What can you do with a Mamod Loco.....

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

What can you do with a Mamod Loco.....

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:43 am

I bet you have read on here about dougs great work on his Mamod loco's - super idea to document the trials and tribulations for all to follow - very brave to share the good and the bad.

I also like the old Mamod and the (almost) identical MSS locos and spend some time mucking about with them. I have completed 4 so far and am just finishing number 5 with some more in the works. Trying to make them all a bit different.

Thought I would be a little self indulgent and post some pictures here.

Peter Jones Loco Works No 1 "MARGARET"

Peter Jones Loco Works No 2 "RONALD"

Peter Jones Loco Works No 3 "LUCY"

Peter Jones Loco Works No 4 "REBECCA"

Here is a much more standard 'Mamod' with MSS bodywork and some upgrade parts fittted

Last edited by Superbiker_uk on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks for being "self indulgent"! :lol: Excellent modelling and an inspiration to all fellow Mamod-Bashers! ;)

I for one will certainly be lifting ideas from your works of art - I especially like the "lift" that the running boards on Margaret & Rebecca give to the loco's :D

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:55 pm

I for one have already half copied your tender design... I've not quite finished it yet...
But you have a Very nice collection of locos there! I do like Margaret's bunker! it looks soo much better than the plain cab back that comes as standard! :)
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:02 am

You appear to have stolen my name! :crybaby:
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

"Peachbottom was reading over my shoulder and has gone a funny colour, and is also in the kitchen where the Very Sharp Objects live" ~TommyDodd

taliesin
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by taliesin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:50 am

I really like that saddle tank, very inspirational, Rob

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:22 pm

Nicely finished models you have there, quite like the little quarry engine

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:47 am

Peter-

Any details or posts about Rebecca? That is one of the best Mamod conversions I have seen in nearly 25 years of Mamod-ownership.

I also like Margaret's rear bunker, I made a brass one for my Mamod back in the 1980s (even soldered it together myself), but somehow only 2/3s of it still exist today! :shock:
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:34 pm

Spule 4:65791 wrote:
Any details or posts about Rebecca?

You have no idea how much this comment makes me roll....

(my real name is Rebecca)
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

"Peachbottom was reading over my shoulder and has gone a funny colour, and is also in the kitchen where the Very Sharp Objects live" ~TommyDodd

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:40 pm

PeachBottom:65898 wrote:
Spule 4:65791 wrote:

You have no idea how much this comment makes me roll....

(my real name is Rebecca)
It's a good job your name's not Margaret - asking about her rear bunker on a public forum! :lol:

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:56 am

The rear coal bunker on Margaret does make the loco look better proportioned. I fitted a working rear light and the obligatory bucket - here is another picture of the bunker.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:15 am

Here are some more pictures - this loco turned out very well. The Mamod loco frames are shorter than standard - about 22mm removed from the rear. I wanted to make some running boards so I could fit leaf springs. The running board attaches at the front inside the smokebox casting and is actually fixed at the rear to the boiler backplate.

Here are some more pictures (just taken and its damn cold!!)

Image Image
Last edited by Superbiker_uk on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:20 am

Great pic's :D

I see you've attached dummy cylinder covers on your loco's. Some have sanders or toolboxes above 'em on the running boards (which I'm guessing hide bolt heads??), but some have no visible means of fixing - have you glued 'em???

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:30 am

but some have no visible means of fixing - have you glued 'em???
The cylinder covers (one of my favourite mods) fix very well using heavy duty exterior grade double sided self adhesive pads. To make them fit very neatly with the smokebox apron and buffer beam overlays, I radius the corners of the smokebox and also take 1mm off the front edge of the upper edge to make a neat / snug fit:

The fixings hold up OK to oil and heat but if they come off then its just a case of making sure surfaces are completely free of oil and dirt and fitting some more.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:01 pm

VERY neat, thanks for sharing the info! :D

Fortunately, I have a pair of brass sandpots (complete with retaining bolts) from Si's "clearout" that I intend using - as soon as I find a couple of nuts to fit 'em ;)
I'm sure others on here will follow your lead though!

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:25 am

Peter-

Thank you for the added photos and description. Again, a wonderful loco.

The locomotive reminds me of a mix of Quarry Hunslet and the "Ruby" modification by the other (late :cry:) Peter Jones in his book.

If you do not mind, a few more questions:

The saddletank- I assume silver soldered brass? The running boards and springs really set it off, but with that much of the sides and the rear of the boiler, how much impact on heat efficiency is there?

I also assume this is a standard brass MSS/Mamod boiler with upgraded safety.

I like the cut chassis and moving the footplate forward with more of the boiler exposed. There is a bit of overhang to the rear of a standard Mamod/MSS loco. The positive is for those that like meths firing, then there is more tank room.

Similar to your cut chassis..... One of the ideas I had as a youngster in the 1980s was to make a Mamod 0-4-2T. The rear frames could be trimmed, and the bogie piviot could be mounted to an additonal frame cross member just behind the drivers (would help keep things rigid as well) but then there is the matter of the burner. Maybe the gas one could be fitted, but not a conventional meths tank...chicken feed with an upper tank...

As far as details, where did you get that smokebox door dart? The chimney is also a nice touch...and who made the builder's plates?

Again, that is really a very nice Mamod/MSS conversion.
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi Garrett - thank you for your kind words and interest in this loco.
The saddletank-  I assume silver soldered brass?  The running boards and springs really set it off, but with that much of the sides and the rear of the boiler, how much impact on heat efficiency is there?
The saddle tank is silver soldered brass. The rivet datail is simply punched in - in the same way Salem did it on there Mamod upgrade parts and later on their own 'Mamod inspired' locos. In order to get the heat to draw round the standard Mamod pot boiler, there is a gap of 2-3mm between the boiler and the saddle tank. The actual saddle tank simply sits over the top as an interference fit onto the boiler with the cut out for the standard dome and upgrade SV to keep it secure. I have lined the inside of the saddle tank with ceramic sheet and then applied thin adhesive copper sheet on top of that. This serves two purposes - protecting the paint on the saddle tank and improving heating efficiency slightly. I say slightly as these modern gas burner set ups are pretty powerful and I never use them turned right up anyway - obviously a factor here is the soft soldered standard boiler and the plastic sight glass - so care with the gas setting is needed.

The smokebox dart is from DJB Engineering. This is where I get a few of my modelling bits from and they are a good supplier who can be trusted.   http://www.djbengineering.co.uk/index2.html

Smokebox Door Handles, threaded 6 BA. Price: £4.00 set

The builders plates on this one and some of my other locos were made and supplied by Alan Briggs - they are excellent quality but I do not think he is buisness anymore. I have some made by MDC plates and also have some on the way from NarrowPlanet. I have 5 other loco projects on the go at the moment including another Mamodification so numbers 5,6,7,8 and 9 are all waiting to adorn locos that are still in the works shed :)

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:52 pm

If you need an alternative supplier for the smokebox dart, John Prescott http://www.prescottlocos.fsnet.co.uk/ also produces them ;)

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:58 pm

If you need an alternative supplier for the smokebox dart, John Prescott http://www.prescottlocos.fsnet.co.uk/ also produces them
Yes - these are brilliant - I have met John Prescot Snr and the parts they make are first class. Mr Prescot has been quite poorly although he has since made me a superb lost wax brass smokebox for one of my project locos. I have used the Prescot darts on Margaret, Lucy and Ronald as well as the Mamod/MSS loco I have. Super quality - check the picture - here is the one on Ronald:

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Thank you again Peter and Narrow Minded.

Both darts look nice, but I would have to buy them direct from DJB as Mr. Prescott's website says he will not sell to the USA for insurance reasons.

Your comment about insulating the saddle tank again touches on yet another past idea, insulating the insides of the Mamod tanks.  Granted, the heat shields do a good job of directing heat, but I would think that further insulation could be a benefit...plus add just a little more weight over the drivers.

Yes, shame about Mr. Briggs, he and I had communicated about some spoked wheel inserts and a spectacle plate, I guess I should have acted sooner.

Thank you again, and I cannot wait to see what you have in the works based on these excellent Mamodifications.
Garrett

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Your comment about insulating the saddle tank again touches on yet another past idea, insulating the insides of the Mamod tanks.
This is a good idea for all Mamod locos modified or not. It was only when I found out about the 1mm ceramic blanket that DJB sells that I started to use the method that I have briefly described for Rebecca. Prior to that I used to use the silver metalic foil type stuff that is used on the bulkhead of car engine bays to deflect heat. You can get this stuff very easily of ebay. This material works just as well to protect the paintwork as well as deflect heat back to the boiler where it is of course most needed :)