The Littledale Light Railway

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

The Littledale Light Railway

Post by laalratty » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:36 pm

No, not an NWAG line this time, but a very nice 7 1/4 gauge private line not too far from Lancaster. This opens for the public 2 or 3 times a year for charity as part of the Open Gardens scheme, and having been intending on visiting for about the last 4 years I finally managed to get there myself! The line is a dumb bell shape, same as my ANLR, around 400-500 yards I think but is fitted into the garden in a very impressive way, and it is very much a railway in a garden. Steep gradients and sharp curves make the line very Heywood esque, which is very apt as the house is named Heywood House and its first owner was one Miss Effie Heywood, daughter of Sir Arthur and the woman his first loco was named after.
The lines steam loco is called Tarn Beck, and was influenced in design by the former Fairbourne Railway locos Sian and Katie
Tarn Beck on the lower balloon loop
Pulling into the main station
On the bottom loop, where the railway rounds a imitation Victorian folly
Passing by the main station on the way from the Upper loop, which goes around the house and front garden
The LLR is well worth a visit if you happen to be in the area when it is open. Next year it is hoped to get Tarn Beck's sister loco Afon Glaslyn up for some running, possibly during one of the open days.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:05 pm

Very nice. Thank you for sharing your visit with us visually.

Unfortunately most of us can only dream of having a garden that size.

My modern flat pack home did not even come with a back garden (optional extra). Still not got around to building the back garden yet and of course it is on a slope sideways - just what I need for my Mamod/MSS collection!

Chris Cairns.

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:14 pm

Very nice pic's thank you for sharing laalratty :D
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver