pictures from there for a while. Like that Leader conversion too...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:08 pm

fabulous photo's :D
Paul's railway has always been one of my favourites too, and it's always a pleasure to see it from different angles. Cracking stuff! :thumbleft: